Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judging interest for group buy 4D56T (Hyundai D4BF)

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I'm potentially interested, I'm about 20 miles south of the WA/Canadian border and with the exchange rate as favorable as it sis right now I've quotes from several importers near and around Vancouver for brand new Hyunday D4BF crate motors imported into the Us for about $4,500.

Thrillskier, I'd be interested in reaching out to your supplier to see what he can offer. I won't be ready to pull the trigger for another month or two so your Sept 30th deadline wont work for me.

Are you willing to post 'Shane Arnold's' contact info for the rest of us?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by na3s View Post
    Hyunday D4BF crate motors imported into the Us for about $4,500
    That sounds very steep for the inferior non-intercooled version with the US dollar at nearly historic highs...

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Does Hyundai even make an intercooled version? Either way, it's not too hard to add one after the fact, is it? I'm hoping thillskier gets back to us to give us some more details - I'm wondering if it's a Hyundai or some no-name engine. The price he mentioned was pretty good (AUD $4445 = USD$3100) if it's something reliable. He also hasn't mentioned where it will be shipping from. Perhaps we should try to track down Shane and ask him ourselves.....

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Hyundai's intercooled version that goes in the Galloper (SUV) and Starex (van) is D4BH. If thillskier can get them through the Hyundai plant in Alabama, that's fine but the market is flooded with Chinese fakes. They're all over Alibaba. I'm skeptical of anything that doesn't come from Korea direct.

The Australian dollar is absolutely tanking. 72 US cents to 1 Aussie dollar and it's falling.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I've no interest in the Hyundai D4BH, in addition to it being intercooled, it's also ECU managed; it's pretty simple to add a generic front mounted intercooler to the D4BF.

It's my understanding that there is no difference in quality between the Hyundai D4BF and the Mitsubishi 4D56t, they're the same motor aside for the valve cover, simply manufactred by Hyundai under license from Mitsubishi.

There are several variations of this motor with different configurations of the head/cam, indirect/direct injection, ip/ecu, intercooled/na, etc...

http://www.hyundaiengine.com/auto_diesel/00_main.html

My attraction to the D4BF stems from it's time tested reliability, incredibly simple configuration, and lack of electronics. It wil provide more than enough power and torque for my needs.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    D4BH/4D56 intercooled is all mechanical. There's no ECU. All there is by way of circuit boards is a glow plug controller and you don't need that to run.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    So I've finally heard back from a South Korean supplier I've been in contact with who is an authorized OEM Hyundai dealer in regard to purchasing a brand new D4BF crate motor.

His company typically has a minimum quantity order of 40, but through more than a few emails, I've been able to convince him that I'm in search of an initial 1 engine to be used in the prototyping of a 'non-highway agricultural implement' I'm 'developing' and hope to bring to market in the next year or so.

In light of a potential new market, he's provided me with a very attractive quote, slightly lower than what 'Thrillskier' mentioned.

I'm planning on going through with the purchase in a month or two as his price quote is good through Dec '15. Once I do, I'll gladly publish all of my contact info, pricing, info, etc. for anyone else who may want o pursue the same avenue.

My dilemma now is determining how to legally import the motor from South Korea.

I've reached out to a few importers but haven't gotten any definitive answers yet.

I know it can be done as several members here and on other forums have bought/imported these motors from Canada, I'm hoping one of them will chime in.

I found a phone # for user '4D55Performance', Spencer?, on another forum, called and left him a voicemail... Really hoping he calls me back as he seems to have more first hand experience with this than anyone else. Is anyone in contact with him? I see he hasn't signed in on here in over a year....

After reading through pages and pages of EPA regulations I'm leaning toward claiming 'D' '9' on the the EPA's 'United States Environmental Protection Agency Engine Declaration Form Importation of Engines, Vehicles, and Equipment Subject to Federal Air Pollution Regulations' form - http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...ts/3520-21.pdf

Can anyone shed any light/experience/know a good importer authorized to work via the Port of Seattle?

I'd appreciate any insights, thanks!

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Further research has revealed the solution, and it's far simpler than I had originally anticipated.

Upon import, use EPA Form 3520-1 and claim 'Code W' under the 'Excluded Vehicles' section - http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/3520-1.pdf

It's fully explained here - http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production.../420b11015.pdf

Now it's merely a matter of getting my pennies together!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Very nice! I was told to say it's intended use was as a backup generator and there wouldn't be any problems.

Array
    Status
    USA, PNW
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    The problem I ran into was I had heard all sorts of the same thing, i.e 'say its for a fork lift', 'say it's for an unmounted farm application', etc....

But when it comes down to filling out the Customs/EPA import form, you need to know exactly which code an/or bylaws apply and will hold up.

The approach above should work as an exporter of these motors sent me photocopy of the above document, filled out as described, and previously used to successfully import this exact D4BF motor into the US.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    D4BH/4D56 intercooled is all mechanical. There's no ECU. All there is by way of circuit boards is a glow plug controller and you don't need that to run.

But that link that he provided definitely says
    "ETC(electronic throttle control) | ECU CONTROL"

http://www.hyundaiengine.com/auto_diesel/06_d4bh.html

I wish there was a pic of the other side of the engine - I want to see if is still the same IP as on my 85 4d55.

Last edited by huff; 09-28-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: forgot to include quote at first.

Array
    Status
    Quito, ECUADOR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Strada
    Engine

4G63
    Hello from South America!

This is my very first post here, and wanted to know if there were any updates on the thread? I have a very keen interest on this subject, since I foresee there will be a large demand form an important demographic group in my country very soon. Fuel subsidy is being eliminated by government, people will want cheaper fuel, better economy and will refrain from buying new vehicles.

If there is still an option to latch into an eventual purchase via Shane, I'd surely be interested. Or if you could PM me his info, I'd like to ask him if he'd be interested in doing some business in this part of the world. Thanks and blessings,

Array
    Status
    Quito, ECUADOR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Strada
    Engine

4G63
    BTW, forgot to mention that my personal interest in the thread is an engine for my 1991 L300 4x4. On my profile I had to put Strada since there was no option for mine. Maybe an admin could help??

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by longuito View Post
    BTW, forgot to mention that my personal interest in the thread is an engine for my 1991 L300 4x4. On my profile I had to put Strada since there was no option for mine. Maybe an admin could help??
    Is it like the Delica? They are a cool but slightly crazy contraption out of the Mitsubishi stable. L300 meets Mad Max (hmm, seems very fitting for this site...)

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    longuito, have you considered the Subaru Boxer diesel motor? They're have been put into those Volkswagen westafalia vans and have had good success. Here's a link: http://boxeer.com/ They have some pretty good modifications for their vans and they seem to work alright. There's a build thread for a guy from Tennessee who but one in his Volkswagen and then drove it down to Patagonia. I believe he's on his way back now after leaving a year ago.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by longuito View Post
    Hello from South America!

This is my very first post here, and wanted to know if there were any updates on the thread? I have a very keen interest on this subject, since I foresee there will be a large demand form an important demographic group in my country very soon. Fuel subsidy is being eliminated by government, people will want cheaper fuel, better economy and will refrain from buying new vehicles.

If there is still an option to latch into an eventual purchase via Shane, I'd surely be interested. Or if you could PM me his info, I'd like to ask him if he'd be interested in doing some business in this part of the world. Thanks and blessings,
    The only update I have is that Tommy (thillskier) responded to me saying he was not able to place his order, and basically lost contact with Shane Arnold in Australia.

Soooo... we're back to square #1.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Sorry everyone, Had some financial emergencies re business, sooo, I had to stop after I didn't get any follow up from Australia. Its really been a WEIRD deal to attempt this buy. Originally (for newbies to the saga and trying to do this) I had a chinese supplier who bought used engines from Japan. He and I agreed to do a one engine test, for 1800. I sent a deposit(PAYPAL!! only! to be protected) 300.00 USD, and after a few weeks, they tried raising the price a couple times, so I had to get a paypal refund.

Its been a long strange "trip" for sure.. I sure HOPE someone (or I) can do this. IF I get another supplier I think I may post it up and let the deal fly...I SUSPECT that will definitely fail, as its got to be organized, IMHO to make palletizing and shipping work.

The reson we can't get from Hyundai here, in Alabama, is because its a non approved engine for auto/truck application in USA. THe emission regs are less tough for ag, bu gensets, and truck refers, where they are mostly used in USA today. A few forklifts as well.
    Also, all MY research has shown the engines to be a NON ECU controlled (mechanical fuel pump) engine, and the pump is very similar to the great Bosch pumps used on Dodge/cummins pickups before 1998.5 (24v) engines..Easy to adjust hp and tq (fuel) delivery.for more power!

If I find anything usefull, I will come back online, and share. I'd appreciate a PM or email if someone figures a way to import a new unit, reasonably, again...

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    I imported mine from Maximum Overdrive in Canada about 7 years ago, the process was pretty easy and took about 1 month. The motor has been flawless!

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I looked up the site http://www.maxoverdrive.ca/ I sent them an email asking if they still do this and if they would help getting motors into the US.

EDIT- They responded "Yes we do"
    Addendum to my edit. I just noticed the response email is from a gmail addy with no indication of the website or company????? I sent the email to this address on the bottom right of the linked page Sales@maxoverdrive.ca I'd have expected the reply to have come from the same maxoverdrive.ca address.
    I'm think I am saying, be careful.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 12-13-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    I looked up the site http://www.maxoverdrive.ca/ I sent them an email asking if they still do this and if they would help getting motors into the US.

Addendum to my edit. I just noticed the response email is from a gmail addy with no indication of the website or company????? I sent the email to this address on the bottom right of the linked page Sales@maxoverdrive.ca I'd have expected the reply to have come from the same maxoverdrive.ca address.
    ...ohhh

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post

No need to worry, I've talked to several other people that has ordered from them with no problems. He was great to deal with and has been in business for many years.
    I often answer my work emails from my cell phone that sends back out under my personal address.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    he is ligit

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Someone in California is selling new diesels (non intercooled) for $6000! yikes! On ebay, used still 2500 but pick up only, and in WA state, a looong away from Alabama!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12