Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judging interest for group buy 4D56T (Hyundai D4BF)

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T

Judging interest for group buy 4D56T (Hyundai D4BF)

Testing the waters for a potential group buy. As some of you know I travel extensively for work in Asia. Primarily: Japan, So Korea, China (lived there a few years back) Taiwan and Thailand. I have some very good connections in So. Korea and he is willing to help with the logistics of a order for some engines. Personally I am looking at 1, however this is way lower than the minimum order quantity. These will be coming directly from Hyundai and are the D4BF 2.5L diesel. Replacement for the Mitsubishi 4D56T. Non intercooled, They will include starter, alternator, flywheel and clutch. All brand new. Timing will be arrival in USA April/May 2015.

I'm trying to get an idea if there is any interest, and therefore if I should continue to pursue this idea.

Rough cost $4k each landed in USA.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Received shipping quote today, Looks like they will be slightly under $3800 each. Still confirming if there will be import tax or duties, should know by the end of the week and then will have a final cost. Need to have 4 or more engines committed to get the ball rolling.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    These include the turbo and fuel pump, right?

Does shipped mean delivered to an address or picked up at a depot or port?

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    These include the turbo and fuel pump, right?

Does shipped mean delivered to an address or picked up at a depot or port?
    Yes Turbo and injection pump is included. I'll get a complete list together shortly.

Shipped means that the entire group gets to Milwaukee, WI. They can either be picked up here, or I can arrange shipment, or purchaser can arrange shipment to final destination.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Did this thing ever happen?

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    nope. too little interest

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Interesting. I thought there would have been enough. I sent you a PM.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    replied

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Is this being resurrected for the fifth time?

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Well, plh mentioned that there was very little interest, so I wrote to him to get some details. I thought it so strange, since there where quite a few people who piped in on your post.
    (i.e.: mighty spx, buicken, thillskier, coyotefiveoh, Jon_L (specifically looking for a 3k price), a914622 (specifically looking for $3k), and minnisp).

Noahwins, in your post you mentioned getting 3 different quotes, but you never published what the quotes were. Would you mind digging up those numbers for us please?
    Plh, you gave us a quote of $3800, but mentioned there might be additional duties and fees - were you ever able to get a final total? Also, if we can get enough commitments this time around, can the deal be resurrected?

Frankly, I think $3000 is a pipe dream. I tend to trust Mike Warme when it comes to pricing on these things, and he was pretty close to the nose: estimating a $4k price. Spencer, you threw out a $3k figure as the "magic number"; was that how much you ended up paying for yours? Or was it more of a comment on how difficult it is to put together a group buy?

Anyhow, if we can resurrect it, I'm in for $4000.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I got quotes for $4500 each shipped, then $4200 and $4100 without shipping. I also heard as good as $3800 shipping from someone else (can't remember who) who was calling around. The quotes I got were without haggling so the price could go down. Also the Korean won is much weaker than it was back then. I agree that Mike knows the market the best. $4000 sounds about right.

I think it's going to take someone putting up $16,000 for the minimum order of 4 and then selling the other 3 themselves for people to actually buy.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I think plh mentioned the minimum order for him was 6, actually. So counting him, you, and myself, we need 3 more. (That's assuming he is still interested.)

Array
    Status
    hartford ct
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Shogun
    Engine

4D55-T
    i was interested, but had mine rebuilt . came out to 3100 wirh a pump rebuild, but, i did some things myself. the turbo blew 6 months later, that cost me another 500 bucks.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    did you get a new turbo or rebuild your old one? I've been wondering if one of the tf035 VGT style turbos found on the later model 4d56 would be compatible (same type of actuation?) and if it would provide any significant performance gain.

If I rebuild my 4d55, I'm going to need a new crankshaft.

Array
    Status
    hartford ct
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Shogun
    Engine

4D55-T
    i had mine rebuilt. it was the cheaper option. it is a non waste gate oil cooled turbo. the later 4d56 turbos are watercooled , you will need a new waterpump, some fitting lines to the block, and a little exhuast work.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I'd be interested still. Maybe PM others, if like me, the got busy and haven't been back on here to show interest (or not) still...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I will make this happen on day, one way or another.

Array
    Status
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Likely a dumb question, but how bad is the swap for an 85 4x4? I maybe interested if its something I can tackle...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I think you have to use a different oil pan and maybe one or two other things. But it fits any wideblock transmission and the engine mounts. No mods needed.

Array
    Status
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Alright, I need to get it back on the road first, make sure I've got the non-engine issues worked out. I'll keep an eye on this thread though. I saw you posted on some other sites, how many people do you have in the game right now?

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by donvier View Post
    Alright, I need to get it back on the road first, make sure I've got the non-engine issues worked out. I'll keep an eye on this thread though. I saw you posted on some other sites, how many people do you have in the game right now?
    roll call?

I'm in.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    One thing I learned is no one is "in" until they post pictures of a newspaper with the date showing with $4000 in $100 bills spread out on it and there's video of them depositing the cash into your account at the bank.

Again, I am skeptical this will ever happen unless one person buys a complete shipment and sells them piecemeal on eBay or here and is willing to wait a year or two for them to all sell.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    lol. I wonder how much markup one could charge if they did that? 500 maybe?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Maybe, depending on what kind of deal for shipping you could get to get them to your door. $4500 is about the most people will spend. That's a little more than 10% profit. And eBay takes a 10% cut if you sell them there. My theory is you'd have to be willing to sit on them for a year or two, or ,aybe even longer. These are the biggest ticket items available for a very, very small niche in a weak economy. They're worth more than most trucks. You have a handful of people at most who a) have the need for one and b) have the money for one.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    OK I have this offer.I checked the guy and company out, and they are legit. This was w/o haggling and or a gb type situation, just me asking and him quoting. I followed up with an ask re used engines as well, with asking for a description of the used engine and its condition, miles traveled, etc. ALso asked for the included accessories with the new engine.As soon as he emails me back, I'll post it up on here. May start a new thread if this one seems "dead", since I AM going to buy me one, at least.
    Apparently the shipping is the same almost for one (on a pallet or up to 4 on a pallet)
    He said
    " SHANE ARNOLD To 'thillskier@yahoo.com'

Today at 6:01 PM

HI Tommy,

I can supply these engines direct to you. Cost you would be looking at AUD $4445 per unit plus freight. I will need to check on the freight charge, depending on how you want them sent. Ie air or sea freight. Would also need to know quantities.

Thanks

Shane Arnold

As soon as I get the remaining info, I'llmpost it up.

Also, I AM NOT GOING TO BUY BUT ONE!!! for myself!
    IF anyone else wants one (and share shipping) I have it set up for them to (LIKE MY PURCHASE) paypal (or whatever your comfortable doing on international business). PM or post up for details IF you want one or are interested..
    Tommy Hill
    pM for my info and phone #, if interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast