Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

new guy sorry

Hi my name is gabe sorry about the user name....So I have a 1986 power ram 50 with a 2.6l that I picked up from rick dees on your forum. Great guy and filled with knowledge... but any way I have looked and probably over looked the stock ignition coil wiring diagram and schematics but rick and myself have tried a couple of ways of wiring up the ignition coil and at some point we ( most likely me) fried the pick up coil so I found one from a junk yard and installed it. The pick up coils are not cheap as you all probly know. I just need a pic of stock ignition coil wiring so I can stop stressing and pullin my hair out lol thank you all so much hopefully you guys can help

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    And if I run a msd blaster 2 coil do I kneed the resistor hooked up

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes you need the ballast resistor with the blaster 2 msd coil in place of any stock ballast resistor. I don't have an 86 manual handy, but there should be one on the forum in the manuals section.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If the coil is a 1.5 Ohm resistance Yes, if it's a 3.0 Ohm No. Right PM?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    You need more details. Before he got it running we checked the spark at the plugs. I felt that it looked weak.
    We did have it running for, oh say twenty minutes. Then died. It would start up then died a couple of times. Then no fire at all.
    That's when Gabe swapped coil with the resistor hooked up.
    We did check it for spark at the coil wire but (If I remember correct) only get spark when the key is turned off.

can th, <--- that is funny. You should be sorry.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    wiring on the coil is wrong, and the ballast resistor for an MSD coil is .75 - .8 ohms - 1.5 is too much.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thank you guys for your input i finally got disent spark and now im movin on to cleaning and rebuilding the carb wish me luck thanks again............
    rick I'll see you later!!!!!

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Any tips on the carb issue 32/ 36 dgev webber

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Floats adjustment must be precise, and when adjusting mixture/idle be sure to follow Webers strict instructions about mixture adjustment and screw turns.

A ballast resistor changes resistance based on the current flowing through it.

LOL Rick, Can th

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey me again ....... so rick and i got the carb rebuilt and some-what adjusted wasnt as horrible as i thought it would be any way we set the timing and adjusted the rpm 750 at 7° btdc we let it run a lil bit and started it and stopped it a couple of times worked great. Any way long story short... the other day i purchased a brand new MSD 6A IGNITION BOX & BLASTER 2 coil with a ballast resistor. I figured i would get the truck running and adjusted before i installed any of that so i would be sure the engine was running and operating properlyand it did and was
    The time came that i installed the new msd box, coil, and resistor. I did that to the specs that came with the box and help off the forums your previous members have posted and and tryed to turn it over and nothing . So rick and i tested the msd set-up as explained by a MSD REP. in a video and we got perfect good strong blue spark at about a 1/2 " from the nearest ground so we tried turn it over again and cranks but no spark to the distributer. So i immidiately thought about the " pick-up coil/ ICM so i got a new one with warrnty thank god. I installed it and checked for spark @ the #1plug and it worked we got spark but not like an msd should be you know ( loud snap and strong blue spark) insted we got a spark similar to a stock set up. In my opinion and im pretty sure rick would agree. Any way rick and i decided to boost the spark we would try and bypass the ballast resistor and direct connect to the coil itself well after we connected it that way rick gave it a crank and it had the same ammount of spark as before and all of a sudden we lost spark . So rick and i ran the msd spark tests for the box and coil again and it was awesome great spark but nothing at the dizzy so i think we fried the damn icm again so i got a new one on order it will be here thursday .... but my question is......
    shouldent my spark be stronger than stock with the new set up?
    What in the hell is the ballast resistor for? And do i need to run the ballast now that i have the 6a box? And can i bypass it .
    and can i get a better icm any where?
    Hope u guys can help i need to get this thing on the road thanks again

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    You have a 3 wire starter on that truck? I think there should. Does the truck crank slower when ya try to start it now. Sometimes getting less then 12 volts during start up will be a problem with the 3rd wire not connected to the starter solenoid.
    When your truck is running, tap that ballast and see if that thing is hot, if it is, it's doing it's job I hope and saving your ignition system. Careful though they can scorch you good. They keep the voltage in check.
    Sometimes you should make one change at a time also with ignition mods. Making a series of changes can get confusing.
    You say you connected it up by the book, have you tried calling the company you purchases it from. These places usually have great techs to help you fix your issues. You need to be careful with those systems cause the weakest link is always the most expensive and that's the darn modules. Spark should be stronger, yes. It allows you to run a wider spark plug gap for a more efficient fuel burn. That's what those those things do. Though going to wide starts working against the performance and you may develop misses.

Tell us about the coil you purchased. What resistance is it and stuff. This will tell you if you need a ballast riding on top of it. Plug in some numbers here so we know what kind of voltage your throwing into your dizzy.

I would call tech support though, It's their hardware and they know best how their stuff works and they can help you trouble shoot your problem. If they won't help you, return the stuff.

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks b rad i will get back to tomorrow some time with the numbers and some pics of what i got going on .. starter ignition coil and etc.i appreciate your input and will get back to you asap plus my new icm comes in tomorrow

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I used to run an MSD 5 with the original blaster coil on Geronimo, until a loose wire to the coil blew the MSD twice. I gave up on it because I didn't see a real gain with it there. I got better performance running NGK platimum plugs and Nology wires, although the wires may not have as much to do with his running as the plugs and the Blaster coil.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    clackamas,OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey where in the hell is the msd area on this forum i cant find the damn thing now that i dont need it

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6