Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Replacing the stock deck

I am interested in replacing the stock deck with a cd player. Everything looks fairly straight forward, but I just wanted to ask around for suggestions before I dig into this project.

The main question that I have is whether or not I will need a new bracket and/or wiring harness. So far I haven't had much luck with finding either. So if someone has some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I actually spoke too soon on the wiring harness, I just found and purchased one. I am still trying to track down a dash kit for an aftermarket deck though...... Any suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There aren't any for our trucks - you have to use a dremel and cut the bezel and dash to fit the new one in. I have an old Craig road rated receiver in mine that nearly fit in place of the old unit. It was the first component receiver for car audio made in 1981 - totally analog and built with fantastic bass output, although it has no amp - must run outboard amps. It was one of the best units made back then. Be sure to groung the head unit to ground and not the black ground wire in the dash harness - its not true ground and runs through the dimmer switch. I have spare bezels if you don't want to cut up yours.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Fernley, NV 89408
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    just run the radio ground to the truck chase
    there is no ground in the wiring harness
    if you see on it is for the OEM radio light
    good luck

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey thanks for the input. The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is cutting out that stock deck. But the rest I'm pretty confident in. I use to play with stereos back when I got my second truck ('92 Ford Ranger). I just don't like the idea of having to cut it out, but I guess it is what it is. Again, I appreciate the advice though.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Penny has it right, just some patience, a Dremel, and some reinforced cutting discs...the world is a better sounding place.

As far as removing the stock deck, should only need to remove the knobs, behind which are 2 nuts on the volume and dial posts. Remove those and the rest should be down hill. The Dremel comes in for widening the stock hole.

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    OK! That makes more sense. Not that I ever questioned the advice, I was just thinking it was a lil intense if they just built it as part of the dash. For some odd reason when I had read Penny's response I thought he meant that it was all one piece, and you have to cut it out! But now I get it. Perhaps I should stop reading and responding at 2am.