Array
    Status
    gj co
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Hello from CO

Hello. I just bought a 1983 power ram 50. 4wd and automatic. I got it cheap because it has a blown engine. Its also got fresh paint, very straight body, new exhaust, new webber carb, refurbished radiator. Has good tires, some sort of nice alloy wheels.

I have a couple of questions,, yes I did search, but didnt find the specific info.

Im wondering, just what transmission my little truck has,, and what if any other engines might bolt up to it,, any adaptors available for the bell housing? Does my engine have the wide spacing between bell housing bolt holes, or the narrow(12.5 vs 10.5")?

Im figuring to spend around 3000 max on either a rebuild using a new non jet valve head,, or slightly less if I do it myself,, or about the same on a swap. Really, I would like to do a swap,, v6, v8.

Figuring best Im going to get from a budget 2.6 build is around 130 hp. Yet many 6 or 8 cyl engines can match, or even double that.

Its just a fun truck, no specific purpose for it. Just a cool, somewhat rare mini 4wd.

I used to be into datsuns, isuzu, and DSMs. No way I would have gotten back into old vehicles again, but this truck is soo clean and nice I couldnt pass on it.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Have any pictures, we like to see members trucks. Your Truck was I think one year shy of Dodges 4x4 small truck of the year at that time. Dodge really kick Toyota and Datsun butt. More power, more torque, more load hauling, independent front wheel suspension, pretty bad ass truck back then.
    The bell housing is 12.5 or 13.5 and I am guessing it was a 6 bolt Astron narrowblock, but I am not positive. Also it should be a hemi head engine too.

Mitsubishi offered both manual and automatic transmissions on there Trucks from 1983-1986. The transmissions offered were KM131, KM132, KM145. To save weight Mitsubishi used an integrated transmission and transfer case.[6] The transmission is shifted through the top of the transfer case. The only transfercase offered was the manual shift KM100. The transfercase connects to the drivelines via slip yokes. All Mitsubishi Trucks with the optional Turbodiesel, came with a hydraulic clutch while all gasoline trucks use a manual cable style clutch, thus the two transmissions are not easily interchangeable. To distinguish themselves from the Dodge Ram 50 pickups, Mitsubishi did not offer the Automatic or 4 speed transmission on there 4wd model Trucks.

I am not positive on this either but it could of been a 3-speed Automatic Torqueflight transmission. Swapping parts I am lost right now, maybe someone else has better answers.

Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    gj co
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks. I had read somewhere that it might be a chrysler transmission, but cant find an actual part number, or a page with actual specs for the vehicle. In any case, probably the bolt pattern for the bell housing is specific to the 2.6,,, so I guess it wouldnt fit much else anyway.

Ill get pics this week end.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    from 79-86 all automatics for these trucks have the same bolt pattern (narrow block), so if you find an auto for a 2.0 or 2.6, it will work. The tranny is an aisin warner "baby 904" licensed from chrysler, so an american 904 will not work. Welcome to the forum.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    gj co
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, thanks for verifying that. I found a page somewhere, that explains how the 904 trans was used for the 2.6 cars, but I didnt know it wasnt manufactured as a standard 904. Heres where I have ended up at. A 318 and a 904 are a good combo, and I can have those for the same cost as a rebuilt 2.6. Im wondering if the 4x4 transfer case will attach to the USA 904 trans so I could keep it 4wd but have the 318. Or is there a 904 4x4 trans already available for a 318?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Here is a video of a guy that dropped a 318 in his truck with a 904 Torque Flight Trany behind it. I like this truck a lot because he really had a clean looking installation shown. He also kept it pretty simple too, another plus that is a time saver.

It is so strange to hear that V8 roar coming from a tiny little minitruck.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^and it is more than a little surprising that the factory rear end is doing an amicable job at transferring all that brute torque from the engine and transmission combo.

Array
    Status
    gj co
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah, it seems to me that the biggest challenges would be getting the v8 engine fitted in the correct location, and keeping the 4wd. After those, plumbing an old v8 should be easy. Even throttle linkages should not be too difficult. Im going to prioritize my searching for 904 4wd trans info, and engine mounts...I think the 318/904 swap should be the most economical,, and possibly the most ideal as well.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    may be easier to get a transfer case for a US 904 trans than trying to use the mitsu one - not sure which side the front shaft exits on chrysler 4x4 cases - you could also go divorced transfer case, but space may be an issue
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980