Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Cylinder Liners/Sleeves

Anybody know where to get new Sleeves (good ones, not chinese knock offs).

A while back i had a disaster with my little diesel, and the machine shop can't fix the #2 cylinder scarring. I told them i would find out if i could get Sleeves before we went any further.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    get ahold of Mike Warme - he's got the good ones
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks Pennyman! Any GOOD machine shop will provide them for you as the sleeve is a basic size. I just had a sleeve replaced in a block and it was $80 for the sleeve and the machine work!

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Sorry for the delay in my response, been fixing my motorcycle so i have something cheap to run

You wouldn't happen to have a part number or maybe dimensions that i can give to the guy behind the counter. the kid behind the counter isn't exactly brilliant and he's the one he tells the machinist what needs to be done/relays information to him, He's also the one who orders in the parts.

It's a reputable shop, Stoicheff's in State College PA, IIRC they also have 3 other machine shops in PA (one in Philly, one in Harrisburg, another in Pittsburgh i beleive and there might be another one)

Normally they specialize in parts and machine work for rare/antique/unusual vehicles. The kid behind the counter scratched his head when i told him it was a 4D55 Engine Block, but the machinist recognized it when i unloaded it from the back of my dakota (usually a good sign when the machinist can tell you what the engine is, before you even tell him what it is )

I spoke with the machinist on the phone a while back, and he mentioned that one of the sleeves was rusting through from the inside (#2, the same one that was damaged by the broken rings). The rest of the engine is bored 40 Over, would i be better off replacing 1 Sleeve and getting it bored 40 to match the rest. Or replace them all on the thought of going back to Standard Bore and getting rid of any rust that may be hiding.

Another machine shop, in Harrisburg (about a 2.5 Hour round trip) wants $690 to replace the sleeves in the block, plus another $120 to deck it (they highly suggested i have it decked after replacing more than 1 sleeve).

Stoicheff's on the other hand (who i've dealt with before, on more common but old engines) charged me $120 to Hot Tank my Engine, Bore it Out (to 20 over, and when that didn't fix the number 2, they took it to 40 after checking with me on what size pistons i wanted), Hone it & Replace the Balancing Shaft Bearings.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    It doesn't sound very reputable to me. I am guessing you have 4-10 machine shop with in an hour of your place that can do this job for $80 a sleeve. I recommend looking a little harder.

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    It doesn't sound very reputable to me. I am guessing you have 4-10 machine shop with in an hour of your place that can do this job for $80 a sleeve. I recommend looking a little harder.
    Nowhere near that amount of machine shops, and the further away from home i venture, the more expensive the qoutes get. There used to be a shop in town, but when the guy retired the shop closed up. That puts the closest shop (Stoicheff's) at 30+ Miles away, H-P Engines is about the same distance and they wouldn't touch my engine because they couldn't get parts for it, Then i beleive the next closest shop is Feaser's in Harrisburg (about 70 miles away) and they wanted $690 for the sleeve work.

The few other places i called couldn't work on it, because they couldn't find a source for the sleeves either.

I guess i could leave the Chrysler 340 Small Block (gas engine) in the truck (dropped it in after the diesel crapped out) and forget about running the diesel. At least i know i can get parts for the 340, and know those engines like the back of my hand

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    your people are pretty ignorant as you can get all parts for this engine. The sleeves are not specific to this engine at all. Pretty common size that a good shop trims to length. I would ONLY replace the one sleeve. Let me know I can get one from my guy and hook you up. You've turned your truck into a $5 truck by leaving the gas engine in it if it was a diesel from day 1. These trucks are worth the money as they sell for decent money unless a rusty POS.

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    your people are pretty ignorant as you can get all parts for this engine. The sleeves are not specific to this engine at all. Pretty common size that a good shop trims to length. I would ONLY replace the one sleeve. Let me know I can get one from my guy and hook you up. You've turned your truck into a $5 truck by leaving the gas engine in it if it was a diesel from day 1. These trucks are worth the money as they sell for decent money unless a rusty POS.
    I think part of it is lazy people behind the counter. It's not a Chevy 350 so they don't want to take the time to look up the parts.

I spoke with the machinist again, and he's searching around to see if he can get the sleeve. I'll let you know if i need that sleeve, Mike. I appreciate the offer.

My truck started as a $5 truck, so it's no big deal to run a gas engine in it. It was originally a 2.6L Truck. The 2.6 kicked the bucket at 270,000 Miles (give or take a little bit). The Cab has been replaced twice, the Bed has been replaced twice, the frame has been replaced, it's on it's 6th transmission (5 of them being KM145's. The original 904 Automatic still worked, but i wanted a 5-speed. big mistake)

It's a sentimental value truck, it was my dad's first new truck, and later it became my first truck. For 20+ Years it was used as a Work Truck / Plow Truck. I replaced the cab with a virtually rust free cab (that had been hit on the passenger side, the door & fender were smacked in). Replaced the Door, Fender, Rockers & Cab Corners (Body damage/dented/caved in.)

I'm going to finish the body work, roll it into the paint booth and then use the truck as Advertisement for the Garage/Body Shop (signs on the doors & tailgate) and as a Daily Driver (a win-win situation, good fuel mileage and advertisement through the same vehicle). Here's what it looked like last year :

I have a pair of better doors to swap on the truck, and new Cab Corners to install. A Jeep Dana 44 Front Axle to install (currently running a Dana 35) and a few other things to do

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Hey Mike, can you still get me that sleeve? How much would it cost? (including a rough idea on shipping too). I get paid on friday, I could deposit the money into my account (I use Paypal, does that work for you?) And would be ready as soon as you let me know.