Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

CRANKSHAFT ISSUE, CRANK SPROCKET, Blancer Shaft Sprocket Woodruff Key

Ok long story short noticed one day my truck was very weak it basically had no power and I had no idea what was wrong with it. Did a compression test and got low readings across the board 75-80 PSI. Also notice a little bit of engine oil in the rad. Popped the head off head gasket was blown. So here is the next problem I run into. I noticed while cleaning the crank sprocket they the area were the woodruff rides was missing a chunk (also realized this is why my truck was acting weird timing was thrown off and why compression was low on all cylinders). Also noticed the the woodruff key is also missing a chunk. Posted some pictures of the woodruff key, crank sprocket, and balance shaft sprocket. Wanted to know if anyone had these items for sale or if anyone knows were I can find this stuff. Also the woodruff key looks like it can be removed but unsure. Any help would be great.
    DSCN5325.jpgDSCN5326.jpgDSCN5327.jpgDSCN5329.jpgDSCN5331.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    oh man, sorry about that issue you have. I had a similar issue happen that also notch the sprocket like that, but not nearly as bad. Wow!. Mine was a crankshaft pulley bolt backing out and it must of tried to stop the motor somehow like yours looks like. I was lucky that the parts ended up in the carriage pan under motor and didn't notice the notching until later. What made me notice was the sprocket timing plate. It was notched and I had to grab a doner truck to start moving parts over from that engine. It through off my timing since that notch in the timing plate was shifted around and I couldn't get the new belts to line up correctly. Sheesh yours really took a hit by the size of that indentation it made. Mine was about a 1/3 of that and ruined the same exact parts.
    The sprockets can be found at wrecking yards if all else fails. The world has an abundant amount of vehicles that use that same sprocket and flat timing plate. I am pretty sure the g63b / 4g63 might be the same also. Bring the old parts with you if you go wrecking yard hunting. You can probably make the woodruff key if you need to. Just grab it with some vise grips or work a small flathead screwdriver under it and try to tap it out. It is bow shaped at the bottom and kind of teeter totters in that spot until it is seated. You can try rock auto for some parts, but perhaps you may get some hits in the forum as well.
    You should do a thorough inspection of your engine also. Who knows where pieces might of ended up. Sure looks pretty dirty in those sprocket holes too. When you reinstall stuff, be sure to seal that timing cover real well if you can. You survived this one I think, but it looks like it got close to snapping your crank. So much force is involved in these rotating mass of metal parts.

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah I know I got real lucky I could have been looking for a new motor. Its dirty due to a leaking front crank seal just replaced it. Im going to try going to find some wrecking yards to find these parts, I was looking everywhere for the woodruff key lastnight and no one has it. Not even the dealer lol. But I did see that orileys and harbor freight have a universal woodruff key set for like $10. As far as rock auto goes they dont have any of these sprockets only for the older model trucks with a timing chain. I'm hopping someone has these parts for sale I would love to buy them.

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I actually was very lucky, my local junk yard had one mighty max with a blown motor picked up all the parts for $5

Array
    Status
    Hagerstown, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Same Problem Need Answers Please

Quote Originally Posted by danny6787 View Post
    I actually was very lucky, my local junk yard had one mighty max with a blown motor picked up all the parts for $5

So I just took my gears out and found the exact same problem. I saw that you asked if the key is replaceable but didn't get an answer that I saw. So my question is, can you replace that key? Thanks for any help in advance.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Um.... I have a brand new key and pulley with the center balance ring for the pulley if you need one .just Pm me .Also I would look into possibly getting a new sprocket for the crank.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Parts......g63b
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Detroit, Michigan
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    do you happen to know the part number for the timing gear?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A thought - the crank belt sprocket should be the same as a 1G 4G63 sprocket? (DSM or Mitsubishi Galant VR4, Hyundai etc)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I don't see the roll pin or the alignment hole for the belt sprocket and the shim disc thingy - what aligns the crankshaft pulley for the TDC indicator marks?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function