Thread: 84 Ram 50 2.0 wont start when its VERY cold out.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52

Unhappy 84 Ram 50 2.0 wont start when its VERY cold out.

1984 Dodge Ram 50 with a 5 speed and the 4G52 2.0 engine
    So in Portland, OR the last few days it has been unusually cold. Previously the truck has started and ran with no problems at all but this morning i went to start it and try as it might it just wouldn't. The starter is going fine and it has a brand new battery so i dont think its any of that. Once or twice right as i would stop trying to start it it would ALMOST start up but would then die out. Any ideas from someone with more experience on these engines than me?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    verify choke is fully closed. spark plugs look good?. cap & rotor have clean contacts? no rubbing of wires to cause grounding or firing of another plug. air filter & fuel filter recent?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    So, just checked spark plugs, tested the spark plug wires, checked the cap and rotor, no rubbing of the wires, air filter is brand new and i am going to check the fuel filter and choke now. I also checked the compression and that is fine.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Oh AND it wont start with starting fluid.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I believe i figured it out! My lovely lovely wife flooded the carb quite badly and its been very cold recently. When i took the air intake assembly off and cleaned best i could and sprayed the starter fluid straight down the choke it fired up and ran pretty well. Thank you ragragtimetime for your help.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    We hope that isn't a temporary fix, also why the starting fluid? Might be a good idea to install a radiator coil anti-freeze warmer. Plug that baby in and it shouldn't have another issue with cold weather again. Or even try putting a 25 watt light bulb under hood during the night will help also keep things from cold. Don't forget to remove it before driving off, lol

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    here's a few ideas http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s i feel the block heater plug into a heavy duty wall timer is best (yes you have to remove freeze plug & drain/refill the antifreeze to install) but also have magnetic mount & oil dipstick heaters.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    here's a few ideas http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s i feel the block heater plug into a heavy duty wall timer is best (yes you have to remove freeze plug & drain/refill the antifreeze to install) but also have magnetic mount & oil dipstick heaters.
    Have you had good luck with KATS ragragtime? I just bought 2 new ones from Zerostart Amazon price was $29 for #3100024 35 mm freeze plugs. Timers are the only way to go also, unless you want to pay a little bigger heating bill. Zerostart gives the cost per kilowatt in their catalog and where they should be placed.

2014 Zerostart Application Guide and Product Catalog.pdf

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    "Have you had good luck with KATS ragragtime?" yes!...i remember the day it was -60F without the windchill factor & the d-50 started!...purchased thru NAPA in fort kent when living in northern aroostook county maine. i was always amused by seeing how far out in the air i could hold the extension cord before the covering on it would snap & fall to the ground...driving on tires with "flat spots" was also a shake test for the truck til the tires warmed enough to smooth out (just when pulling into the parking lot @ work)...& the seat was so hard the rearview mirror would have to be adjusted. you may know that around -30f fuel injected vehicles have trouble starting & can trip their computer...then its definitely not starting...constant problem with my old 1996 2500DSC00059.jpg & it had a hot plug!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    lmao, look at that log loading. Let me guess...you light the building on fire at the start of winter and it last all the way to the spring? That is some stacking skills my friend.

Thanks for the info!