Array
    Status
    seattle wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Hows it going?

Hi guys, New to the forums here. I'm an owner of a 1984 Dodge Ram 50 with a G63B 4-Speed. Bought a little over a year ago as a daily driver, not too many problems with it other than the clutch which I replaced a little over 5000 miles ago, and more recently some carburetor issues. I'm a pretty inexperienced mechanic, but I love this truck a little too much to give up on it. Hopefully I can learn a few things from your good ol' community.

image.jpg

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome airball !!!

Not to worry about experience, the Good Folks here will reply with validated info (not web hype)
    for Your issues.

Contextually,
    I have enough 'certificates' to paper an gymnasium wall, and am 36 yrs & 3'rd gen into My love of Machinery.

No coincidences Sir,
    --- As one Honored Poster succinctly Replied---
    "You have been bitten"

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    " recently some carburetor issues"....give more specifics on its behavior....but this may get you started: check for worn linkage, smooth throttle operation, worn/loose vacuum hose connections (issues change/occur @ various times as engine warms), check choke for fully open & fully closed positions (may stick causing other linkage to not operate), sub egr also will cause linkage movement issue (& is very easy to clean...just don't drop any of those tiny pieces). i use gumout spray "carb + choke cleaner" (& would not hesitate on using most of the can) as it will clean & not leave oil residue that may accumulate dirt & cause it to be cleaned again (i have a long gravel driveway). if you feel the need for lubricant i recommend a "dry graphite lube spray" instead of petroleum base. absolutely try the inexpensive fixes first then throw your wallet at it. best of luck!

Array
    Status
    seattle wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Alright thanks, but basically it doesn't want to start when its cold, but it runs great when I finally get it started and warmed up. I'll go look for any of those issues you listed above.

Array
    Status
    seattle wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I checked for any worn or loose hoses, all seem to be in decent condition and connected. Throttle operates smoothly, and the choke is currently open, I'm assuming because the engine is warm (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm not sure what a sub erg is so I was unable to check or clean that.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-for-smog-Help

& verify choke is fully closed when ice cold
    Last edited by ragragtimetime; 11-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Airball you live in Washington State as myself, that means your old girl is smog exempt. So you may do whatever you like to your trucks engine to fix or upgrade parts. Perhaps a Weber carb, a header, cold intake, there is an endless supply of fun aftermarket items to enhance your already fun truck. Sometimes the ole Mikuni carb (POS) just isn't going to give it up any longer. Investing in a new carb will bring a new life and more horsepower to that girl in a great way. Easy to install and set it and forget it also. Welcome to the zoo

As for your egr valve and sub valve. Right when you think you cleaned it, you may take another looksy. Those darn things collect carbon crap from the carb through the intake manifold, all the way to the #4 exhaust port of the head. Sometimes the only way to clean them is with a rigid coat hanger and get ready for a pile of carbon chunks to fall out. As old as your truck is, like mine..you may also look at old catalyst converter. I think your truck has 2 of them if not mistaken. It maybe time to pull the exhaust pipe out and start jamming a screw driver into cat to gut that exhaust restrictor completely. That stuff inside is a silver mine also, dispose of the stuff in a green way if you can.

Cold weather in Washington causes my truck to start a little harder also.