Array
    Status
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Carb and/or choke troubles

Hi everyone, I'm still pretty new to this website and even newer to forums. I've got an '89 Ram 50 with new developments in the idling arena. The old girl always idled pretty good for me. Every once and a while she would idle high for no reason. I would rev her pretty high to try to get her to settle down with the idle without success. I would then shut her down and restart to the same thing. Nothing but randomness seemed to change that idle issue but she would always idle fairly smooth. Now she will start OK and idle but when I rev the engine over about 1,500 she idles down, lopes real bad for about 10 seconds and dies. The timing is about 7 degres BTDC which is where my altitude dictates it should be. I'm thinking the dashpot and choke SAS screws need to be adjusted but I dont have a tachometer for the dashpot adjustment and wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue but more importantly any success in remedying the situation and some turn counts to start the choke and dashpot SAS screw setpoints from. This is the only transportation I have and the wifes car is having to drive 100 a day to take me to work and back. I dont have funds to drop a Weber in as most posts suggest to do. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. While I appreciate the responses I've gotten from another post about this, they seem to lack specifics relevant to my issue.
    Thank you for reading this!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Mark, just in case you like to look for yourself while you wait for an answer, We have downloadable service manuals you can get and view to see if they have trouble shooting to maybe help as well. Sorry to hear your trucks not running so well.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check the vacuum hoses, especially the ones going into the silver box on the drivers inner fender. There is sensors for the computer controled carb that goes nuts when the hoses split or rot off.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Smithfield,Rhode Island
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Okay so I am right back to where I started with the carb problems. It starts but I have to pump the peddle to get it going like crazy. Once started it just putters out and stalls. I thought the problem was fixed when I installed the new CAT. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or just coincidence. But I put some fuel cleaner in run it as suggested and then filled the 50 with high grade gas. Now its doing the same thing before I installed the cat. Starts like crap then stalls out. Someone also said too much fuel, that could be possible but not sure what to do. Do you think the high grade gas had something to do with it ????? Not sure what to do??? I'm going to check the hoses like pennyman said . But not sure what I'm looking for. Not a car guy just a D-50 lover and contractor. Please help !!!!