Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Lightbulb 4d55 electrical short??

Hello, I have a 1984 Dodge ram 50 sport with the 4d55 turbo. I purchased it two weeks ago. It runs great and is very good condition as it sat in a barn for 10 plus years. I drove it for about a week and a half with out any issues. Then randomly one morning the battery was completely dead so I charged it and it started fine and ran fine. The next morning same thing the battery was dead again. I did the test to see if there was a short by testing it with a 12v tester and pulling fuses one by one, nothing changed throughout the entire test. I took the battery and got it tested and the battery is good. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Either you have something sucking the power from battery while it sits or it's a bad battery. If it sat for 10 years and you didn't replace the battery, maybe try and replace it. Wish I had a battery last 10 years. Batteries have guarantees and if you don't need it, bring it back for a refund. Sounds like there is a problem intermittent with the battery. The post on batteries can disconnect inside the battery, yet sometimes show that they are connected, with the slightest movement. Is the battery bulging on the sides a little? Batteries can take a charge and loose the charge quickly if bad also. Sure sounds like the battery to me.
    Do you have a volt meter in the truck or Amp meter? Check if your recharging when truck is running correctly. For something to kill a (you say a good battery) in 24 hours, it should show up on a meter that something is grounding to the frame or turned on. Just a radio on for 5-8 hours can drain a battery.
    Are you hearing a click click click when trying to restart? any noise from engine? Makes ya wonder why they parked it in a barn so long. With all these trucks being found in barns and old garages makes me want to start doing a farm to farm search for trucks.

and.... Welcome to the MightyRam50.net forum BigRam50

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    alternator charging "intermittently" or only at highway speeds?....therefore not producing enough to run "everything" in addition to fully charging battery.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    or the alternator has a diode or regulator short to ground and drains the battery to the block
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    The battery is only three months old and it is good I had it tested and then ran It in another vehicle and it works fine. I believe it is the alternator after looking into I further. I am going to replace it soon

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Doh! didn't know battery was new. Sorry. Could go with a stronger alternator if you decide to when your ready to buy. There are 100amp available, but sort of expensive. Keep us posted!

Array
    Status
    Oregon
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    No biggy i appreciate the input. I will look into the bigger alternator. I will keep you guys posted