Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

mazda miata short throw shifter

Has anyone looked at the miata short throw shifter for a swap to our trannies? The 90-97 or 86 - 91 has a 3 bolt pattern - does anyone have access to a shifter to see if it matches? If it does, then we can all have short shifters on our 5 spds. Keep in mind that a popular swap for the km132 in a starquest is a 5spd from an RX-7 with the bell housing from a 87-88 mazda B2600 truck (the bell housing is separate and it is a match to the 13.25 spacing on the 2.6). If the shifter would work but the spacing on the adaptor is wrong, a new adaptor could be made to work with the stick. These shifters are $40 -55 vs the stedebani ones that are 150+ if you can find them. Wadda you think?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You know who owns a Miata? Hive does I am pretty sure..

One other question about shifters.
    There are terms to think on when mentioning a short shifter.
    The first is a short shifter that shortens the length of the shift lever itself. Sort of like if you cut your shift lever to a shorter length.
    The second is a short shifter throw which shortens the distance you have to move the shifter lever to change gears. Also called a quick shifter.

Folks without a center arm rest console and can go the first route would be fine. The people that have a taller arm resting console (as myself has) can't go with a shorter shift handle. I would like to locate a short throw shifter if this is available, also if anyone knows it's avaialble.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The Mookeh ones don't fit?

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    HAHAHAHA man i though the same exact thing and took a look at the shifter in my miata and sadly no, it won't work. the miata like everything about it, is much much smaller

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Starquest club folks are posting request for a bushing to be made for the Mookeh. Haven't searched why though. Think I will look for one of those Thanks Noah

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Mookeh stuff is on eBay. 150 bones.

A Miata short shifter would be crazy low in a truck. You'd be reaching down to the floor and scraping your knuckles on rhe tranny tunnel every time you grabbed a gear. In a Miata, the shifter's at about lap height.

Someone on here used a shift lever only from a 1st Gen RX-7 and it was a perfect fit. So maybe the whole assembly might fit?

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah, that again was me, on the quest to make a shorter shifter. and no the bases are totally different. but the levers do separate the same, remove the snap ring and apply heat until the rubber lets go.

i too have looked at the mookeh shifter and wondered if maybe something could be Frankensteined together but the RX7 Shifter was only $15 at the yard lol

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the mookeeh shifter is made to replace the mount on the top of the tail housing on a starquest tranny - it mounts in place of the plate the stock shifter mounts to on the tailshaft housing. To make that shifter work, you would have to make a new top plate for the 6 bolt plate on the tailshaft of the truck tranny machined and drilled to mount the shifter in place. I am going to be pulling Geronimo's engine and tranny soon for block repaint and head swap - I will have my stedebani shifter out and will make a template of the adaptor plate I cut down to fit it on the tranny. If the RX-7 shifter shaft can be used with the d-50 mount pieces, then the short throw shifter could be used with the adaptor plate for the spacer. A longer shifter handle can be used if the shaft is too short for your taste, but most of these shifters shorten the throw, not the shaft above the shifter pivot.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Exactly, despite all my efforts I was only able to shorten my throw by a small amount. And I think that is mostly due to the bend in the shifter. With out changing the pivot point of the shifter you can't fully shorten its shift throws. I still love mine thou!!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the stedebani shifter was made by a starquest guy that worked out the ratio of the pivot point to shorten the throw of the shifter without shortening the shaft of the shifter. He made 2 types - a straight one, which I have, and one with a 15 degree bend like the original. That may not seem important, until you add a handle like I have on Geronimo - then you see why the 15 degree bend means alot - I had to turn the handle 180 from the way I want it because I would punch the dash in 1,3 and 5th gear. I plan on bending mine while it is out.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    see that's just awesome!! a custom shifter hand made by a strarion/conquest forum member adapter to work on a MM, i like the way you think!

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    This is how I made my short throw:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post26712
    It's toward the bottom of the post.

If you have the means, it's very easy to do. Once the new CNC is hooked up and ready, I could do a group buy for any who are interested. If you need assistance welding in a shaft spacer for it, I could help there too. Just another option if anyone needed. DIY is way cheaper than buying one either way

Finding a bolt-on solution would be cool. If anyone needs, I can assist in machining adapters and such for other shifters. Just let me know.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I was hoping you would join it on this - I can see a couple of different shifters coming out of this. I can send you the dimensions from the spacer from the stedebani shifter and the particulars of how it was made to see if it can be reproduced, or improved upon. There is even the starquest crossover market for this one.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You could have just asked lol. Sure beats hoping

I would need the actual part to base dimensions on. There are a lot of specific measurements I need, and they need to be dead on.

Pics would be cool too.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    http://nbingaman.wix.com/gntperforma...w-shifter/cvcx what do you think pennyman1? looks like the parts can be made to work

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    It would be nice if the forum could invest into this possibly. Maybe if Camoit can take a look and see what he might think. Should be quite a few here and even non-members that would like something like this in their truck, I know I would jump into the collection as long as it didn't climb over $200 or so.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i agree, we need someone to spearhead a group build/buy

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    At Merrill.
    You have a CNC? What is it. I have a 4060 Router heading this now. But it will be some time tell I get things ready to run on it. That and learning all the software like Solidworks, solidcam and Mach3.
    I'm going into drone production.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The issue I have with the shifter kit he is offering is that the pivot ball for the shifter is not part of the kit. With the number of these shifters on our trucks, the ball is what broke - that is why the shifter is bad. The basic design of his base plate is like my stedebani - I cut the plate down to about 1/4 inch larger than the shifter gasket. It will work, just need all the rest of the parts to make it whole. Price is also high for an incomplete shifter, but if you are the only game in town, then it is what ever someone is willing to pay. On our trucks, the nylocs would not be needed -the bolts through the plate would go right into the holes on the trucks tailshaft. The bushing for the end of the shifter is also hokey - could see that split and slide up the shifter shaft and fall into the tailshaft and do some real damage. If someone could make the shafts (Merrill?) putting the bend in them would be the easy part. The plate is simple to machine on a cnc mill. Makes me want to put Geronimo's shifter out to see if I can find someone to make the shaft...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Camiot, I have a 1200x1200 CNC router. Still waiting to get it all hooked up, but it's on Mach3 and I use Mastercam for my design and code. I also have access to a few other machines that can do just about anything.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    So you can build the part in mastercam and does it make the gcode for mach3? I'm just setting the hole thing up now. I have herd so many diferent things I don't know who to beleve any more. I know Solidworks will not make gcode with out a plug in like solid cam.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah I can post the G-code to Mach3 straight off of Matercam. Solidworks is a CAD program, not CAM... huge difference. Mastercam is a no BS program that allows you to design virtually anything in any style (wire frame or solid), tool path it almost any way you can think of, and write/post the G-code. There is nothing else needed.

A lot of people hate using Mastercam. It does take a lot of time to learn and use, but it is nearly endless capability regarding CAM. I won't use anything else.