Array
    Status
    Driggs Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52

A little help needed

My 1980 D-50 up & quit a while ago , let it sit a few days & started right up & ran for 2 more days then quit figured it was the fuel pump as everything is original . Replaced fuel pump . Not the problem , no spark . Replaced coil, distributor& wires still not the problem figured it was the ESS relay swapped out with 2 different ones off of my brothers running D-50's still no spark! Undid the whole wiring harness looking for bad connections all good.
    Have12 volts to coil& 12 volts out of coil but it won't light up my test light coming out of coil????? Any ideas??

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    how are the connections at the ignition control module (found inside the distributor), also if the key is left "on" (not accessory) when vehicle is not running the icm will be destroyed causing symptoms you describe (voltage everywhere except @ the plugs)...i keep a spare in my ash-tray.

Array
    Status
    Driggs Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    how are the connections at the ignition control module (found inside the distributor), also if the key is left "on" (not accessory) when vehicle is not running the icm will be destroyed causing symptoms you describe (voltage everywhere except @ the plugs)...i keep a spare in my ash-tray.
    brand new distributor . Shouldn't my test light light up if my voltage meter says I have 12 volts on distributor side of coil? It lights up on power coming into the coil

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    "brand new distributor"....dang frustrating...yes voltmeter should detect.....must be grounding somewhere...what about the plugs themselves?...had a defective one in a dirtbike (1979 rm80) & had similar symptoms...i'll sleep on it.

Array
    Status
    Driggs Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Plugs all good . Like I said voltage to the coil voltage on distributor side of coil but no spark on the coil wire to distributor coil wire reads 12 volts but won't light up my test light and no spark visible

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    per wiring diagram schematic there is a black/white wire on the positive side of coil coming from fuse block (possible fuse issue?)...& fuse is "fed" by blue wire from alternator. in other words check fuses & try swopping alternators (i have 2 younger brothers...that's what brother's are for)