Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rat B@stard Max: A Tale of swapping, modding, building, and adapting....

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

The Rat B@stard Max: A Tale of swapping, modding, building, and adapting....

Hey all, Decided to finally start a build thread after lurking around a posting bits here and there. sorry if the title offends anyone but it seems very appropriate for the build because when i'm done it's literally going to have parts from many many different cars on it lol!

ahhhh the beginning, how i found it. the plan was very simple at first, just to get it up and running reliably so that i could put my Miata down for repairs and a possible LS1 swap, but that's a different story. i ended up buying if for $250 off a guy that worked for me out of his yard. he told he he had a import truck and that it was a mitsubishi and me being a import man myself had never seen one around here ever!

the fun and occasional bullet hole....only about 10 inches above the gas tank is all LOL

The Hood Scoop, had some parts left over from my old WRX and though how much carbs love air i might as well force feed it to them

After some Loooonnnngggg searching and waiting i came across a nice non-MCA Roller Rocker head from a 2.0 galant and just had to snatch it up

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    worked on the interior here and there too, found some seats out of a 2001 Galant and bought some door panels that needed resprayed and redone

don't know if you noticed the GIANT HOLE in the dash from the last owner who tried to put a TV in it....idiots....so i had to get one of these

and install it along with a new clock

and the cluster waiting to go it

Found this nifty center console at walmart for $35 and it turned out to fit really well!

also upgraded to a dimmer review mirror and a new steering wheel and hub and horn button

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Decided the search for a stock LSD was going no where fast and broke down and bought a brand new old stock Power Brute LSD to make both the tires nice a smokey!

re-installed it along with new energy suspension bushing everywhere and some 3 inch drop blocks and a custom fabbed rear swap bar set-up

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Very excellent, thehive! Nice caring work. I think I'm most impressed with taking on that dashboard fiasco. I really like the color scemes you chose for the door panels.

It's clear you're doing really awesome work, and thanks so much for taking the time to post photos...great photos.

Is "Rat Bastard" a referrence to Austin Powers?
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    made a custom shifter from some factory parts and a lever out of a 1979 Mazda RX7 at the junk yard. turned out well and has a unique look and feel!

adapted a boot, knob and beauty ring to finish it off

found these online from a closed out dealer, uncut and brand new!!! had them cut off the only spare i had and they work better than the spare now!!

just a motor mock up picture for fun to see what things might look like

my head set up that i WILL be using once i start building the motor

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    LOL nooo, just that my truck is being built from lots of parts from lots of different cars and trucks, kinda pieced together but mostly mitsubishi parts

found these wheels at a local junk yard for $80 a decided to try and clean them up. they turned out quite nice i must say!

the dual carb fiasco: so this alll started with two photos and a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG search.

so after coming across this first picture on the web it became clear that somewhere out there these motors came with dual carbs at one time, turns out that mitsubishi had made a sedan in the 80's called the "Sapporo" and they had a sport model called the "Sapporo GSR" that came with the dual carbs...ugly car though...

this set me on the path of wondering if anyone had ever tried putting dual webers on one, and they had!!......in Russia LOL

soooo after much searching and waiting and waiting i was very happy to get this on my door step!

also got a header from the land down under and coated it and wrapped it, i cut mine up a little but only because i plan to run true "twice pipes" with a x-pipe and a dual in-out muffler

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Dude This is awesome work bro! Methodical and to the point! I likey!

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Hey, The Sapporo isn't THAT ugly.... especially when it has a DOHC Turbo 4G63.....
    ChallengerBurn.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    No not that ugly of a car. I'm pretty sure they are the same frame a drivetrain of the mighty max too. Is that yours? Or someone you know? I was 99% sure they never came to the U.S.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well damn! you do learn something everyday! i highly doubt i'll ever see a Sapporo out here in Tenn, i've never even seen another running mighty max lol yes they are that rare out here! but i am glad people are getting some enjoyment out of my progress, i have plenty of pics!

Making the dual carb manifold ready for webers:

started by getting these two little nifty carb adabters/spacers made by transdapt for the manifold that are suppose to be for a nissan i think?

then i marked out the material to remove and went to work with the cut off wheels and drum sanding bit on the dremel

still not quite there yet but very close, this take alot of time to do both sides but i will post fully finished pics when i'm finished

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Parts Trucks Time!!!

i needed a good 2.4L for by build and was lucky enough to score a whole 1994 Mighty Max Sport less some parts from a fellow forum member by the name of MIHFISI and i thank him for the hook up! Anyone interested in a whole set of factory chrome sport rims with the centers caps?

I did find this out the other day after some searching that being that this is a 94 model the 4G64 in it is infact a 1G 7 bolt motor and not a 6 bolt like the motors of the past. and while some may consider this a kiss of death with the whole "crankwalk" issue, that was only the 2G 7 bolt motors and was due to a bead back of cranks from the factory that were cut to much on the thrust bearing and thus wore out to fast.

But being that i'm building a N/A set-up this deff has it's advantages for me. one being that the fact the 7 bolt crank, pistons, and rods are all wayyy lighter than the older 6 bolt counter parts. meaning that the motor should rev alot easier after some little tweaking on the inside. here's some pictures of a 6 bolt piston/rod next to a 7 bolt piston/rod, see for yourself.

also as it turns out the sport model has factory tinted door glass that has a bit of a green hue to it, and since the doors are already black the plan is to swap both the doors then have the windows tinted and re-install my new door panels on them. and while i'm at it i think i'm going to go ahead and swap over the black fenders with the cool chrome "Mitsubishi" emblems on the sides of them. so here they sit as of know ready to swap the doors whenever my father can get the time to give me a hand

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by thehive View Post
    Parts Trucks Time!!!

i needed a good 2.4L for by build and was lucky enough to score a whole 1994 Mighty Max Sport less some parts from a fellow forum member by the name of MIHFISI and i thank him for the hook up! Anyone interested in a whole set of factory chrome sport rims with the centers caps?
    Hey hey! I'll gladdly take those Center Caps off your hands. I need a new set badly! How much you want for em?!

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Man....I like this build..........

Dude, where are you getting all those parts from........especially that valve cover, and header?

Can't wait to see/hear that thing running.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Oh and another quick question Hive. On that nifty new parts truck there, You wouldn't happen to have the AT kickdown cable assembly would you? Is that parts truck and automatic? Please tell me you do.

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yes, that is my 1981 Dodge Challenger. They are definitely rare in the US. To my knowledge it is the only turbo 4G swapped Challenger/Sapporo in the country.
    Nice build, I need as many ideas as i can get, planning on building my 89 Max over the winter.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yes it's a auto, i'm sure it does have the kickdown linkage still on it, but i'll have to check you can have first dibs on it if you want it. as for the center caps, i would really like to see them go with the wheels as a set. i think i might be harder to sell the rims without the center caps

thanks for the compliment on the parts!! that's why i call it the Rat Bastard max, so many parts from so many vehicles lol. the valve cover is off a early to mid 90's galant 2.0 they also came on some Colt wagons too. and the Header is from Australia

that a Awesome Sapporo you have there!! is it a unibody? or body on frame like the mighty max?

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by thehive View Post
    yes it's a auto, i'm sure it does have the kickdown linkage still on it, but i'll have to check you can have first dibs on it if you want it. as for the center caps, i would really like to see them go with the wheels as a set. i think i might be harder to sell the rims without the center caps

thanks for the compliment on the parts!! that's why i call it the Rat Bastard max, so many parts from so many vehicles lol. the valve cover is off a early to mid 90's galant 2.0 they also came on some Colt wagons too. and the Header is from Australia

that a Awesome Sapporo you have there!! is it a unibody? or body on frame like the mighty max?
    Ok well if you don't want to break up the rim/cap set its cool. I'll live with out for a little while. LOL

However the Linkage is definately of interest to me. If I'm not mistaken the linkage is the same for the 2.0 and the 2.4.

If it is there and is in tact, please shoot me a PM with what you want for the part and the shipping. That I actually really need. as mine is non existent because it broke...

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    New Stillen front lip for the Mighty Max came today in the mail!! needs some trim work done to it but it a very very well built THICK ABS unit. thanks to Pennyman1 for the heads up on the good deal on them!!

the two bottom holes are "suppose" to be for fog lights, but i think i'm going to adapt some tubing and make them into brake duct coolers for the front rotors

more to come!

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the picture info, I look into that.

but for one, the lip is made from very very thick ABS like stated earlier, not fiberglass. And For two, ABS flexes and tears, not crack and break. And for three, the transdapt 2107 adapter is for a Datsun, not a Toyota. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The challenger is uni-body, it shares the same chassis as the station/conquest. It was only available in the US with the G54B 2.6 liter.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD4G63 View Post
    The challenger is uni-body, it shares the same chassis as the station/conquest. It was only available in the US with the G54B 2.6 liter.
    Oh boy I hate when imports take the name of Iconic American Muscle cars... No mistaking a Jap Challenger with this Beauty.

1969 Challenger.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos731 View Post
    Oh boy I hate when imports take the name of Iconic American Muscle cars... No mistaking a Jap Challenger with this Beauty.

1969 Challenger.jpg
    The Mitsubishi built Dodge Challenger was also marketted as the Mitsubishi Scorpion, the Sapporo and Sigma Galant GS/R (not 100% sure on the last one) They are a weird car. It's in no way a sports sedan - it has mediocre handling at best and is generally a bit of a slug performance wise. We got them here in Australia in both 2 litre and 2.6 litre naturally aspirated Astron engines (single carb only) but there were better optioned versions in production.

Array
    Status
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos731 View Post
    That's why when people as me what kind of car it is I always say it's a Sapporo, calling it a Challenger feels wrong... Even tho I have yet to come across a 70's Challenger street car that's faster than mine.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sure thing man, I'll take a look at it tomm when it's warmer outside. The high for today was only 45 degrees or so

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thinking of turning this factory power steering cooler into a oil cooler with a sandwich adapter on the oil filer housing and running some AN- fittings and lines. any thoughts?

all the bolt holes line up for the brackets and it plums the lines right into the engine bay on the oil filter side

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast