Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Block coolant drain plug G63b?

HI
    I got one of these Ram50's about 10 years ago and except for a clutch did nothing but change oil. I did the timing belt and balancer belt several months ago and then I blew the head last month. Turns out I had a bad water valve in the heater and I probably had air in the system. Changed out the heater and new radiator. Its finally running and I want to fully drain the coolant before running it for much longer with the dregs of the old dirty oily coolant in it.
    In the Chilton's it says to do so out of the block drain plug but as usual fails to supply a picture or diagram.
    Anyone know where this plug is?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The coolant drain 'tap' is located in the bottom tank of the radiator (normally). Other option is to just remove the bottom hose clamp and slip the radiator hose off and dump the coolant that way. To scour the oil from the cooling system you can try filling it with demineralised water (or rain water depending on how clean it is) and adding a cup of kerosene into the radiator and running it for a while.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks geezer101 The Chilton's is pretty explicit that there is a drain plug in the block and to properly flush the whole system you have to remove it. I suppose I could jack it up and crawl under but that's a lot of work for me which I would rather avoid.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    For the life of me I can't think of a location on the block that has a removable coolant drain plug other than the freeze/welch plugs in the block itself. Getting to the drain tap on the bottom of the radiator is relatively easy and will only take a minute or 2 to find and open up.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    none of these motors has a block drain plug - as usual, its a reference from some text from another manual. Thats why I don't use chiltons manuals for any repairs on vehicles
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Well, wait a minute. There is a drain plug.

After removing the upper radiator hose, tip motor upside down and shake wildly until empty. 8oÞ

Pennyman likes the neked girly pictures in Clymers and Haynes I bet.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You really need a hobby BradMPH, or quit sniffing the starting fluid...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I drove it up on some ramps and I soiched and I soiched but no plug. I warmed it up then popped the cap and ran it until the thermostat opened then while it was running I opened the rad drain and let it drain adding fresh water as it got to the bottom. It got clearer but not clear. I let it run dry at the rad drain plug a couple of times then filled it up ending with adding the coolant. It actually stays too cool now even after an hours driving the heater was only just better than warm. I had to put cardboard in front of the rad it so the heater will get hotter. Its got a new problem starting today that was an old problem with the old head with the old head but I'll post that in a new thread.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Definitely need an edit function I pulled it back off the ramps before doing the rad flush.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Well, wait a minute. There is a drain plug. After removing the upper radiator hose, tip motor upside down and shake wildly until empty. 8oÞ Pennyman likes the neked girly pictures in Clymers and Haynes I bet.
    Yea that's why I mounted my engine jack to the firewall.