Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G15

1986 Ram 50 2.0

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1986 Ram 50. This forum has been a life saver as I have worked to get it repaired and smogged. I have a friend who is a mechanic who is doing the work. I am hoping you all may have a few ideas on where we go from here. I am in CA.

Background:

The truck has 55k miles. It was last smogged in 08 and passed. It sat for 4 years after that. When I picked it up it had a noticiable miss. You had to floor it to go anywhere. No power at all. My friend gave it a tune up (oil, transmission fluid, plugs, wires, cap) as well as replaced the timing belt. At that point it ran better didn't idle as rough but the miss was still there just not as bad. We took it for the smog and the tech could not test it. He said it just didn't have any power to it. My friend thought through it and decided it was the Carb. So I bought a rebuilt one from O'Reilly. He installed the carb but at this point the RPM miss is still there and it runs really really rich. It doesn't seem to change much at all if he has the carb on it or not. The EGR has been checked as well and is clean.

Where would you go from here? We've been going at this for a month now, I am $1.5k into a truck I paid $300 for and I am not sure if I am ever going to see the light at the end of the tunnel. He is stumped at this point as well. Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    With respects,
    Am I missing the 'chronology' ?

"It was last smoged in '08 and passed. It sat for 4 years after that."

--- 2014 ---

I am not the time police, LOL, just wondering if the poor beastie is trying to run on 6 year old fuel , with an original filter???

More Info needed!!!!

THX!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Well that might be it, but if I am not mistaken they might of made a change in the regulations for your vehicle. Depending on your fail score and the section it failed on can tell you what the reason is. It could be timing, weather, could be that it was not warmed up properly, could be the guy at the smog check station was a retard and had a bad day. Anyway, your not the lone ranger with a pass and a fail test. I failed a test here in Washington State, which I passed with flying colors just prior to this. Took my Toyota MR2 vehicle to a smog regulated garage for a fix to pass and he just adjusted my timing and charged me $100 bucks. So, your doing better then me so far. lol

By the way, leaving fuel with ethanol in your tank for over 30 days is not a good thing to do. Moisture from atmosphere will collect in he tank and really screw things up. Might be good to use a fuel line cleaner and for god's sake change the fuel filter. Respect your baby...6 years, sheesh poor thing. lol

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G15
    Haha. Sorry on the time. Basically when it came time to smog it in 2010 it just sat after that till I bought it. Also I left out by mistake that the filters have been changed (air, oil, and transmission). The old gas was pumped out (had about 1/4 of a tank). New gas was added. Its been run down to about a half a tank since.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Probably a timing issue Maltisv, but not sure without the failing specs in compare to the regulations requirements. Paste them up and we can help I'm sure.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by maltisv View Post
    Haha. Sorry on the time. Basically when it came time to smog it in 2010 it just sat after that till I bought it. Also I left out by mistake that the filters have been changed (air, oil, and transmission). The old gas was pumped out (had about 1/4 of a tank). New gas was added. Its been run down to about a half a tank since.

THX for the update Sir.
    Has the fuel filter been changed?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i am under the impression the air filter is new, plugs are correct heat range, thermostat is bringing guage to midway mark, choke is fully open, vacuum advance hose is not cracked,...does the catalytic appear to be clogged?

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G15
    Hey everyone,

So he did a bit more work on it and then tried to have it smogged. It failed this time ( at least they could actually test it this time) and here are the numbers. Where should we go from here? Seems the CO and HC are the problem.

Failed Ignition Timing (This vehicle has failed timing check do to engine rpm being out of tolerance).

Test:

15 MPH

%CO2. %O2 HC (PPM). CO (%). NO (PPM).
    MEAS 12.9. 0.0. 162. Failed 3.52. Failed 63. Pass
    MAX. 143. 1.01. 1128.
    GP. 332. 2.31. 2111

25 MPH

%CO2. %O2 HC (PPM). CO (%). NO (PPM)
    MEAS. 11.3. 0.0. 299. Failed. 6.11 Failed. 46 Pass
    MAX. 115. 1.28. 1205
    GP. 282. 2.58. 2222

MEAS = Measured
    MAX = Max allowed
    GP = Gross Polluter

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    oh boy! lol. Now that your living in California I think the law states that a garage can only charge up to $200 to make it pass (if I remember correctly as long as all the original parts are there). At that point you need to think how you want to fix it. Pay over $200 and get all the parts and crap and then have a garage inspect it that is a legal state approved garage or go to a garage and get porked for $200 and have the slip of paper to pass it. It's up to you. Most the time a new catalyst fixes it all, but that IMO only. You sort of want to know for sure it will pass next time. Some garages will tweak it so much it runs crappy, so be sure to ask what they did exactly so your able to turn it back if you like.
    Do the timing yourself if you have a light handy. Good tool to have.
    Also, look online for smog recheck coupons available, you may find one at a local smog repair garage that is close by.
    http://www.smogtips.com/six_things.cfm

Gross Polluter, that's funny!

About emissions and the causes.
    emissions.pdf

The 6 Smog Check Passing Tips - before you visit the smog test center!

1. Running Right - Do not subject your vehicle to a Smog Inspection if it does not run right. Chances are that it will fail the smog check and you will lose your inspection fee. Seek repair assistance first. This will save you time and money, and insure your vehicle will pass the smog test.

2. Take a Drive - Drive your vehicle for at least 20 minutes prior to arriving at the smog station. This will ensure your vehicle is properly warmed up and is running at it's optimum level. Remember your engine is a fuel burning machine. To ensure proper combustion it needs to have sufficient time to warm-up and this can be accomplished through driving for at least 10 to 15 miles.

3. Use Additives - The use of fuel additives such as Blue Sky Clean Air, can be very helpful in lowering emission levels and helping your car, truck, van or SUV pass the emissions inspection. Fuel additives are generally poured into a vehicle's gas tank during fuel refueling. The additive is mixed withyour vehicle's fuel. The purpose is to clean carbon deposits within your engine's intake and exhaust paths, allowing for both fuel and air to flow freely within its passages, thus lowering emission levels, improving combustion, increasing overall engine performance, and helping you pass the emission test. These types of products offer helpful solutions to various vehicle emission and smog test problems.

Note: Read your fuel additive's instructions regarding having your vehicle smog tested while using the additive. Fuel system additives and fuel system treatments, such as Blue Sky Clean Air, require using the complete application and refueling with fresh fuel prior to the smog check.

4. Inflate Tires - During the smog inspection, the smog technician may need to drive your vehicle on a dynamometer as a part of the smog test process. Making sure your vehicle's tire pressures are even and correct will allow the vehicle to be driven with greater stability and accuracy during the smog exam. This will improve the overall emissions output of your vehicle by allowing the engine to maintain a constant and steady load. Correct and even tire pressure may be the deciding factor between a borderline vehicle failing or passing the smog test.

5. Change Oil - If it's close to your next oil change interval, go ahead and do it before the smog check. The PCV (positive crank ventilation) system of your vehicle is designed to allow your engine to breath fumes located in oil compartments (oil pan, ect.). The fumes are then burned through the combustion process. If the oil in your engine is contaminated due to inadequate oil changes it may very well cause your vehicle to fail the inspection.

Contaminated oils are high in Hydrocarbons (HC) and will present a rich mixture to the engine chambers. Avoiding oil changes not only causes pre-mature engine wear but can also cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. Change the engine oil.

6. Check Engine Light Off - Make sure your vehicle's Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp is not illuminated. A constantly illuminated Check Engine or MIL light is an automatic smog failure. A certified repair shop can diagnose the check engine light condition and offer you an evaluation and estimate. The home mechanic may also diagnose a Check Engine light malfunction via special Check Engine codes retrieval tools, available at most auto parts stores. Note: A smog technician can not refuse to test your vehicle based on the fact that he or she notices an illuminated light. The smog technician must perform the smog check and fail your vehicle. This is California State law. Be aware. Get a pre-test.
    Last edited by BradMph; 10-28-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    oh boy! lol. Now that your living in California I think the law states that a garage can only charge up to $200 to make it pass (if I remember correctly as long as all the original parts are there). At that point you need to think how you want to fix it. Pay over $200 and get all the parts and crap and then have a garage inspect it that is a legal state approved garage or go to a garage and get porked for $200 and have the slip of paper to pass it. It's up to you.emissions.pdf
    This is misinformation.

The truck is running pig rich, obviously. First off is it a 2.0 or a 2.6? And where are you located in the state? I'm a smog tech in Oakland.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G15
    San Leandro and its the 2.0

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Lucky you! Bring it by the shop sometime and let's see if we can figure out what the problem is.

San Pablo Smog
    6305 San Pablo Ave.
    8:30-5:30 M-F, 8:30-4:30 Sat.
    Last edited by noahwins; 10-30-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^
    This...
    Licensed Tech, Knows Your vehicle, Gracious offer,
    Win,Win,Win !!!
    noahwins, Sir, please do post up the correction for the obvious (pig rich) condition.
    Thanks in advance !!!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Sure. Any board member is welcome to come by the shop and run it on the dyno if you want to see if it will pass smog or if you're tuning a carb. At least if it's not bumping paying customers. I'm not a mechanic and by law can't make any adjustments as a Test Only but a 5 gas analyzer is a pretty useful tool to have.