Array
    Status
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Idle issues

Hi, got any 89 Ram 50 with the 2.0 2bbl. I've had issues with power but the idle has been pretty good. Without messing with the dash pot or choke SAS screws she dies when she idles down. Timing was about 7 BTDC. I'm hoping someone has some starting points for how many turns to set the SAS screws at so I can eliminate those as issues. I'm also thinking the dash pot might be main problem. The kicker is she'll idle great but when I rev her up over about 1,300, she dies when she gets to normal idle. I don't have a tach of any kind that works and the Haynes dash pot set procedure calls to monitor revs and make SAS adjustments at specific RPM's.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's running lean. If you don't need to SMOG it swap out the carb to a Webber. SO much better. There is no real way of adjusting the idle mix on that carb. But it might just have vacuum leeks. The hoses are 30 years old.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Delay in replying

Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    It's running lean. If you don't need to SMOG it swap out the carb to a Webber. SO much better. There is no real way of adjusting the idle mix on that carb. But it might just have vacuum leeks. The hoses are 30 years old.
    Hi Camoit,
    I thought I posted this in the smog and tuning forum. I guess the fact that I posted it HERE is why I couldn't find it THERE! The post revving dying is an issue that developed overnight pretty much. I've had her for about 9 years and taken fairly common care of her. Change the oil about every 5K etc etc. She's always lacked power and seemed to have deadband in third gear on up. I recently adjusted the timing and sprayed some carb cleaner to "sniff" for vacuum leaks with no real change in idle. I'm really thinking the dashpot SAS screw is my problem but have no starting points. I read a thread about a month ago about a member who had carb issues and mentioned some starting points in regards to turns of the SAS screws but can't seem to find the thread. A new carb isn't in the cards for me at present so I have to work with what I have but maybe the lack of having to comply with SMOG restrictions will help.
    Thanks,
    Mark