Array
    Status
    Winter Park, Florida
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Engine Swap Options?

After years of owning my 92 Mighty Max, I am beginning to grow really tired of it nickle-diming me to death. I know where I want my truck to end up, and thats being an 11 second car, but still drivable as a day car. I know its doable, I am just overwhelmed and not sure where I should start. After much deliberation and a good bit of poking around online, I have decided the best route to take is to swap my 2.4 4G64 with a 6 cylinder of some kind. I know that mitsubishi makes a 6 with a plethora of available performance parts/mods that just bolts right in to the existing mounts, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out.

My goal is to figure out what engine I want to put in it, and then make a list of all the parts I want to get. Once I have a finished list ill start getting the parts and putting everything together, but with the truck being my current daily driver I need to have a set in stone plan with most of the parts purchased before I start swapping. So if I could get some suggestions as to which engines yall think would work best with my end goal in mind, it would give me an amazing starting place to go from.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    TL;DR: I want to put a 6 cylinder in my 92 mighty max because performance parts for my 4G64 are way too hard to find. What do you recommend?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    11 seconds and drivable with good parts availability? It's not a 6 but 4G63T. All the way.

I think Jeremy Nutt is selling his.

If you have your heart set on a 6, GM 4.3? The McDonalds of truck engines.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Its cool that you bring up the 4G63T, because I have been looking at that one for quite some time. I love my 4G64 like a son and I know that it is an absolutely fantastic engine, but finding OEM parts is a nightmare, let alone finding performance parts. Plus, the owner before me didnt take care of it at all, so the poor thing is on its last leg. I figure the easiest, and probably much cheaper route would be to completely replace the engine and start from scratch.

With the 4G63T, what kind of good parts can I expect to find? Also, when searching for parts, what reference vehicle should I use in searches and when talking to people?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Entire books have been written about it so it's really too broad of a question. But check out Project Zero G and Hot Rod Coffee Shop for basic swap information.

Alternately, you could rebuild the bottom end, bolt a new head on and install the 2.4 turbo kit Merrill is currently gauging interest in. In the Performance Mods forum.

It's not fair to write off the engine as too hard to maintain if you inherited it neglected. Rebuild it the correct way so you start with a clean slate. Almost every maintenance item is readily available on Rock Auto. It's not a 1976 Jensen.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You have a point. I'm still new to working on cars and I am pretty much learning as I go. I had no idea any of these sites existed. I'll be spending my weekend pouring through all of them and just reading as much as I can.

I would still like to talk to Jeremy about his 4G64T. Do you know his username?

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    **4G63T** is what I meant

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    He's on Hot Rod Coffee Shop last I checked. You'll find him. Read up on the basics first.

An 11 second vehicle is ambitious first project. I'd start with getting the truck dialed in and purring first if this is your first crack at it. This site is great resource for that.