Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    20141103_155024.jpg
    Pulled the timing cover today. Was very surprised to see multiple timing chains on a 4 cyl motor. What is this thing! ?!

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    @Brad. I'm a decent mechanic. Just new to these trucks and motors. Mechanically inclined but not knowledgable I guess is the best way to describe it.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Shortly after posting those pictures I began disassembling the timing chain and realized that front chain is wrapped around the balance shafts. I remember reading about them, I guess it makes sense that they'd be timed with the motor.
    What I'm wondering is how to re-time them during reassembly. I don't see any tdc marks or anything like I normally do on a crank pulley or cam sprocket.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm fairly sure based on those pictures posted on the front page of this thread by Brad (thank you by the way) that this is definitely the g54b motor, the 2.6. Sucks and means I've gotta return some parts I bought. I'm wondering if these trucks were built any differently to accommodate either the 2.0 or the 2.6? Am I going to have any problems with parts or performance having a motor that wasn't stock?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There are videos online in Youtube to help also. Just make a search in spare time. I hate to just call you Shit for a short name, seems awfully wrong. Anyway, if your taking apart, Put everything separate and numbered to it's proper home. Keep the place clean you know the routine. These are basic motors and youll do fine. 2.6 is ok, at one time it was the biggest 4 cylinder in production. You'll see identification on the block, like G54B, on the passenger side. 2.6 motors just don't like overheating is all. Hope you have a manual also. Follow it. Document and just relax, if it don't go back together, just think of the money in parts you'll have when you sell them. Probably put a new clutch in also huh? Wonder what else you will find that you didn't think you'd need...it will come.

Pull the motor out also. Stop bending over and make it easy on yourself. Get an engine stand

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ouch... The engine codes can be confusing for noobs who do not speak mitsugibberish. SFB will get the hang of the lingo eventually

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    mitsugibberish: lol I like that

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    be glad you have the 2.6 - it has a lot more support for upgrades than the g63b 2.0. In the manual section there is books on how to time the silent shafts with the rest of the motor - its not that tough with the motor out of the truck, but it can be done it the truck with the timing cover off.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123