Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52

new from the kansas, 1982 d50

hello all, I just got my d50, 1982 d50, not to bad a shape, a few dents and dings but that was expected, its got the 4g52 engine, manual transmission, belived to have 47k original miles, was told the carb needs rebuilt and clutch replaced, was in the wifes family since new, down the line I would like to do the 4g63 swap, paint it white after getting dents and dings out, a little custom work to the interior, and lowering it just a little, onto the pics

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Welcome to the board.
    FYI if the system puts your post into moderation again, just leave a note on the shout box and someone will clear it.
    It will do this because of the links to your pictures. Once you hit XX posts the system will trust your links.
    It's just the anti spam thing doing it's job.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    AWESOME!...it has massive potential...looking forward to more pics

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Looks like a great project vehicle. If it's been sitting a long time, you'll be having fuel system problems first and foremost, but that's not too difficult to solve. I assume the extra carb is just sitting there, to the left?

It's always neat to see these trucks "discovered" in pristine condition, but it's also cool to see them in need of care...and watch the progress as they come back to life. This one will be a real interesting build. Best of luck on it!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    I'm sorry, I didn't notice on the first post that it said it had to be approved, I just thought I didn't do it right, it's definitely going to need fuel work, that gas was so rancid, going to go through the carb and put a line to a separate gas can to get it running first then trail back from there

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    going to go through the carb and put a line to a separate gas can to get it running first
    That's an excellent approach, CPL.

Though somewhat of a controversy on this forum, I recommend a good dose of SeaFoam during this procedure. Geezer has a home-remedy formula, but SeaFoam is readily available, and does do a great job of disolving schmutz in the fuel system.

I wish I could be there when you turn the key and this ol' thing sparks back to life!

Be sure to cruise through the list of things to do ("serving suggestions") camoit has provided in the thread "...what people recommend you do first..."
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

It's always good to have a list, in case you overlooked a detail.

The list includes replacing the timing belt, and even though yours might be at 47,000 miles, do be sure to inspect it. Time and sitting may have take their toll on the rubber, mice could nest in there, and having a look is just good caution. Also be sure to crank by hand in order to get oil circulating again.

Best of luck on this! I truly mean that.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    oh my that poor truck is looking for someone to save it. As I read your post about the mileage of only 47k miles and pictures and the work done to it or needing, I kind of am suspicious that these numbers are actually correct.
    Fuel issues after years of neglect are usually a pump or crystalized fuel filter that has hardened or a dirty tank. Pull tank, blow out lines.

Here is what I kind of see with this truck...This is just IMO.

These trucks are pretty decent and usually in 47K miles do not need a new clutch unless it has been towing a trailer or hauling stuff to wear it out in 47K miles. The carb needing rebuilt is possible in 47k since the stock carbs pretty much suck. Check to see if the tires are original or have been replaced is a good sign of actual miles also. Tires can show a lot with tread wear. The oil leakage around gaskets, valve cover and what not also can show age and 47K seems low to start leaking like the images show. You can also tell the wear and use of a vehicle by the plastic rocker panels where you get in and out of the truck. People tend to catch their shoes on these as they exit and enter a vehicle and this will tell you that they were doing a lot of stop and go driving. The speedo is what raises a question though mostly with my viewing it and how the 47 is sort of moved up showing the next numbers under it. This makes me believe it has past the 47 mark before and is on it's second time around. There are many other things that can help give age and usage to a vehicle also, but needs a closer look. The vehicle is 32 years old and 47K gives a figure of about 1,500 miles a year and the average today is over 16K a year.
    Again, this is all IMO stuff and not to be taken personally. If it has 47k original miles the truck looks like it has seen some abuse at sometime during this and needs some TLC. Even if it had 147K, just saying...the truck is still a great truck to have. There are so many benefits about it that it can't be passed up. You found a very potential truck and it also sounds like you have great ideas for it also. Be sure to post your pics as you progress and never be afraid to ask a question. We have all the information, manuals, and tech right here at MightyRam50.net you'll ever need, as you see by your post responses.
    Keep us informed and welcome to the forum.

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    The story her uncle told me was, it was in a fender bender, and after that the clutch didn't work, I'm going to check before I tear into it to make sure something just didn't break off or knock something loose, like I said on milage that's what I was told, a little skeptical myself, but under the valve cover it's very clean, we did have it kicked off with starter starter fluid so I'm very hopefull, thank you for the to check link I will definitely go through it

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the site carpoollane. Your D-50 is gonna need some love to get it looking straight but it'll surprise you how little amount of time it'll take to get it to live again. Put the word out for those hard to get parts and no doubt someone here will either have what you want, or know which direction to point you to get it.

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    I figured I would take the carb out and take it apart, about passed out from the old gas smell, holy cow

is it worth the rebuild? I know about the weber carb swap but I dont have the money for that, about the rest of it looks kind of clean,

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Wonder if the clutch cable snapped and needs replaced? How sweet if it's that simple!

Not to be confused with "Clutch Cargo", which is often confused with grabbing ones' crotch. ("John! Stop clutching your cargo in public!")

th.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Looks to me like that carb has a tiny little issue with it, lol. Either your using pure acid or creamy caramel for fuel and that isn't cutting it.
    If you can get that thing cleaned and all the ports trued up it maybe ok to fix. But, I must say when you put that back on after fixing be prepared to move a lot faster then it did, sheesh that bad.
    Might be better to grab a wrecking yard carb, but they could also be trashed. A weber can be found pretty cheap as well, $220 on up isn't bad for the performance you get from one, by far a weber was the best mod I put on my truck.

Oh by the way, almost forgot. That lower apron on your truck are available and reasonably price. Also Camoit had one at one time and was selling it dirt cheap. Maybe check to see if he still has it.

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    I don't know if a mod hasn't seen it yet or I actually didn't post it right this time, anyway I tried posting pics of the carb, it was quite bad, I want to rebuild the carb, it's just a little overwhelming looking at the blowup of it

Royster - it's not the cable, I wish it was, it's kind of confusing, I can push the clutch and it helps to move the shifter (when not running) I was going to get it running then see about the clutch

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The carb on that motor is not the original one, looks likes a 2bbl carter - the spare one looks closer to the original one. Your 4g52 is a timing chain, not a belt - it is the astron 2.0, not the sirius 2.0. Clutch cable could be broke, or came off the arm to the throwout bearing. Hard to say if the mileage is 47K or 147K, but it is a good clean starting point. Front bumpers are also available to replace your bent one - beware of the chrome ones, they are cut wrong and the ends will not fit on the facebar. Welcome to the forum.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    its a holley 2bbl, I just stuck it there to test fitment, the original was on the other side, I thought I read somewere the holley was a possibility, but I am probably wrong, I don't know how to describe the cable, it feels like its working but I don't know, hoping for a cheap fix fingers crossed

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    that picture is the original carb, I must not have posted it correct along with this, I think it will clean up but I jut noticed on the one on the left on the top pic has a crack maybe were it mounts to the top

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the holley that was used as a swap on these trucks was the 5200 holley weber, which is really a weber with emission fittings and were used on a variety of early 80's american 4cylinder cars. That carb is nasty - soak that in something for a long time to clean that out.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Based upon the below pic,
    You could clean all the gasket surfaces & the visible residue in accessible areas , That being said, the same 'goo' has taken up residence in the internal cross drilled passages of the original carb.
    The only way to clean same is to remove the lead plugs installed after Manufacture.
    Then utilize an chemical/ultrasonic/heat/mechanical repair procedure of choice and hope for the best!!
    ---As the sage has written---
    "Buy the WEBER "

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    Then the running aspect will have to wait for taxes, guess it's onto interior

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That driver door mirror is that factory? Im looking for that style for my d50

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    as far as I know it is, I haven't looked into it, what I did do is get the dash pad off and im sure its a gonner

also found that the rats loved this thing

all the wires were chewed through

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What the hell... The wiring will be a relatively easy fix but I've never seen rats eat through a loom before.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Seen it alot on cars and coin operated equipment - and most of that had asbestos covered and sometimes arcenic laced insulation.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Eldorado, ks
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    I just wish I wasn't broke so I could here the thing run