Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Unhappy Failed smog today

I'm a little bummed today. so i did transfer of title today and i was required to smog. well my 80 d50 failed emission. dang California and its emission test. Here are my numbers
    NO (PPM)
    10MPH PASS
    25MPH MAX(1383) MEAS(1404) FAIL

i didn't really pay attention to my oil service either but it was over 1000 miles. so after i failed i went and did a oil change a air filter(old one was dirty and brown) and spark plugs and im going to go try it again tomorrow.

what i did notice though when changing plugs which where autolite plugs i noticed the tips where really white..... what does that mean. the truck runs fine. like no shaking no weird noises or hesitation when driving. crossing my fingers for tomorrow. any input is really appreciated
    thanks michael

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    a few other things to check: for g54b "the" service manual recommends 88c (190f) or more with jiggle valve (i run a stant 45869 which is 195f in the 1983 g54b) improper engine temp will cause smog failure. another item to check is spark plugs (@ sometime the cross reference charts got messed up & most parts stores will recommend a hotter plug & not show the following) for a g54b "the" service manual recommends NGK bur6ea-11 or ND w20epr-s11 (i had trouble locating either of these for a reasonable price & run an equivalent autolite 63 @ $2.19 each in the 1983 g54b). improper spark plug heat value will cause smog failure (if you are an ngk lover like i am always remember their chart is opposite of most..the lower the #=hot & the higher the #=cold). another item is faulty advance mechanism (this may mean something as simple as vacuum leak) "typically" the line gets old & "usually" only cracks where it attaches. i recently had discovered 1 on the 1983 (after i was sure got all of them) & it was cracked on the underside where i couldn't see, after a quick snip off of the last 1/2" & reapply it was noticeably smoother. so check the line to the vacuum advance. another item is timing should be about 7 btdc (i run the 1983 around 9btdc).

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by sycoevo View Post
    what i did notice though when changing plugs which where autolite plugs i noticed the tips where really white..... what does that mean.
    thanks michael
    White usually means you're running HOT, either your plug range is too hot, timing is advanced or just running lean... which sounds like someone was trying to pass smog! in CA...

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The sparkplugs they gave me for the 2.6l was ngk#BPR5EGP ? So these are the wrong plugs?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    NGK plugs are different when it comes to heat range -as the number goes up, the heat range goes down. Each number change up drops the heat range 1/2 step. The normal plugs are BPR7EGP for an 80 D-50 2.6. Try those - it should help with the problem.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    White plugs mean its running too hot. High NOx. Lean condition. I bet your CO is low -- around 0.10 or lower, too. Replace the plugs to spec and clean the EGR passageway while you're at it. After you clean the gunk out, apply vacuum with a hand pump to the EGR at idle. The engine should stumble if the EGR is working. If not, it's either still clogged somewhere or the diaphragm is broken.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    I bet your CO is low -- around 0.10 or lower, too.
    An good call Sir, predicated of course upon the O/2 readings...or CO/2 readings.

sycoevo,

Could you post the V.I.R. 5 gas readings??? (with humble indulgence Sir),
    THX !

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I want to thank every one for there help. I did a oil change sparkplugs and wires with a air filter and went back the next day and it passed.

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I cant post the results from my phone so i will post them as soon as i get home.

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    20141004_102827.jpghere is the fail

Array
    Status
    california
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    20141004_102658.jpgtook it to another smog shop and passed with a lot better results

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Now that is quality control for you. This shows that it's all about the money and not the air we breath. If it was important to have the correct reading, the state would be checking these smog check machines on a regular basis for quality control. I wonder how many cars the first shop gets to correct a failed test and then does nothing to them except run another test with a slightly different setting or hangs the probe a little farther out the tail pipe. I personally think this is a load of crap for anyone that fails at that shop. Doesn't make sense how one fails and one passes like that. Sure glad you got your pass though.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    sycoevo,
    Thx for the V.I.R. posts---( vehicle inspection report for 'laymen').

Your '80 carb'd Ram it seems only needed to be driven a bit to an competent
    Smog shop , notwithstanding restoring the ign system to priesteen levels.

BradMph, If it was important to have the correct reading, the state would be checking these smog check machines on a regular basis for quality control.

The 'sample dilution (codex) has been in place since '97.
    I will use Ca as the example I am most experienced with...
    Sample dilution is an acutely accurate program written in to the any 'Smog machines' dna (as it were).

That being said, I have personally witnessed a 'licensed smog tech' shifting the '93 from 2'nd to 5'th on the dyno (25 mph 30sec read).---on my last registration smog cert needed. and handing Me a fail cert. the whores are everywhere.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It seems I left California while the gettin' was good.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It seems I left California while the gettin' was good ???

http://deq.state.va.us/Programs/AirCheckVirginia.aspx

• Dynamometer - Exhaust emissions are tested while a vehicle operates on a treadmill-like device, called a dynamometer, at 15 mph and 25 mph only. No high-speed testing is performed. This test will be given to most 1981 and newer vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating up to 8,500 pounds. The test is conducted by the inspector at the local testing facility.
    • Two Speed Idle Test - Some vehicle exhaust emissions are tested while operating at idle and at an engine speed of 2,500 rpm. This test is only for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 to 10,000 pounds, and for 1980 and older model year vehicles or other vehicles that, because of size or other mechanical configuration, cannot be accommodated on the dynamometer.
    • On-Board Diagnostic II (OBD II) Inspection - Most 1996 and newer model year vehicles will be subject to a computerized analyzer check that will look for fault codes that may be present in the vehicle's on-board computer. This inspection may be performed instead of, or in some cases in addition to, the dynamometer or two speed idle test on eligible vehicles. See OBD II inspections for more information.

???So royster You left Ca, and are now in an 'non-attainment' area in Va????

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Apologies sycoevo,for the thread hijack

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    Apologies sycoevo,for the thread hijack
    Indeed, sycoevo.

But...no emissions required for where I live.

Thanks, claych, for the insight. Cavity checks and x-ray searches seem next on that list!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks, claych, for the insight. Cavity checks and x-ray searches seem next on that list!

Attachment 11472