Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

So... About those seatbelts...

As you might remember from the other thread I started, my truck has the broken red button that was recalled, but I'm not gonna get anywhere trying to get it fixed under the recall.

What are my options here? All I need is a replacement latch assembly for the 3-point in an 88 Mighty Max with the bench seat. I'm seeing where I can get a full assembly for $250 but.. $250 is like, 1/4 of what I paid for the truck. Are there any alternate options?

Any vehicles other than the MM/D50 that I could yank a belt out of at the junk yard? If not, and I have to buy a new one, I'd just as soon not go to the expense of replacing the whole thing when all I need is the one part. I don't care what it looks like or what color it is as long as it works.

Any advice at all?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the eclipse/talon/mirage belts should work in your truck - another thread mentioned using them
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Might be worth your time to investigate fitting some new seats? (unless you need the bench for practical reasons)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Don't feel bad about the recall, strange thing is that they replace the seatbelts with the same fricken design that broke in the first place and will eventually do it all over again. Just like the exhaust manifold recalls back in the day that mysteriously was removed from the records, they installed the same type with the same inferior casting and they cracked all over again. Our federal government needs to correct these loop holes in recalls so that they just don't satisfy the requirement at that time.

Check ebay out, have them delivered for a much more reasonable price and avoid China made products. Unless you like going through a windshield.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    0923140805-00.jpg0923140806-00.jpg0923140807-00.jpg1st gen (1986)....roughly 1&1/4" wide x 1&1/4" deep.

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for all the replies.

re: buckets, I don't *need* the bench seat - it's just what came with the truck. I know we'll never use the 3rd seating position anyway. If I can't find a seat belt latch I'd look into replacing the seats if that would lead to a solution to my problem, but we're not looking to spend any more than we have to, so I'd just as soon just get the belts. For most of the rest of its life it's going to be making sub-50 mile round trips, so I don't care that the bench seat is uncomfortable.

re: ebay I've been looking, but so far I've only seen the 3-point harnesses being sold without the latch side.

re: pictures - got your PM - those do look awfully close to mine. I'll take measurements tonight to be sure, unless someone here can chime in and tell us if the '86 truck's belts are interchangeable with the '88 belts? I know sometimes they carry stuff like that over even into new generations.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that 86 should work with the 88 belts - they are the same era belts
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Should know by Tuesday - bought 'em from ragragtimetime and he's already shipped. Comparing the pictures and measurements, I can't imagine they won't work.

Now all I have to do is find a non-rusty rear bumper and a 3rd brake light and my truck will be complete, and de-rusted.. at least where you can see it, anyway