Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8

Switched Addiction

Well I had a build thread on the old board called Project Mighty Simple.

I will be changing the name of my project. I am changing the name because this was just gonna be a simple bag and drive daily type of build since it is my first. But i started getting creative and getting ideas and wanting to go all out on this. I STILL HAVENT FOUND A NEW NAME TO FIT...
    Also gonna copy and paste all my post from the last thread to keep everyone up to date.

Please feel free to comment, criticize, like, dis-like, etc. Please be open, honest, etc. I really want to hear what everyone has to say about my first build. This is very important to me. Enjoy

I used to work for a welding company where i learned to fit, fab, and weld. So i am taking that knowledge and my passion and love for custom mini trucks and bringing it together in this build.

Thanks for looking.
    1995 mighty max

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8

Catching up...

ok everyone. here is a lot of catching up..

my name is kenny and I bought this truck from a friend of mine for $200. IT WAS BONE STOCK WITH ONLY 150K ON IT. MINT INSIDE AND OUT. I HAVE ANOTHER ONE THAT I AM PICKING UP IN A FEW WEEKS... Drove it for 2 weeks and then had it dropped off at AN OLD?EX FRIEND. He was to do the work and he did work on it. But he did a very poor job at everything such as---BAD WELDS- CROOKED TABS- ONE OF MY CROSS MEMBERS WAS ALL LEANING AND SHIT. BAG PLATES AND GUSSETS LOOK LIKE?....? WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE.

Well me and that guy had a falling out and i brought my truck home and started re-doing it. I should have just started it and done it myself. Since bringing it home i have done a lot of grinding out welds, and rewelding them. (that is one skill that i am fairly good at. used to work for a welding company and learned to weld on pipe.) Had to add cross members and i re did how my tanks were mounted.--It has taken me almost 3 months to go over all the work that was screwed up...and i am still finding small things i need to do.-HERE ARE SOME PICS OF HIS WELDING---->

So far since i got it safe at home i have removed the bed and cab. I removed the motor and tranny and that was sold--only 150k original too.

-i then stripped the frame down to well just the frame--nothing but frame rails and crossmembers-

-i z'd the frame and got it all finished up

-i went back over 80% of the truck --GRINDING OUT and rewelding all the bad stuff that was left behind--left weld is my finished..top was his and the right one is how i ground his out..

-straightened one crossmember and added another.straightend

added

-fixed one of my lower bars- he welded it with the threaded end in and it seized in the bar and it was crooked----
    -i have my lower control arms now- i ordered them from DHP.

-Ordered some more tabs and adj. link ends--got them waiting

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    got a little done today. ground out a few welds and cut up some plates. Gonna be plating crossmember seems and a few places on the c notch this weekend.

also did a test fit on my new lcas.well just the drivers side...very simple to set up and install. might atleast get the drivers side done this weekend.

I have a friend of mine that just got a standard cab mazda and he is wanting to by my bag kit--(i am upgrading and gonna piece a kit together) AND HAVE ME DO THE FRONT ASAP..well atleast get it ready so that it just needs the bags put in.

Ill have plenty of pics throughout the weekend and will be updating alot aswell.

thanks for looking........
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    made some more progress and decided to stuff a sbc in this thing when it comes to that point...

recently i have been working on making my own upper control arm mounts. i have the basic design down and got the passenger side welded up and moving onto the drivers side. i still need to gusset and strengthen. then onto the bag plates and gussets. i have to reweld some of the pass. side still not happy with the looks of it.

i cut out the passenger side motor mount since they are no longer needed and will get to the drivers side tomorrow morning before work.

here are some pics of my work...this is my first time doing anything this in depth when it comes to building a truck. so far so good i think. let me know what you guys think.
    good or bad...ok...different etc. please be honest..you wont hurt my feelings i promise.

plates i made

first of work..

basic mount minus gussets and final plate size

this is a side view...and the little squiggly weld s just a filler to give me a better finish.... i have a lot of cleaning up, bracing, gusseting and misc. stuff to do still...

this is where i am at now as of this morning...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8

Old board catching up

heres a few pics.. they are current as of today...

motor mounts off and cleaned up, drivers side uca mount started.

damn i have so much more work to do....

thanks for looking..

please comment, like, dis=like, leave feedback please. thanks

4doorciv wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the consept of the square tubing designed like that. Also, removing the engine mounts tells me you won't be using the 2.4 anymore, or you are going to do a body drop and modify where the engine sits in the bay.

the square tubing is used to mock up and fab to the original two bolt holes that are from the factory locations. it looks like it does because its just scrap pieces that i had and didnt want to waste the money on buying more.... There are many other ways to do this. This being my first build that is this far in depth i chose to go this route.

this keeps the two points in the right spots while i build to them and come up with my design. then allows me to build them and not lose the original positions.

the motor mounts were removed because i am going with a sbc once i am done and satisfied with my frame and all its work still to come.

I am going to body drop it to the pinch...well atleast to the pinch but most likely to the rockers. I also z'd the frame. this helps with laying out ..it brings the cross member and the steering linkage components that are below the frame to be raised up so the truck truly lays out and doesnt rest on the components that are naturally below the frame rails.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    4doorciv wrote:
    Ah. Okay. I was wondering about the design. Have you given any thoughts on rolling the pinch? Also I remember a few builds on mightyd50 that layed frame without z-ing it. They pie cut the upper and lower control arms, and that's all I remember. It was a while ago.

pie cutting is to keep your ball joints from binding which helps with laying out or getting lift..depending on which way you cut them... i have never seen one of these in person that has layed on the frame and only the frame with out work... Truly laying frame flat with no ugly as rake.... and not sitting on anything else. ----without alot of work to steering components crossmembes....

---i have heard that some years are different ...idk about all of them...just mine...i had to z it so it would lay FLAT AND EVEN and not on the steering components..

thanks for looking

pennyman1 wrote:
    The Ram50/MM frame needs to be z'd to lay totally flat because the front crossmember sits too low in relation to the rear, causing the front to sit higher than the rear. Raising the front crossmember puts the bottom of the crossmember flush with the frame. Z'ing and new carrier and tranny crossmembers will make the frame totally flat side to side and front to rear. Definately not for the novice; btw great work on all the mods, much more than I can do. That's why I have friends that build race cars make the parts i need, it's worth it to be safe to me.

thanks for the help on clearing that up....and on the "SAFE" part i wouldnt do this stuff if i didnt have the know how and understanding of welding and fabbing. It was my job to weld, fit, and fab up structural and pipe. But yeah i get what you are saying. And thanks for reminding me to keep safety in my build. For others around me when its time.
    Thanks for looking and all of your input..

4doorciv wrote:
    Makes sense. Maybe that's what the guy did. Oh well. Please keep up the good work.

yeah most likely did. Thanks for looking and all of your input and questions. Please keep them coming..this is all a learning experience to me--the building a truck part atleast..
    thanks..

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    FOR MORE INFO ON MY BUILD OR A SOME STUFF THAT I LEFT OUT YOU CAN VISIT OTHER SITES WITH MY BUILD ON THEM..

HERE ARE MY LINKS TO THREADS AND PHOTOBUCKET project mghty max

http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p...0mighty%20max/

http://www.maxd50scene.com/forums/pr...mple-t978.html

i update very regularly..this is my dream and i have got my life together and can pursue it..thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You could call it Project Mighty Radikool - the work is in my mind, but then I am known for being out there so take it for what you will...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Awesome. Now we can continue to see updates. Keep us posted.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You could call it Project Mighty Radikool - the work is in my mind, but then I am known for being out there so take it for what you will...
    thanks for input on the name..i have a few...but honestly yours went to the top of my list...im a lil different myself...:o

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4doorciv View Post
    Awesome. Now we can continue to see updates. Keep us posted.
    yeah i remember one of your post hinting to me to make another build thread on the new board.....so here i am.

I wouldnt leave yall hanging...

thanks for looking, and i will def. keep ya posted.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    I have a question; what did you get the tubular control arms for? Are they stock geometry and just stronger, better built units?
    The only thing I have concerns about with my truck is the size and strength of the ball joins and other front suspension components. Ther's not much I plan to do about that except install all new stuff, and not try to corner hard (that's what my '86 D150 is for).
    So I was just curious...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by foolonthehill View Post
    I have a question; what did you get the tubular control arms for? Are they stock geometry and just stronger, better built units?
    The only thing I have concerns about with my truck is the size and strength of the ball joins and other front suspension components. Ther's not much I plan to do about that except install all new stuff, and not try to corner hard (that's what my '86 D150 is for).
    So I was just curious...
    originally i was gonna go with stock lca's but highly modified. I had a guy who was doing the work and he pretty much ruined one of them and i couldnt find any. so i purchased them. At that time i was not planning on going all out like i am and build it myself

the tubular lowers have 0 degree ball joint angle. helps with laying out. stock length. They can be built shorter, longer, adjustable, etc.
    They are quite beefy. Install is easy. Naturally triangulated.

i needed ball joints anyway and would have had to triangulate my lowers ..so by the time i bought stock lowers, ball joints, stuff to triangulate, and did the work--i pretty much bought new tubulars. so i did.

Mike at www.dallashotrodparts.com can help you out... uppers and lowers, however you want them.....and other stuff.

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Thanks! I'll look him up when I get ready to go for the front end stuff.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8

Project "switched addiction"

well everyone i am here to say that i have renamed my project/truck---- this is why....

it started off as just bag it and drag it...i got into some trouble...a dui and lost my license. I also was going back to old habits and they (drugs) started to interfere with my life--family, finances, work, truck, etc...i decided to go all out on this build which is my first full out build. I am dedicating this to myself...it is part of my motivation to stay clean and sober and be healthy

i gave up everything and decided to live a clean sober and healthy life. I have been clean and sober for a little of 3 months.

But...i replaced those bad addictions with another....my truck! So the new name is "Switched Addiction". Its so perfect for me and my situation.

Well there are no updates since i am doing a major clean up on the garage and need to get a few things in order..well a gameplan...

THANKS FOR LOOKING
    Last edited by l.k.; 04-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Is there anyway to change this title so it will show new name instead of old

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Congratulations on staying sober. I haven't experienced anything of an addiction other then workaholic. Alcohol to me has it's own reason, the morning after, it's really hard to work. I'm very sluggish and forgot small things and hoping they stay small things that don't end up burning any motors. Drugs, I can get the same feeling from adrenalin. And can do without the addiction part. And becides, I can't afford a bad habit for very long with my expenses.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by l.k. View Post
    Is there anyway to change this title so it will show new name instead of old
    Did you try editing your first post? If not a request to moderators or admin and they'll figure it out.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Well guys i am gonna pack up some parts and do some more cleaning, going to look for a narrower rear end. I know to look for older yota or pathfinder but that is it. I want to keep it six lug. Get it a little narrower. And gonna do disc brakes. And the older yota and pathfinder comes stock with all that i need..

Any one have any help for me.....

i have to research to see what else i can use that is different from what i know and gives me my options.

thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Congratulations on staying sober. I haven't experienced anything of an addiction other then workaholic. Alcohol to me has it's own reason, the morning after, it's really hard to work. I'm very sluggish and forgot small things and hoping they stay small things that don't end up burning any motors. Drugs, I can get the same feeling from adrenalin. And can do without the addiction part. And becides, I can't afford a bad habit for very long with my expenses.
    ^^^well arent you blessed....must be nice...i have a disease and i just simply cant drink or use drugs. My mothers side of my family had a lot of drinkers. A few of them were diagnosed with alcoholism. They all died from it along with liver problems. My mom died before she ever had a chacnce to realize there was a problem. she was 21...
    My therapist and counselor says that i recieved this disease and that it is hereditary..its severe...
    I told here she was fucking crazy...and quit everything since....
    Did you try editing your first post? If not a request to moderators or admin and they'll figure it out.
    i can only seem to edit the last 2 or 3 post that i have made.. check yours and see if yuo see an edit option on yours... only the last few have the option to edit

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I would look into an Isuzu Rodeo rear end. 1997. They are Dana 44 with disk brake. Thats what I'm using. Then get off set rims. They are real close to the width of our trucks. there is not much that is more narrow then ours. Our trucks are only 4 foot wide on the inside of the durum's. It's NOT a direct swap over.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    I would look into an Isuzu Rodeo rear end. 1997. They are Dana 44 with disk brake. Thats what I'm using. Then get off set rims. They are real close to the width of our trucks. there is not much that is more narrow then ours. Our trucks are only 4 foot wide on the inside of the durum's. It's NOT a direct swap over.
    thanks for the name change... that really means alot.

i will check into the rear and i dont plan on buying and after market rims. just some stock chevy, gmc, or cadillacs...but that could change..

I am not worried about it being diect swap...i am bagging, backhalfing and 4 link, etc...no biggie.

thanks for the info and for looking

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Sorry man, your right. I don't see an edit button. Too used to speed hawaii forums. I stand corrected.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    just a couple more days and ill be back on this.....just doing little things that need to be done while i save some money and get a direct plan..

thanks for looking

4doorciv--its cool man i was just making sure there wasnt a flaw that marty needed to know about..
    thanks

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    well today i got the cab cleaned out besides seat column and dash. Getting ready for the body drop. Ill throw some pics up tomorrow when i get off work...

i have so many parts that i wont be needing since i am going with a SBC (small block chevy), and it will be automatic...

big tranny tunnel-carpet wont fit anymore..bench seat gone--going with buckets..
    air box, fan shroud, all kinds of sensors, radiator, condenser, ill have a list of stuff im selling soon..

thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8

getting ready for the body drop

today i made some good progress. I got the cab stripped down and the parts boxed up ready to be stored away for a long while.

I am at a point to where i am just bouncing around and doing all kinds of things. (Taking a break from the frame, link setup, etc.)-Most of them are just little things to prep for the next step. And a few little mods like shaving antenna, gas door, along with trying to find parts and sell parts.

Tomorrow i am gonna store my parts and strip the front end off and store that as well. Then go under the hood and remove all unnecessary items and get them ready to sell. I have good bit of stuff i will be selling...THINKING OF SELLING THE ENTIRE INTERIOR. Future plans are custom door panels, carpet, different seats, and a sheet metal dash or one out of an older car. Not sure of what exactly.

i have alot to put out there about whats next and other stuff involving my truck

THANKS FOR LOOKING

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast