Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Riding Mowers, Tractors and Old Engines

There are several members who are interested in old tractors and antique engines: this thread gives them a chance to post pictures and talk shop. As well, several of us have riding mowers...I keep about 5 acres mowed...and there are many interesting aspects of these urban legends. An MTD I bought years ago was rebuilt by a guy who raced riding mowers. Yes: there is a competition for speeding riding mowers. Anyway, that motor was a helluva thumper, and I still have it. I bought a basket-package from him, and still have most of that stuff. I want to resurrect the '98 MTD some day: it has a head gasket issue.

Currently I mow with an MTD 38" 13.5HP mower, bought it new two years ago. The basic design hasn's changed in nearly 30 years.

I will NEVER own a Craftsman rider again, though it was my first.

scan0007.jpg
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    not bad concept for a thread. I have a husqvarna 54in with 24hp Kawasaki 0-turn. had it almost 3 years now and has been a great mower. ill throw some pics up later

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Look forward to seeing them.

I have an old Wheelhorse I'll try to get pictures of. It ran fine, but the shifter is dysfunctional...this is the model where they put the gear shift on the steering column...a neat idea, but impractical in practice due to linkage binding.

I'd love to find the pictures of my '98 MTD after I tried to put dual exhaust on it. It's funny and yet impressive, but dual exhaust was worthless for the engine, and for reducing sound. The only quiet mower I've ever heard was a John Deere, and I'd love to get ahold of one of those mufflers.

Go-carts could be included on this thread...sort of what D-50's are
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    I'm in.....I had an MTD since 1995, and never changed the oil or tune up, when I finally did, it blew.

Still have that mower, just needs an engine.

Bought a new John Deere from Lowes......nice.

A co worker had a Saber, made by John Deere, he was gonna throw it in the dump. I rescued it, new blades, tune up, runs perfect, cuts great......has a big hole in the deck. Still nice mower.

I'll post pics when I get to work in the morning.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Holding My Horses

Wheelhorse, left, "Crazy Horse" right...both waiting for "some day" resurrection. Crazy Horse has the racing engine in it.

DSC00007.jpg

Crazy Horse has bumpers...not so much for protection, though I've hit a few trees...but for lifting by hand when that unexpected ditch makes its presence known.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Theres a tranny shop down the street from me. They have an old cast iron mini tractor/mower ( cant remember exactly) that they use to tow non running vehicles into and out of the shop. Makes me wanna get one to move stuff around.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    This little temptation sits just outside of Woodstock, Virginia. Looks like it would just keep going, even if the driver fell off. Very determined-looking.
    DSC00039.jpg DSC00040.jpg

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This is my 1941 case sc tractor. I acquired this pretty much just because I always thought it would be cool to own an old tactor. It basically is used to drag a friends drive, drive in parades and if they ever get the tired iron club going again I will join that. One day I will restore it. Basically just needs a couple gaskets, very lil work to get in paint. And I do need to have the starter rebuilt (turns over real slow). Once started it runs like a champ, doesnt smoke and drives like it supposed to.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Royster. There use to be a lawn mower racing club here. Unfortunatly it was poorly ran. Seemed to me like it was ok for the higher ups to rub/wreck others but if someone just got a little close to them they were furious. Rules were gray depending who you were. Was funny watching some the guys that had less engine/mower out run the guys with deep pockets that thought the more they spent the better they were, had lots of money but couldnt drive. lol... Some of my friends raced (the guys that had less mower but could drive) and were always trying to get me to build a mower. Didnt like the way the club was ran so I never did.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    How serious can you get about racing ride on mowers? When a few stupid men start to take over by throwing money and bad attitude (and a couple of swollen egos) into what should be a fun social event, the whole thing turns sour for everyone...

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Exactly. It took me 1 time to watch them race to see how things were. Later on I went to watch them race with a friend and was talking to the guys brother that ran the club. There was an out of town guy there that was racing a super mod (actually looked like a mower) and entered in the outlaw class (basically a stretched out go cart.. about the only rule to be classified a mower was using about 3ft of the frame). The guy on the super mod could race and was leading all the outlaws. The guy I was talking to kept bragging up his brothers cart and how fast it was.. He could not get around the guy on the super mod, last lap he porpously slid into him (pretty much t-boned him) in the last turn to get around him. Thats the way they rolled.
    Ive seen it everywere were guys with deep pockets think the more money you throw at their car, mower or whatever think they will be unbeatable.. I use to race R/C gas buggy. I raced guys that had more money in their engine then I had in my entire buggy. Granted they all had atleast 5 yrs experience and I was new. I couldnt out run them (except on the straight) but when I first started I was getting lapped every lap pretty much (slow is fast in r/c racing) and when I quit racing I was on the lead lap. R/C racing was a blast but due to a job change I no longer had time to run on a regular basis.. Met some of the coolest guys racing r/c.. They didnt care I was running no-name buggy and equipment.. I was racing and thats all they cared about..

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I really enjoyed your thread and like your all ideas. I am searching for some latest model of lawn mower and my friend suggests me to buy Lawn Mower Sales Marietta from a dealer as they also give some exciting offers.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Here's a really cool animation of the RMS Titanic's steam eninges...wonderful detail and explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDFqY-0Do8

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    recently purchased a zero turn...with a 708cc v-twin its more like a go-cart on steroids wheelie machine

Array
    Status
    paris
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G15
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Look forward to seeing them.

I have an old Wheelhorse I'll try to get pictures of. It ran fine, but the shifter is dysfunctional mutuelles TNS...this is the model where they put the gear shift on the steering column...a neat idea, but impractical in practice due to linkage binding.

I'd love to find the pictures of my '98 MTD after I tried to put dual exhaust on it. It's funny and yet impressive, but dual exhaust was worthless for the engine, and for reducing sound. The only quiet mower I've ever heard was a John Deere, and I'd love to get ahold of one of those mufflers.

Go-carts could be included on this thread...sort of what D-50's are
    Well, I too have this bad experience, but after that I changed the exhaust into something more discreet.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I will have to take some pictures when I get home

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    IMG_4143.jpg My restored '66 Sears 10 hp. actually the second one I've restored.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Beautiful piece o'work, 2nup!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    IMG_0883.jpgIMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.jpgIMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpg
    My 80 something montgomery ward 10hp. Saved it from the scrap heap this summer. The front end was gone. I made new spindles for it. The nylon bushings that hold the spindles were upgraded. I brazed a fender washer to a hex nut with the same size hex as the nylon bushings. bored it out in the lathe to accept a bronze bearing. Not shown, before tack welding the fender washers to the front axle, I swaged a piece of electrical conduit to have hex ends. It was placed between the two kingpin bushings and tapped with a grease fitting. Once the washers were welded to the axle, I reamed the kingpin bushings and installed the spindles. Steering is tighter than a ducks ass in a rainstorm, and the bronze kingpin bushings are easily replaceable.
    The stack muffler was made from 3/4" electrical conduit and a piece of 1-3/4 exhaust pipe. I welded on an extension with an outward turn, not shown. The muffler is braced to two bolts on the engine. The triangulated mount will keep the vibration from cracking the head or stripping the exhaust flange bolts.
    It also got a new carb and battery. I replaced most of the wiring. Uses a regular tractor ignition switch. A normally closed relay is powered by the ignition side of the switch and grounds the magneto when shut off.
    I only took limited photos, and she is hibernating for the winter. Why are my photos showing up sideways when I attach them?
    Last edited by Giovanni89; 02-01-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nup350 View Post
    IMG_4143.jpg My restored '66 Sears 10 hp. actually the second one I've restored.
    I think I just peed a little

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Well that is a beautiful thing, ain't it
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    My 80 something montgomery ward 10hp.
    It's always impressive to see someone fabricate their own parts...and they work Nice job, Giovanni!

Is that an MTD in disguise? Some of the features look it. The exhaust is inspiring...if it ever thaws out here in Virginia, I may have to try something like that.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    It's always impressive to see someone fabricate their own parts...and they work Nice job, Giovanni!

Is that an MTD in disguise? Some of the features look it. The exhaust is inspiring...if it ever thaws out here in Virginia, I may have to try something like that.
    I believe so. If memory serves me correctly, it's an 83. I believe the earlier Montgomery Wards were made by White. I found one more picture with the finished exhaust. Pulling all the appliances out of the house for scrap. About 1000lbs behind it.
    trailer.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You men are mechanical repair masters & metal wizards, terrific restorations & handiwork, really..! In a photo above, Vermont seems to have a lot of snow, yikes..! I remember Montgomery Wards stores; bought my first socket set n' wrenches there... I don't have any cool yard machines anymore but I still have my -POWR-KRAFT- hand hacksaw... The blue handle might be bakelite, I painted it red n' it's one of the few (before divorce) tools I still have to remind me of my childhood...
    Powr Craft Hacksaw.jpgPowr Craft tools.jpg
    Last edited by xboxrox; 02-07-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling of POWR-KRAFT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast