Array
    Status
    Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Swapping 4d55/Electronics into a gas truck

Im sure the info is out there somewhere, but i have yet to find any documentation on this. I have 2 1984 D50s. One is a gas truck in really good shape, the other is a Diesel that runs good, but the body is rusted an dented. I basically want to either put the 4d55 into the gas truck or put the good body onto the diesel frame. I would just switch the fenders, doors and bed out, but the cab is rusted. an the gas body is in excellent shape. I also need to switch the dash out of the diesel into the gas truck, it is in better shape, and it has a tach. How hard is it to switch out all the wiring, relays and switches, fuel filter, and hydraulic clutch, dash wiring, and battery location into the gas truck?

Array
    Status
    Chelsea, IA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I did exactly what you are thinking when I was 17, and before I had any of the electrical insight I have now. Make sure you park everything and have patience. I pulled the entire diesel harness and swapped it, making a connection block to adapt back to the truck body harness under the dash. Rear truck harness was basically lights and fuel gauge I think. Seems like there were a couple wires left hanging, but I did not find anything that did not function.
    I installed the whole gauge module from the diesel, and the diesel indicator lights were mounted in a custom bracket under the center vents.
    The gas has the battery under the hood, which is where I left it, and shuffled some other things around. Think I ditched the windshield washer tank. The gas has a narrower opening for the radiator, and a smaller radiator. Rather than cut it out, I just used the gas radiator. IT ran a little hot if I tried to maintain 70 on the interstate in July, but otherwise no problems.

Note, this has been 10 years ago, and probably 7 since the truck has been running (head issues) so details may be a little foggy.

Array
    Status
    Chelsea, IA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    *mark everything, not park

Array
    Status
    Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thabks for replying. Posted this a while ago haha. I ended up pulling the whole harness out of the diesel truck. Engine harness, and dash harness. As far as the radiators, you must have had a 2.0 gas. The 2.6 had the same size radiator. I'll just be swapping the whole harness over and using the diesel gauges. I pulled everything, the idle up cable and mount, the diesel indicator light etc. I plan on leaving the battery in the gas location as well, although i did pull the positive cable and battery mount for the diesel application. Just put a new headgasket on the motor the other day. Now just need to put the timing kit on and then I'll put the motor in the truck.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    How many wires run to the engine? I read it was like 2 because everything's mechanical on the diesel. Is that true?