Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Cold Air Intake for Weber

Has anyone ever used this part on their Webers?
    I was thinking of this plus a silicone boot to a pipe running straight down to the ground. Looks like it would actually restrict airflow because the opening is too small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Progre...p2054897.l5676

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/180-s...180-p-667.html

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    My bet is with both of those items joined together your intake will hit the hood when closed. The 180 degree elbow is probably not a good idea to start with as I'd think it would collapse onto itself and close off the intake air path (it will be attempting to support it's own weight plus whatever it is connected to). Also the adapters' throat is wider than the silicon elbow so the 2 won't go together anyway. Tips for building a better cold air intake - minimal deflections in the incoming airs' direction, no corrugated ducting (they increase drag and also are awesome at collecting any airborne debris in the bottom of them) and try to get intake air from the front of the truck not below the chassis rails (less airborne debris and if you ever hit water it won't attempt to suck it up) Stock air intakes on modern vehicles are not the junk some think they are - have a look through the JY's and see different designs and configurations they come in. There's a good chance that you will spot something that you could modify to suit your plan. Cold air means torque and horses!

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the info. Im a newb here, where are the JY's?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    JY's are 'junk yards' ( a lot of members here refer to them here like that) Pick-a-part is a good place to do some research and development. I have seen an intake adapter specifically for a blow through turbo application that would connect nicely to a number of 'off the shelf' cold intake set ups, but the price was over the top

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for that!
    I have seen a lot of different "creative" setups in water cooled setups, my friend turbocharged his and pulled his air from the rain gutter, getting air from the vents.
    those webers have that odd shape around the top that make adapters to a round shape very appealing.
    I do like the original set up minus the intake runs over the motor, never made sense to me.

Array
    Status
    Denver CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Vw water cooled setups that is.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The air intake over the engine is a compromise. It was the longest path they could configure in a straight line (easy way to build torque is a longer intake) and also made it convenient to have a heater duct running off the exhaust manifold for cold weather starts.