Array
    Status
    Albuqureque, NM
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

2.4L Timeing Degree help

Ok, so I purchased a 1990 Mighty Max that sat for 15 years. I have since done a full tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, air filter)and done the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. I have it all back together and I am trying to find out what the timing degree is supposed to be at? It is currently running at what looks like 0 degrees, about an inch behind the 10 degree mark.

Any help would be amazing as this is my first Mighty Max and I really like it.

Tyler

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    First the cam belt timing should look like this.

closer look at the bottom end

you have to make sure the balance shaft on the drivers side is in the correct position.

dowwn load this manual for instructions http://www.mmeierle.com/images/Max/1...2%20ENGINE.pdf

page C 34 has the instructions. You will want to save that manual for future reference.

The actual Timing procedure is a bit of a trick, since the computer controls the timing, you set the "BASE" timing by grounding the timing mode wire and setting the distributor to 3 to 7 degrees BTDC

The timing mode wire is here...Timing Plug.JPG remove the cover and ground with a test lead or similar.

more information and procedures are available in the 216 manuals post here

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-216-Manuals

Good luck

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Excellent help, LSR Mike...I only point out that the illustrated engine does not show the B belt timing mark because it has been eliminated on that engine illustrated. I offer also the "nub" illustration for the head timing, which is a common mistake to overlook: some have used the top of the head for timing mark, and that is incorrect.

scan0038.jpg

This is the best picture I have showing the B belt timing position...hope it is of some help.
    scan0036.jpg

One more note: be sure to pull the big belt from the crank to the cam, so that tension is on that side. When I first replaced that belt, I did the tension on the tensioner-side, and that's just plain wrong

I used a wire with alligator clips on each end to ground the timing module. There is only one prong inside the module, and you ground that to the firewal (there's another ground wire nearby). This WAS tricky, if you've never done it before, but if you didn't ground the module, it is exactly why you'd have a zero timing setting. I set my timing at 5-7 degrees TDC and it runs great.

One final note is to admit a mistake I made: in trying to hastily re-time the engine, in dim light, I actually clipped onto a plastic prong of the module instead of the metal! Be sure you're on the prong, use good lighting, and above all...take your time.
    Last edited by royster; 09-08-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    mexico
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hello, the photograph scan0036.jpg shows the crankshaft pulley set in time but the notch is outside the mark you placed, isn't it the notch that defines the point? Or is there another point and I haven't noticed?

Array
    Status
    Albuqureque, NM
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Thank you so much for the help. I got her set at 7 base. I did accidentally ground the wrong one at first as there are two plugs with caps right there. the wrong one you just have to replace a fuse. Freaked me out though. haha.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The cool thing about working on these trucks is you only need one experience to remember forever what to do and what not to do.

Hope your truck gives you happy service!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    mexico
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    What is that fuse you mention? in what part is it located

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    when checking them belts or replacing them, be sure your balance shafts are in the right positions. Give them a little roll and they will sort of glide on their own to their marks. It's a kind of...do it once and you'll know how the next time. Balance shafts counter each other to smooth the motor in the driver seat, but this is just one of those things that should be correct if belts are removed and re-installed.