Array
    Status
    modesto California
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

difficulty setting ignition timing on my 4g64

Hey guys first post here. Just bought a 92 mighty max with a blown head gasket for my work truck. Anyways rebuilt her from the head up, she runs pretty Damn well. Anyways ive never had to deal with a dizzy before and just a tad confused here. I have a dial back timing light to get the timing. Ive attempted timng it multiple times. She runs and drives fairly well. Just in lower RPMs it shakes a little more than id like. Anyways is there maybe.DIY on setting ignition timing or what do ou guys set yours at? All ive seen is 5 BTDC and 8 BTDC and i beleive ive tried both. Still doesn't feel right.Any help would be awesome

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    since you changed the timing belts recently, did you follow the thread on the correct way to install the timing belt? The book method will put you one tooth off. The other cause of roughness is the silent shaft being 1 tooth off.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    modesto California
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    since you changed the timing belts recently, did you follow the thread on the correct way to install the timing belt? The book method will put you one tooth off. The other cause of roughness is the silent shaft being 1 tooth off.
    Well the first time i put the timing belt on i fogot to make sure that the balancer on the main timing belt was i guess you would say "balanced", like how you're supposed to spin it until its balanced on the mark, idk i watched a video, anyways i took both belts back off and lined up the marks after spinning both balancers to balance them. Put everything back on. It idles smoothly although the truck doesnt have a tachometer. It will only shake for a couple thousands rpms and its smooth the rest of the way out. Just a little shaky when i give it initial throttle. All the marks line up though. If it wereoff a tooth wouldn't a mark be off?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Take a look at this thread - it should answer your questions:http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...g+belt+install
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Also, when setting the Timing you need to put the ECU into "timing mode" to set the base timing.

Check this thread also..

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ht=base+timing

Array
    Status
    mexico
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hello, will someone have the correct step-by-step way to do the timing, since the link to the manual is not available, is the timing terminal grounding executed before starting the vehicle? and is it saved when removing the connector? Or just turn off the engine?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Grounding the plug stops the computer advance. You ground it. Then start it. Time it. Then turn it off and un ground it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Grounding the plug stops the computer advance. You ground it. Then start it. Time it. Then turn it off and un ground it.
    Marty, I hope none of this applies to my 1986 truck..? mightybucket, does your 1992 truck distributor have a vacuum advance diaphragm actuator ? If so, pull a vacuum on it an see if it's arm moves and actually advances the timing... Ignorant me knows nothing about the 1992 trucks...
    Good Luck fixing the issue...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    4G64 is EFI - the ECU does ignition and injection pulses off the ICM in the distributor. All electronic.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    mexico
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hello, I still have the problem and changed the distribution bands, adjusted with the marks and balanced the oil pump. By putting the marks on point, I confirm that cylinder one is at the top point and that the rotor and rotor head are pointing to the spark plug cable exit 1 Once I have done this, I check the point on the crankshaft, which marks exactly at "TDC T" which I suppose is point 0, so I continue to put the synchronization ground point for the ecu, and I put the strobe light, the which marks a point with respect to the "T" more or less 2.5 centimeters to the right with respect to the hands of the clock, with which it completely leaves the plastic part that marks "TDC"So what am I doing wrong?Could it be that the distributor gear moved a little?or the optical sensor plate is rotated upside down?Could someone provide data regarding the signal emitted by the optical sensor in this case J915?It is worth mentioning that I have to be accelerating so that the engine is maintained, since when I put it in synchronization mode, it completely loses idle.the truck is mighty max 93 2.4 4g64