Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Truck died and won't start

I have a 1990 MM 2.4 that died and never started. I figured it was a fuel pump since the relay clicks but the pump won't run. I replaced the pump and it still won't start. Any ideas what to check next?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi Codebox, sorry to hear yet another new member having trouble getting their truck off the ground. Define "won't start" - won't turn over, turns over but doesn't fire etc. Was it running when you got it and it died on you,or did you buy it as a non-runner?

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've had it for about a year and a half with no problems other than normal maintenance or wear and tear parts. I was in a parking lot and I started to accelerate and it got up to probably about 5 mph and died. I tried to start it back up but it won't fire. It cranks over and it has strong spark.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Also, not sure if it matters but my check engine light doesn't work. It didn't work on my two stock clusters (first one went up in smoke) and it doesn't work on my tach cluster from a 89 Ram 50.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    At this point I'd check you timing alignment marks for the crank vs the cam - see if they're all still set correctly. Crank it over and quickly pull a spark plug out of it to see if the plug is getting hit with raw fuel. If you have fuel + ignition spark + correct timing then you should get it to start.

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    That's my next step. One of my friends says it sounds like it's trying to start with no compression so my belt probably jumped a tooth. Makes sense since my seals leak oil onto it. Thanks for the advice I'm gonna give that a shot.