Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

302/T5 Swap, New Member!

Hey guys, about 2 months ago I stumbled across an awesome deal on a 1989 Dodge Ram 50. She is showing 116xxx miles, and sports the 2.0 with manual trans. I bought this truck to save money on gas and wear and tear as my daily driver was a 12 valve Cummins diesel pickup. Instantly loved the truck. I did a full tune up, as well as replaced timing belts and front cover gaskets as I was leaking almost a quart a week (no good!). Removed the stock mechanical fuel pump as well and went with an electric pump. With all the work I have already done I've been on this site a whole lot, figured it was finally time to become a member and introduce myself. In 6 months the truck will have paid for itself in fuel savings, at which point I've decided I am going to make this a fun hot rod. I've been a Ford man all my life, and I've seen where a few people have put 302s in these trucks. Really Dont want to go 318/360 as I already have a 302 HO fuel injected and a T5 laying around. Question is, how big of a hassle is it? I know custom mounts and all, which I'm prepared for. But what work is there to do on the transmission cross member? Any and all input/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome! There are a few guys here with some swaps and the resident gurus camoit, geezer, etc.. that are very knowledgeable and im sure will chime in. I am planning for the same swap on my mm! I plan for the 400-550 range build but am building the stocker for in the mean time. I have found doing some research that there are some trans that do not require a massive amount of fab work to fit certain trans. From what I hear t5/c5/c6 and some newer style (mid 80s+) ford trans are smaller.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Yep the only mod I did on the cab was cut the tranny tunnel opening at the firewall and slid that section up 2" then welded in a section to replace the cut area so I could put in an AOD. Dropping in the 302 was easy you just need to make frame extensions off the factory mount area. I used 1/2"x3" Flat bar to extend the mounts forward. If you use a C4/Small block C6,T5,T56 you shouldn't need to do any cutting as the AOD's has a 12" torque converter and a huge bell housing.Get a front sump oil pan and timing cover off a 70's car and it clears all the steering. The tranny X- member is easy too I used the 1/2"x3" flat bar again and made a mount that sits right in line with the factory rear frame bolt holes, then made wings to bolt the front holes. The front of the drive shaft needed to be cut down and a Ford yoke and slip yoke was installed. I left the back stock till I replaced the rear diff with a 7.5" posi out of a first gen Ranger. There are pic's of some of the stuff in the First gen forums if you want to take a look.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I guess after the V8 installation the truck will not be paying for itself any longer huh?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...behave yerself Brad It will be paying dividends when it launches so hard it squeezes the air out of his lungs (what kind of price tag can you put on that!) The minimal weight the 302 will be left pushing around will still make it frugal to run (comparatively). Might not be everyones' hamburger but if it is done right all will be forgiven

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Remember Brad I'm getting about the same gas mileage with the 300+ hp 302 as the original 2.0L got and I still have a worn out carb on the truck.Should be 24-26 mpg in the city with an EFI set up.

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would assume alot of it depends how often you put your foot in it..lol And ofcourse the gears.. Hearing the rumble does make it tempting..lol

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Ford V8
    Do any of you guys have any pics of your work. I've just sourced a 302 with t5 and would like some more info on motor mounts and wiring ect. The one I sourced is fuel injected so I'm guessing I will need a ecu and wire harness.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    What year 302? I just picked up an '88 sefi out of a TBird for $140.
    There are a few builds with V8 posted, Maybe try the search in the top right hand corner of the forum window.

Fordubishi is a very knowledgeable about the Ford engines. Seems everyone's build is different here. Just got to jump into it and fabricate as you go. I think the AOD might be a better trany also for the 302, but he will know better since he is a Fordubishi guy, lol.

Grab a thread and post your request and maybe some pictures too. We all like photos and your answers should come within 24 hours or so.

Welcome to the Forum, you have joined one of the best here.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    You are getting 24-26 mpg in the city? Wait wait I need my Canadian shovel on this. How are you getting that kind of mileage in the city? Does every road up there in Canada go down hill? or is the air 4 times as dense then it is down here? Premium fuel will get better mileage, sure. So lets calculate the cost on your 24-26 mp imperial gallons. I seen you drive in them videos and I know your not a pussy foot on the gas peddle, Mr. Burnout. I also want to know how many sets of tires you go through. If your getting that mileage, your primaries on your carb must be 1/2in in diameter and octane is 94+.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Remember Brad I'm getting about the same gas mileage with the 300+ hp 302 as the original 2.0L got and I still have a worn out carb on the truck.Should be 24-26 mpg in the city with an EFI set up.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    read it again - he said you should get 24 - 26 mpg with the efi motor, his truck was getting the same as the 2.0 he took out and the 302 had a bad carb.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980