Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Headliner Help?

My '87 MM sat for about 7 years and I'm finally getting around to putting it back together. The headliner looks like it's gotten wet at some point in the past and sags badly. I've taken it out and I'm pulling off all the old insulation, but can't figure out how I'm going to get it back in shape and hold it there. So, a couple of questions:

(1) Any ideas on how to get it to hold its shape? The only thing I've been able to think of is to make a fiberglass shell to glue the headliner to. I think that would give the strength to hold it, but would be a real pain in the butt. Anyone had any luck with something easier?

(2) What should I use to replace the insulation, if anything?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, Lem~
    Stroll down the insulation aisle at Home Despot or Lowe's and see what strikes your fancy.

While you're there, consider what it would take to use a half sheet of Luann to make a "halo" support you could glue or rivet the headliner to. "Halo" meaning not the whole area of the roof, but the flattest area of it, in which the thin plywood would offer some straightening-out support of the headliner. Another approach would be to glue such a support onto the headliner while on a flat surface: use the Locktite PL concrete caulking, and it will outlast the 3rd generation of you grandchildren. Weigh it down with bricks or your mother-in-law, and let it set 24 hours.

A simple suggestion from a simple mind.

Since you have that open, NOW is the time to think about extra map lights and stuff. Remember: the latex trailer-hitch testicles are illegal in Virginia, so if you hang those from the headliner, be sure to have some discrete covering for them should you drive here. A jock strap comes to mind
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    when I fixed Geronimo's headliner (there was none after I installed dynamat) I went to a craft store and bought the heaviest poster board they had and cut a panel that would slide in and stay in place, then covered it with cloth matching my interior. No issues after 15 years...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Hey, Lem~
    Stroll down the insulation aisle at Home Despot or Lowe's and see what strikes your fancy.
    Yeah. that was going to be my next step. Just thought someone here would have some suggestions about what to use or avoid. Anyone use that rubber chip carpet padding? Seems like it would quiet things down a bit and not absorb much moisture.

While you're there, consider what it would take to use a half sheet of Luann to make a "halo" support you could glue or rivet the headliner to. "Halo" meaning not the whole area of the roof, but the flattest area of it, in which the thin plywood would offer some straightening-out support of the headliner. Another approach would be to glue such a support onto the headliner while on a flat surface: use the Locktite PL concrete caulking, and it will outlast the 3rd generation of you grandchildren. Weigh it down with bricks or your mother-in-law, and let it set 24 hours.
    I hadn't thought about using something flat. I'll have to go take another look in the morning, but it seemed like it all should be slightly curved.

A simple suggestion from a simple mind.
    Oh, that mind is anything but simple!

Since you have that open, NOW is the time to think about extra map lights and stuff. Remember: the latex trailer-hitch testicles are illegal in Virginia, so if you hang those from the headliner, be sure to have some discrete covering for them should you drive here. A jock strap comes to mind
    Fuzzy dice will be the most elaborate I get and I don't plan on being in Virginia with my truck, so no worries about my balls hangin' out.

Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by Lem Forder; 09-05-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    when I fixed Geronimo's headliner (there was none after I installed dynamat) I went to a craft store and bought the heaviest poster board they had and cut a panel that would slide in and stay in place, then covered it with cloth matching my interior. No issues after 15 years...
    So, the Gen 1 headliner is flat? The Gen 2 is a molded piece. That's what makes it challenging.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I will look at the 89 I have and see if my solution to Geronimo's headliner will work - I'll let you know.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Appreciate it.