Thread: 93 Mighty Max Head Gasket & Bolts HELP!!!

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

93 Mighty Max Head Gasket & Bolts HELP!!!

Just like the title says I have found only one post on this question. I need to change the head gasket on my truck, I cant find the head bolts anywhere on the internet, I found the part number once on this forum from the dealer but I haven't found it again. Anyone out there that has some info on it please let me know, also I was wondering if anyone has found a full Metal head gasket. I've had this truck for about 6 months and its been a trooper I drive it for work about 200 miles a day. Popped a new head gasket on it when I first got it but failed to change the head bolts because I couldn't find them and didn't have time to go to the dealer. Thanks again for anyone that helps me out.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The forum advised me that the original head bolts are okay to re-use, and was also advised to re-torque them after 500 miles. In fact, some recommended NOT getting new head bolts because the metal used in new bolts is inferior.

I bought a Fel-Pro head gasket set and it seems to be just fine, the head gasket was metal.

Welcome to the forum.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Last time I popped the head off and put it back on I could feel the bolt stretch while I was torquing it down. I really feel like a need some new bolts my head blew for no reason it didn't overheat I have had no problems latley I felt that my truck was running weak, also notice antifreeze was missing. Radiator bubbles a little. Did a compression test got 60-90psi accross each cylinder. My head gasket is only 10,000 miles old 5 months. It's a felpro. I was wondering if anyone else had issues after they changed there head, now another thing I didn't do is take the head to get checked make sure it's not warped. I think I'm going to do that this time.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...yeah, it's a PITA to send a head off to get checked over but a necessary evil. Your compression is too low so there's definitely something up. If your plugs look squeaky clean then coolant must be making it's way into the combustion chambers. You have to get a good seal on a head gasket or it will all be for naught.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Well, I own a 1986 2.0 and have never changed out my head bolts, ever, and I have removed my engines head at least 6-12 times in over 26 years and never has it been for a head gasket only. You will read others comments that have replaced their bolts with those use once throw away bolts that are very expensive, but they are not really needed IMO. If your feeling the bolts stretch, your imagining it. What your feeling is the head gasket squishing to form to the block and head. To make a stock head bolt stretch at a max torque for our heads is almost impossible. They are heat treated and strong and would rip the threads out if anything.
    What you may of failed to do is had the head resurfaced, but more important then that is re-torqued the head after about 500 miles. This is extremely important for aluminum heads on a steel cast block in addition to a truck that is notorious for head gasket problems. Remember Re-Torque and do a rocker adjustment also at the same time if they are adjustable.
    Your getting 60-90 across the board sounds suspiciously strange as well because usually a head gasket will not cause low compression across all cylinders. It will usually kill one cylinder compression and maybe 2. When you remove your head again, look very very close at your head for cracks. Usually between valves or MCA jet valves to a valve.

Sorry Roy, I didn't realize you wrote almost the same thing I did just now. Your comment was under the top edge of screen when I realized your posting was there.
    Last edited by BradMph; 09-04-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Sorry Roy, I didn't realize you wrote almost the same thing I did just now.
    Not a problem. Often a different wording of the same idea works better for some people.

I was also very careful to clean the head bolt holes out real good so no gunk, oil or water remained in them.

I'm not sure I don't face the same problem on my own 4G64, in regards to not having had the head re-surfaced. "Roy's Garage" is full of my mis-adventures with the truck, inluding ill-conceived ideas as to how to fix it. I'm not concerned: the condition isn't critical right now, and sometime in the future I'll re-do the whole operation with the knowledge I gained from the first time around.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah I know it is very strange my condition. Reason I say my bolts may have stretched is when I was torquing some of them down my torque wrench would not click and I know it's not a faulty torque wrench. It could be the thread coming out I hope not. Yeah my spark plugs are clean but I changed them recently doing a lazy man's diagnostics lol. When I pop the head off if I find anything I'll keep you posted post some pictures.

Array
    Status
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Found out the head was warped and crank shaft woodruff key was broken along with the crank shaft sprocket and balance shaft drive sprocket