Thread: Not sure if my problem is suspension or engine. Help please!

Array
    Status
    Falls Mills Va
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Not sure if my problem is suspension or engine. Help please!

Ok so I've got a 90 ram 50 4x4. Finally got it to run and after a few hundred miles noticed an oil leak. I got under it and looked and the oil pan has sat down on the front diff. I changed the motor mounts and had very little change. This truck sat out in the woods for at least 3 years before I got it. I'm not real familiar with suspensions so that's why I'm here. Torsion bars need cranked up or replaced? Or here's my next question. I have no idea what has or has not been done to the truck before me. I was told the bolt pattern on my pan was not for a 90 2.4. So where do I start?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I know this is clutching but is there anything else out of the ordinary with the engine (do the engine numbers match which will indicate it had a swap) This should be a '6 bolt' engine which refers to the number of bolts holding the flywheel on - there is an easy way to determine this other than pull the engine out as the front of the oil pan has a curved contour on a '7 bolt' engine. I don't know if there is a difference with oil pans between 6 and 7 bolt. I think something else like the torsion bars (most likely) or a failed trans mount somewhere is the culprit. Can't say I have heard of torsion bars that have fatigued so badly the front axle is able to make contact with the engine sump. Obviously don't drive it (and I'd be on the look out for a replacement pan)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    If you become a donator, 10 bucks is enough, you can access the manuals section. IDK about the 2nd gen manuals but there is a 1st gen one and the second chapter I think it is, is suspension with diagrams. If nothing else you can learn the names of the parts to ask about.
    Edit- Haynes and Chilton's manuals really only work for minor things. You want a factory service manual or access to one. You can also check your local library, they will have the haynes and chilton and might have a FSM or may be able to borrow one if they can find another library in their network with one.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-02-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I concur that it's more likely sagging/perished motor/trans mounts, rather than anything to do with suspension.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Manual section is open to every member.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It should not be sitting on the DIF. You can get new bars and that will bring it back up. IF they have sagged down. You can try cranking them up but it will make the ride harsh. Look in the manuals and find the distance to measure frame to axle. You should have about 3 inches or more between the bump stops and axle. If the bump stops are missing that can cause an impact to the pan.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Manual section is open to every member.

my bad

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    There are a few mounts that support the front axle center section, you may check those out too to make sure that they aren't completely destroyed. There should be one on the front diff that connects it to a cross member, and then there should be two arms that mount on either side of the center section of the front axle and connect to the front of the frame. There are two rubber bushings where those arms connect to the frame if memory serves. It may be worth checking the condition of those.

Array
    Status
    Falls Mills Va
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thank you guys. I had forgotten I had posted this. I've cranked the bars to max and it's done very little for my problem. But I can tell a difference in the ride height. I've replaced both front shocks and motor mounts. And as for the mounts on the diff, can someone measure theirs and tell me how much gap there is under the diff mount?