Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B

Engine sputters then low power when A/T upshifts

I finally got my '88 Raider running. It's got the 4G54, jet valve elim kit and 4 speed overdrive trans. I have done almost everything on the TO DO list (including a drain and fill of the A/T) except replaced the thermostat, which I plan to do next week. It idles fine and I can rev over 3000 RPM in Park and Neutral with no hesitations or other issues. But, when I try to drive it sputters and sometimes dies when shifting from 1st to 2d. Any ideas on what the problem could be and what to check or do next?

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by DNK70 View Post
    I finally got my '88 Raider running. It's got the 4G54, jet valve elim kit and 4 speed overdrive trans. I have done almost everything on the TO DO list (including a drain and fill of the A/T) except replaced the thermostat, which I plan to do next week. It idles fine and I can rev over 3000 RPM in Park and Neutral with no hesitations or other issues. But, when I try to drive it sputters and sometimes dies when shifting from 1st to 2d. Any ideas on what the problem could be and what to check or do next?
    A little more specific on what happens. It will accelerate slowly in first then when it shifts to second, it backfires (not a loud band, more of a loud puff/pop out of the carb), sputters, power drops off near idle (sometimes dies) and won't acclerate hardly at all, if I back off the gas and add it again slowly I can usually get it up between 1500-2000, but that's it. If I try to give it more gas after that it starts to pop and sputter again.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check the basics first. Look at your ignition/distributor set up. What the coil is like, how the timing is set. Check for vacuum leaks. This is a process of elimination so it might be a while before you find the culprit (especially if you've had it all apart and have just got it back together)

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    New coil, plugs, wires, rotor, cap and timing at 5 degrees BTDC. I haven't found any vac leaks YET, but we all know that doesn't mean there aren't any. I did a power braking test (put it in drive with the brake on and tried to rev it), but it wouldn't get past 2,000 RPM. I think that most likely rules out a transmission problem (fluid was clean and pink too). It has a "Weber" carb (really a Solex 34) and after watching the awesome video Brad posted, I went back and did the initial carb setup. I had to back the idle mixture screw out almost 4 turns to get best idle which is around 1100 RPM, and only had one turn in on the idle speed screw. So I think I might have an idle jet that is too small. I took the top of the carb off, sprayed everything liberally with carb cleaner and removed all the jets and air correctors to give them a good bath. Didn't see any obstructions, but they were dirty. I have all the numbers now, so I plan to give the tech guys at Weber Carbs Direct a call tomorrow (if they aren't off for Labor Day) and see what they say. After I put it back together, I'll give it the Seafoam treatment and maybe a hillbilly tune up and see how it goes. I'll post an update after all that.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    And I'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow to check them too.