Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Idea for a sticky...

Just a thought.

I have yet to really drive my lil ram but will be going with a rebuilt trans. Although my engine seemed to run fine (ofcourse what very little I did drive it) I do have another 2.6L I pulled from my parts truck that I can start fooling with. So I am thinking why not start building it up and hopefully it be done before I actually need it. This would be a good piece of mind. Although a v8 swap would be cool I would really like to run the 2.6L as I am sure it will fit my needs just fine (that and mine is a 4x4 so would be way more of a build then what I would want to tackle at the moment)..

There is alot of good info here but it would be handy if it was in 1 spot. I'm fairly sure there is a limit (without going nuts) for each of these engines. I'm talking throwing a head on it, caming it up, adding a header, carb and maybe ignition (Im thinking not many parts are available to strengthen the bottom end). maybe what specific part to use and places to get them. This would or should limit people from asking the same questions over again. Also if there are members that have done (succesfully) and willing to do such things as porting and cleaning up heads. Not everyone has the tools, knowledge and time to perform some of these tasks.

I am curious to the performance of a 2.6L that has a ported head, camed up with a header and 38 weber. What kind of hwy milage you could look for and how big of a tire you could realisticly use (big tires are useless unless you can spin them to clean em out).

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    many years ago a guy named John Baker raced these trucks and sold a hop up set of parts using the Mikuni muscle cam, Doug Thorley Tri - y header, and your choice of 3 different carb setups - 32/36 and 38 Webers and dual 44MM sidedraft Mikunis (weber dcoe workalike). With the 38 dges, cam and header was good for about 140 hp to the wheels, dual 44s was 160 hp. With a ported head, add about 20 hp. To help with the large tires, a gear change to 4.22 or 4.63s are in order. If you are real lucky, you might find a set of ultra rare 4.97s that Baker sold back in the day. Your mileage will vary...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980