Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Painting flexible parts or clear over decals

A guy I ran across that builds 2nd gen transams gave me this tip yall may not know about. He uses bull dog adhesion promoter to paint flexible parts and also adds it to the clear so he can clear over all the trans am decals including the hood bird. Has been using it for years and says he has had no problems with the clear lifting on or around any of the decals. If it adhears to the hood bird on a 2nd gen trans am without any issues I cant imagine it having issues much else as the hood bird is huge.

http://www.eastwood.com/bulldog-low-...RCCODE=1SE1532

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    never heard of adding adhesion promotor into the clear to paint over vinyl decals, but have been using adhesion promotor on plastics for years. Not sure about painting over decals like that - over time the vinyl will outgas and bubble the clear.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah most of my good friends are body men and told me the only way to achieve clear over the birds and letters ( I dont want to be able feel them as I run my hands across) is to paint all the birds and letters on, that is until I met this guy. He is (alteast was last time I talked to him) in AZ and claimed to have a hood painted and left outside in the elements for a few years before he used it on a build.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If he lives in AZ and left anything outside for a few years I would think it would of melted. AZ is a place that people are cooked alive. The one thing about the sun ultra violet light beating down on a decal is the printing that will tend to fade, especially red. Vinyl decals could be made to last, but it is always the printing on the product that fails due to the suns radiation. Paint would be the ultimate choice and using a stencil and airbrush would turn out pretty nice if you know how to use the brush. I think if I owned a TransAm and wanted to duplicate the bird on the hood, I would create my own design of the bird and place it on with some originality.