Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B

Rocker Shaft Removal

Okay both of my rocker arm shafts are broken and I will have to install a serviceable pair. The service manual makes it sound likee you can just slip the end caps and cam caps off. This is not the case in reality. What is the approved solution for removing taking these things apart so I can replace the rocker shafts. A few good whacks with a dead blow on the end caps or am I going to need a shop press?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The caps sort of get crushed onto the rocker rails when the mounting bolts are torqued up. You can try gently applying heat to them to make the caps expand and loosen off, and use a spray lube/oil to avoid the rocker rails from getting scarred up when attempting to slide them off. Believe me, they don't want to come apart in a hurry and it is very easy to damage the rocker rails if you aren't careful. Tapping them off lightly with a hammer would be one of the only ways to get the apart.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Geezer. This is turning into a real PITA. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster last night and will attempt disassembly later today. I think I'll go get a hard wood dowel to help in this process.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    DNK70, sorry to hear about your truck engine. I have yet to hear about both rocker shafts being broken at same time.
    If you haven't yet checked our manuals section thread, please do. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info
    This is a great source for literature if you only have a printed manual at home. You may find other information to help you in your repairs.
    Don't feel shy about asking questions here in the forum, we do our best and have probably over a thousand years of experience here, lol.

Welcome to the forum