Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B

Auto lash adjuster tool

I'm planning to install my jet valve eliminators tomorrow. Looks like I need to remove the rocker arm assembly to get at the valves. The service manual shows a tool that looks like a c clip that holds the lash adjusters in place while the head is off. Are those a must? Is there a suitable substitute for that tool so my adjusters don't go clunking on the ground?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    When I took my rockers off they didn't fall out, plenty of sticky oil kept them in place till I turned the assy upside down.

if you're really worried slip some electrical tape in there (rotate the engine to get the pressure off the valves, see manual valve lash adjustment procedure)
    and wrap it around the rocker to hold it in place... you might want to clean them while they're out to prevent the dreaded cold engine lifter tick...:-)

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Mike. Looks like that was a non issue. Although the FSM shows that I'm supposed to have these, the adjusters on the rocker arms were mechanical. The bigger issue was the broken rocker arm retaining bolts on either side of the #3 exhaust valve. Looking for advice on that now. Please see my other post.

Array
    Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Correction. The broken bolts were on either side of the #3 INTAKE valve rocker arm, not the exhaust valve.