Thread: The Fear Monger

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    On-line LIVE FIRE of the Fear Monger. The date is, 2-2-13 3:00 Pm Pacific times. THE PARTY STARTS AT NOON. LIVE INSIDE the shop. Bandwidth may be limited to 15 connections. Members are invited so if you need directions to Area 51, please send me a PM and we can grant you access. Beer, soda, music, and TRUCKS...
    Weather on 2-2-13 @ 12:00 Pm for the party, will be mostly sunny with a High around 62 at the time of the start up 3PM.

Here is a nice model for you to take a look at.
    Last edited by camoit; 08-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

Well the first of the videos have started to leek out of Area 51 and find there way on to the net. The sound on here isn't the best. I'm sure there will be more to come.

Over all the start up went well. But there are some minor things that need to be worked out. Like the E Brake cable was too close to the exhaust and melted. In the video you see my expression change when I try to move it forward. So that needs to be replaces as it is locked in the tube. Oh well it was short as it was. Then the floor got so hot you could not touch it, where the headers weren't wrapped. Then the carb needs a major tuning. Falls on it's face at half throttle when hit hard.

Last edited by camoit; 02-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Lawton, OK
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Awsome! Sounds good too! Cant wait to see it in action!

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Over all the start up went well. But there are some minor things that need to be worked out. Like the E Brake cable was too close to the exhaust and melted. In the video you see my expression change when I try to move it forward. So that needs to be replaces as it is locked in the tube. Oh well it was short as it was. Then the floor got so hot you could not touch it, where the headers weren't wrapped. Then the carb needs a major tuning. Falls on it's face at half throttle when hit hard.
    brake cable can be fixed.. part of da problem w/ ur carb i think its cuz its a Edelbrock. lol jk

btw, still tryin 2 figure out a way to get da vids. uploaded from this BB to my laptop...damn, i miss my Android.
    in da meantime, a quick shot I took of da beast right before the first spin around da block...and we had nice weather too!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    So cool. Congratulations.

How many hours do you estimate you put into it?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    WHoa!, very nice job. Just located this page and I must of been under a rock for a month. I can see that gleem in your eyes as that beast is running in the video. It looks like a big RC dirt track truck, lol. The body was a great decision and looks perfect. Be sure on your maiden voyage, you call a priest up and have him bless it for you. Excellent Job!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    The body was a great decision and looks perfect. Excellent Job!

Thanks. It's all one of a kind body. It was built just for the D50's. The hole thing is a 1 of a kind build. My insurance company is having a hard time finding someone that will insure it. But I have faith in them. Pl & PD is no problem but collision and compressive is a hole other problem.

Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    How many hours do you estimate you put into it?

There is no telling how many hours. I will get a time clock before I start the next one so I can keep track of the time. It took 3 years to get it to this point, and now it's POO again. (Parts On Order) The new MSD distributer is picking up too much noise and cross firing. Mallory keeps sending me a vacuum advance unit. This makes 2 so far. So I hope the third time is the charm. But on a good note I did get my custom length parking brake cable. Now it's 3.5 inch longer so it is clear of the headers and coolant pipes. The header made the floor so hot you could not touch it. So it got a layer of insulation over the merge of the headers. Once this thing gets done and I can drive it. It will go back up to DGHeaders so he can finish the hearers. Nothing like a 2 year delay in a job. But he new it was going to happen when I took it to him way back then. i need to go pick up some red paint for the striping that will go on it.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    i need to go pick up some red paint for the striping that will go on it.
    try PC .. Paint City on Watt Ave still in business? I've gotten paint from them a few years ago and it was good quality..

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    One Shot or Ronan sign paint for the striping.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Camo, what's up with the "blue tag" or constructor plate on your truck? How is it titled and what VIN did you get for the purposes of smog? Is it street legal or off road only?

I'm asking because I want to swap my '89 cab and bed onto an '85 4D55 frame and driveline. I wonder what I would do about the VIN plates. I'd obviously want to keep it titled as an '85 the diesel is smog exempt. I've heard the VIN follows the frame, not the body. Do you know anything about this? Did you have to talk to the Chippies or VIN verification service after your saga at the DMV?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Camo, what's up with the "blue tag" or constructor plate on your truck? How is it titled and what VIN did you get for the purposes of smog? Is it street legal or off road only?

I'm asking because I want to swap my '89 cab and bed onto an '85 4D55 frame and driveline. I wonder what I would do about the VIN plates. I'd obviously want to keep it titled as an '85 the diesel is smog exempt. I've heard the VIN follows the frame, not the body. Do you know anything about this? Did you have to talk to the Chippies or VIN verification service after your saga at the DMV?
    You have 4 ways of going.
    #1 is to just swap out the engine. Then all you would need to do is go to the SMOG referee and they will change the info on the registration. But thats going from a newer truck to an older engine, unless it was an engine that was used in that production year. I'm not sure. You would need to contact the SMOG people and ask them.
    #2 is to swap out the cab like you are talking about. Then you will need to have a VIN assignment by the CHP. They will want all the paper work from both trucks. The truck has a VIN on the cab, dash, and on the frame in the left rear wheel well.
    #3 Do the swap and go to the referee and they might not look at the frame. Then it is done, but always keep the paperwork on the frame, just in case.
    #4 swap it over including the plates and hope the referee doesn't look to hard at things. But keep all the paperwork. But this could get messy if they figure it out.

On my truck it fall under the SPCNS, or at least thats what I'm working at. I was able to convince the DMV thats what it was. Just because it's made of so many different things. Nissan Extera. (front frame, 2 foot of it) Isuzu Rodeo rear end, D50 cab and doors, Chevy V6, Camaro 6 speed trany, So they look at it as if it is a new car with out a VIN except there is a mile long paper trail of where the parts come from. Tow yard on the engine and trans, even though the trans came from "other sources" the paper work said engine and trans. The frame and rear end from a recyclers. Cab, doors, parking brake lever and fuel pedal from the truck I junked out for the build. The main body is one of a kind hand made fiberglass. When it's all done it will be street legal, but just enough to look that way when they see me. I expect them to stop me every time I take it out. Thats a given.. I'm sure they will.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    ...When it's all done it will be street legal, but just enough to look that way when they see me. I expect them to stop me every time I take it out. Thats a given.. I'm sure they will.
    best believe. LOL especially if u roll down Madison. and even Auburn has a lot of heat lately, idk whats up with that area. oh plz DO have ur GoPro set up and catch it on tape when it does happen

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    After much debate I finally decided on just a 2 tone paint job. I was thinking about doing a red stripe between the two of them, along with a multitude of other things.
    Well any way here are some of the Pict's of the paint going on.

DSCN4838.JPG DSCN4829.JPG
    DSCN4831.JPG

Since it was painted with out any body parts on it the lines were pretty close even for not having any parts on the truck. Now that the body is done we can finish out the paint. So he started by straighting out the lines and then squaring up the rear of the bed sides. Then we added a little blue fancy point to the hood just to break up the silver and add one more line. As if there was not enough lines and other things going on with it already.

DSCN4924.JPG

Now everything lines up nicely. I want to get this thing done so bad I can taste it. But I'm still finishing up getting the right spring set up for the truck.
    Last edited by camoit; 06-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Time for some cam talk. After starting the engine it sounded like it was stock and took 30 degrees of initial timing to start it. That was way to much, should only be 18 or so with 210 LB of cranking pressure thats a lot,,. Well I sent the cam back to Comp Cams they checked it and it was what they said it was what they said it was just like it was quoted on the cam card. So I sent it to the cam doctor for a second look. They came back with the same thing. Something is not adding up.

CLICK HERE for Cam Card

110 lobe seperation.

350 lobe lift.

106 intake center line.

valve timing
    intake @ 0.006 lift
    Opening 34 BTDC
    Closes 66 ABDC

Exhaust @ 0.006 lift
    opening 74 BBDC
    closing 26 ATDC

-------------------------------------------

Now here is the problem.
    With a 4 and 6 degree retard button on the cam I get the fallowing specs.

4 deg retarded button = 4 deg of advance
    intake center line.
    147------------ 106.5

intake
    opening
    @ .006----------29 BTDC diferance 5 deg
    @ .050---------- 3 BTDC
    closing
    @ 0.006------- 69 ABDC diferance 3 deg
    @ 0.050-------38 ABDC

Exaust
    opening
    @ .006---------- 72 diferance 4 deg
    @ .050---------- 45
    closing
    @ 0.006------- 31 ATDC diferance 5 deg
    @ 0.050------- 0 TDC

-----------------------------------------------------

6 deg button retarded = 0 deg of advance
    intake center line.
    150 ------------110.5
    intake

opening
    @ .006----------29 BTDC diferance 5 deg
    @ .050----------1 BTDC
    closing
    @ 0.006-------73 ABDC diferance 7 deg
    @ 0.050-------42 ABDC

Exaust

opening
    @ .006----------69 BBDC diferance 5
    @ .050----------42 BBDC
    closing
    @ 0.006-------34 ATDC diferance 8
    @ 0.050-------3 ATDC
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Not sure if these can help.
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/camcalc.php Camshaft Calculator
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/cam-deg-calc.php Cam Degree Calculator
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php Camshaft Overlap Calculator
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-cam.phpCalculate Over Lap and Lobe Separation Angle

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

40 Degree of initial advanced SOLVED

OK so here is what has been going on since the day of the start up. Day 1 Did the break in that everyone has seen the video by now. Day 2 it would not start. Added in some advance to make it run. 1 week later now it's up to needing 28 degree of initial advance to start and run. Called MSD they sent pick up coils, caps rotors crap like that. Replaced the hole distributor with a Mallory Unilite optical unit, and said screw MSD. That took 4 weeks to get it all together. Then the new Mallory failed so they sent out a new pick up unit for it. It would get hot and stop working. New wires. Had many people come over check the cam timing and everything else you could think of. We could not get it to run under the 40 degrees. Pulled the cam and sent it back to Comp Cams it came back fine. Sent it to a 3rd party to recheck there numbers. They matched with in a degree or so. Replaced the gear drive with a double roller chain. Reset the cam degree, and today I started it. And you guessed it, 40 degree of advance just to make it run. WTF,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F, For those of you that were peeked in using the live cam feed on the first page, you saw me cussing and flinging tools all around. That's not a normal thing here on this truck.
    So back to square 1. Cam is good, timing is at 107 intake center line. That's 3 degrees of advance to the cam. That's spot on. WHAT THE HELL.... So for shits and giggles I asked my neighbor behind me if he had a old coil laying around. So he gave me this old coil from his Studebaker or 1934 Ford. IDK but it's old. Hooked it up and fired it up. There was a new loud squeak noise like something starting to seize up. NOW WHAT.. It made the noise 2 times. So I figured I would back off the timing to see where it would stall. $0, 35, 30, 25, now down to 18 where it started from all because the brand new MSD $125.95 coil shorted internally. So the moral of the story, DO NOT allow a high energy coil to accidentally spark with out having a wire on it going to ground or you will be in for a trouble shooting night mare.
    Now I think the trany is got a problem. There is a rattling noise from down there. IDK if it is a problem yet but I will find out soon enough when it takes a dump.

See even puppy's die new too.
    Last edited by camoit; 06-09-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    What the important part is, your finding the problems and doing well at it. Eventually your going to run out of problems and you and your truck can finally enjoy.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Damn it Camoit your luck is almost as bad if not worse then mine. Blew up my Holley Blue fuel pump on Tuesday (110gph), replaced it with a Mr.Gasket 35gph and thing runs better then with the Holley. Friday night I thought I blew a fuse to my air pump, checked it out when I got home and saw the relay was melted.Replaced the relay and turned the truck on........ SMOKE!!!!!!!! Fried the new relay and melted the + wire into the compressor. Saterday took it apart and found the stater burnt and the wires melted. Took my original compressor and put the piston and head from the "new" compressor on the old motor. Did some checking and found out that the Viair compressor I ordered was a cheap 50% duty cycle clone, so ordered a true Viair 380C (200psi 100% duty) from Summit and should be here in a week or 2. Got to get a hold of the credit card company and tell them I was sold a ripoff copy of the compressor and the company advertized it as a "True" Viair not a clone.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    "See even puppy's die new too." only when they use GM products. Sorry *****, Could not resist you know I been biting my tongue for awhile. Great job, Glad to finally see it move too bad about the bad coil. Just like a whore with a bloody nose if aint one thing its another. You will get it all figured out.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    But it was an MSD part. The only GM left on this thing is the block, crank, rods and heads. And that was pushing it. I almost went with other heads. Once I get in my new carb riser I can start to tune it. I could only find 1 builder of spread bore aluminum spacers. But like everything else I have used it will need machine work before it's ready.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That's why they call it "Blue Printing" right! Everything custom one off, but just don't ask me to repeat the results!! LOL

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

The First Car Show.

So I figured since there was a car show not to far from the house this weekend I would put the Fear Monger in it, just to see how the car show circuit people would react to it. Every car show says our trucks are not "classic" cars. There not "Muscle" cars. As far as I can find there consisted "New Production" or "Mid Year" cars. What ever that is. So we start out behind the 8 ball during a standard show. The show I was in today I was put in the same class as any car that was not "stock" That covered nearly 75% of them.
    There were 2 clubs there and I figured there was no chance for my truck. But low and behold I came in second after the best of show for the modified class. (seen below)

Some how I beat the odds and pulled out a "Best In Class" win. It was not that big of a show for there 1st annual, but it was cool. I was the only car where I had people jump on the bumpers to run it through the suspension travel. It was funny to here people reaction when 3 guys would pump it up and down. Everything from OMG to is that going to hurt it. lol..

So here are some of the cars I was up against
    Best in show left, and seccond in class.

DSCN4947.jpg DSCN4946.jpg

Last edited by camoit; 08-17-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    It's all about the purple springs.........

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    HAHA, nice man.

Is hard to put a truck, particularly a race-type or utility-type truck, in a show. Just no good category for them, if it's not a "classic" or a "resto-mod"...then it gets lost. Hell, in my own opinion, that beast looks out of its element!! (still bitchin lookin, though)

Got a nice shiny to put on the wall for the thousands you spent now. Congrats!

Have to agree with Fordubishi...musta been those purple springs.

Edit: Million dollar question- Drive it or trailer it?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I guess now it's a real Trophy Truck. lol
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast