Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

new guy here

Hello yall new to the forum and was wanting to say hay. Just went and picked up a 86 ram50 4x4 tonight. Has cancer on the lower fenders, rockers and some in the bed (suprisingly not wheel wells) but what do you expect out of a 28yr old truck?. throw out bearing is bad and makes a heck of a racket but clutch kit is cheap. I payed $800 for it with 1007k on the ticker (sure its not totally correct) but engine seems to run quite well.

I got the truck cheap (atleast I hope the throwout bearing is the only problem, test drive was short) so I am not against dumping a lil money in it. Not having much luck finding fenders or rockers (assume I will have to patch the bed). Its duty will not be show truck, more like daily driver and hunting wagon but I would like to get rid of the rust. My plan is to fix the issues and use a higly scratch resistant bed liner/ under coat to paint it (used it on a utility trailer and works well). The truck will be used but not abused (to bad anyway). Later on I will be in the market for a light bar and push bumper (havent had much luck there either) and maybe a mild lift. If anyone can help with were to find these items it would be greatly appreciated

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum kswildcat. They are prone to rust in the places you've experienced (it's typical of a most cars). The 1007k on the clock? That makes it 1,007,000 miles (that is freaking massive!) so I guess you meant 107,000/100,700 miles. It's possible - my L200 has only 180,000 kms on the clock in 29 years but it has had a rough life... Figuring out what engine is in it is easy enough. The astron engine (4G52/4G54)is chain driven and has an alloy timing cover (they came in 2 litre and 2.6 but are more commonly 2.6) and G63B which is a belt driven 2 litre engine (plastic timing cover).

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I ment 107k but I seriously doubt it. Pulled the trans and trasfer case to find I have transmission problems not clutch problems. I assume I have the 4G54 engine as it is a 2.6 with alloy cover.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    ebay has tranny rebuild kits for the tranny for under $200 - betting it is the main input bearing that bought the farm. Welcome to the forum - we need pics - condition not important.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here is a couple pics of what appears to be my new money pit..lol. Just kidding I think once I get this transmission thing figured out I will have a dependable truck. I have plenty time to pack the front wheel bearings and change all the fluids while waiting for transmission parts..lol
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Cars and girls dude...(or in this case mini trucks ) It looks tough kswildcat. The fenders might be salvaged with some welded in patches, no biggie. These things can take a beating, go forever and are easy to enough to work on. They get a bad rep from monkeys that think they don't need things like 'servicing', 'timing belts/chains' and 'coolant' and wonder why they the roll to the side of the road dead (heaps of junk them Mitsubishis!)

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I kinda lost my way there for a little while. Started paying payments on a $42k dodge ram 3 yrs ago that mostly just sit because I really dont go anywere. Once in awhile I would search for transam parts on the net and was shocked to see they are FINALLY making the parts I need to make life a hole lot easier to fix up my 78 transam that Ive had for like 22 yrs. So needles to say the big payment is gone, bought a lil gmc sonoma cheap thats in pretty good shape but need something 4wd. Ive always wanted one of these lil pickups and I thought I found a pretty decent deal so I jumped on it. I am pretty stubburn and bull headed so eventually I will have it the way I want it. It wont be a show truck unless there is a redneck car show. I plan to use the truck for hunting and what not so once I get it running good and rust fixed it will be painted flat black undercoating so I dont have to worry about scratches and it should look cool to boot..lol