Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

86 2.6 4x4.. goofy as heck transmission

Ok I bought a 86 ram50 2.6 (chain) 4x4 and thought throw out bearing was bad. I pulled the transmission and transfer case at the same time to find what appears to be a somewhat new clutch and pressure plate (inspection sticker still on the inside fingers of the pressure plate). Not even sure if you can or would want to break the transfer case off the transmission in the truck.

My problem is this. Ive NEVER seen a set up like this were both the transmission shifter and transfer case shifter is built into transfer case (never even seen were the transfer case shifter is built in). NOWAY am I going to try to break them apart without a manual and dont really want to smoke anymore money away on it if parts are not available to fix it. When I bought it it would go in all gears and all 4x4 gears and move. Before I pulled it into the shop I pulled over to trash pile to unload all the trash that was in the bed and when I went to take off 1st and 2nd did not work. There is quit a bit of slop in the front shaft once I got it out.

So my question is does anybody know were to get internal transmission parts? I do not want to put a salvage transmission in it even if I could find one. Im not afraid to fix it if I can because I like the way it looks but Im not much into throwing money away on a manual I will never use. Any help would be much appreciated

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok I found some bearing and sync kits, input shafts and 5th gear but no gears between 1 and 4.. I drove the truck maybe 100 yards to the trash pile and left it idle while cleaning the bed then when I got back in it to pull into the shop 1st and 2nd did not work. It appeared to shift into both but would not move. I really dont see just sitting there at idle wipe out 2 gears so its my thinking MAYBE I am not as bad off as I originally thought. I know some have you have dug into these transmissions and most likely have a great idea of what my problem is..

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If you need access to repair manuals or shop manuals for your vehicle, they are available on the forum for free and download.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info

Responses to your questions usually take between 24 to 48 hours so don't get discouraged if you don't get an answer right away. We have a knowledgeable and experienced crew here and they all are very helpful to give their advise.

Welcome to the forum too!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    sounds like the fork for the 1-2 gears quit working or broke - also could be that the internal linkage is way out of adjustment. The manual will help with that. I see you found rebuild kits for this tranny - front input shaft bearings are a common fail on these trannies. The reason both shifters appear to be in the transfer case is that the 2wd and 4wd trannies are the same - the tailshaft for the 2wd is replaced with the transfer case housing, so the length is about the same. You can also use a starquest tranny - these trannies are built heavier to withstand the power of the turbo 2.6 motors they run.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the help and welcome. I havent been into a tranny in 15 yrs and never seen anything like this so wasnt going to remove 1 bolt without a manual. With any luck my gears are still good and this wont be that hard of a fix. Keep yall posted, wish me luck..lol.... Thanks again

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Brad that 74 celica you had looked pretty sweet. 1 of my first cars was a 73 celica that had been rolled and was a dog house before my cousins husband rebuilt the engine and later sold it to my mom who later sold it to me. The car was a tank. I tried like hell to tear it up and it ran when I parked it. It was in the air on a regular basis as well as on the river trail for dirt bikes. Primer and huge chunks of bondo out of the roof and I was young and dumb and parked it and bought something that actually had paint on it. Mom had salvage yard pick it up after a yr of sitting, a few yrs later my gf at the time finally found out what salvage yard and went to buy it for me. They wouldnt sell it because they ripped the trunk lid off and used it for a toolbox.. Damn I loved that car and miss it very much

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I cannot get those manuals to work on of my pc's. 1 wont even bring them up and the other downloads but I cant unzip (extract) either the engine or transmission files

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok finally got the manual on my computer. After the race going to go tear it apart and see what I have. Lots of itty bitty parts it looks like so I will be stopping by the grocery store for some ziplock bags so I can keep track of them and mark them as I go.lol Wish me luck..lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by kswildcat View Post
    I cannot get those manuals to work on of my pc's. 1 wont even bring them up and the other downloads but I cant unzip (extract) either the engine or transmission files

Use winRAR to unzip. There is a link in the link section to a free one on the server.
    As for downloading them some times my server gets pretty busy. I only keep a limited amount of conections open for downloading the files.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Got it figure out Camoit and thank you very much for posting those manuals.. I did get my transmission MOSTLY apart. I am having a heck of a time with the bearing race to the rear main shaft bearing, cant seem to get it off. Anyway I found my problem. My input shaft is shot. Suprisingly my idle shaft doesnt look bad at all. The gear on the idle shaft that meshes with the input shaft doesnt look perfect but no broken teeth or nothing.

If anybody knows a trick to getting this race to the rear main shaft bearing I would sure like to hear it..lol
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oooooh, that is nasty dude. I think the bearing needs to be heated while in a hydraulic press so the shaft will push through. Might be better off finding another gearbox with a blown gear and tear it down for parts.

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    . The pic is of input shaft. It will need a different shaft for sure. May have found my first parts truck. 83 4x4 with a diesel... Im pretty sure the transmission is the same and it is supposeable good I guess the Diesel engine is tired and dont start right. Would store it for later maybe... I would also get 2 good front feneders and what I would need to fix the other rust spots. Not sure I will get it though as the owner isnt for sure he wants to sell.. If I do get it I will be sure to post and to see if someone else needs something off of it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the internals of the tranny are the same, but the bell housing is not. 2wd 5spd trannies are all the same for truck 2.6 and starquests - later starquest trannies have stronger shafts and bearings forthepower of the turbo motors.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I did get a 2wd truck givin to me (the price was right, just have to make a pickup bed trailer out of it). So anyways I got my fenders but still out a transmission as the 2wd has a longer main shaft then the 4wd. I assume the rest of the transmission is the same. I will have to find a different route as I ran out of weekends and have been working late during the week. Was hoping to get the thing running before corn harvest but doesnt appear I will have time. This was going to be my get me to and from work in the snow truck. By the time corn, soybeans and milo are cut it will done be winter. I guess I will have to get a reman, I might be able to find the time to install it..lol

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok scratch my previous post as I re-read mopar_ja's km145 thread.... Looks like a reman transmission is diff in my future.. Im just glad I didnt spend any money on the 2wd transmission. I did get alot of good parts off the 2wd parts truck though

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Called 2 sorta local transmission shops today to get a price of a reman transmission (always try to keep my money local if I can). One didnt bother calling me back and the other gave me a quote of 2 grand for a transmission... I'm thinking he either didnt want to mess with it or he thinks I have some sort of pro mod fire breathing engine to bolt it behind..lol

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok. I now have a fresh rebuilt transmission sitting in the shop waiting to be installed.. I am in corn harvest so busier then a bull that just got dropped in a pasture full of cows in heat so it will have to wait..

Pretty stoked as after quick inspection looks good and should be no problems.. REALLY stoked as a local transmission shop quoted me 2 grand (still think he is on crack) to rebuild one and the other shop I called never returned my phone call (guess they dont like money).. Also looked at a few other options online and found anywere from $1,200 and up.

Thru a search online I stumbled across a place in CA that had one in stock but did not have the funds at the time. By the time I did it was gone (was kinda shocked really).. Contacted them and spoke to George, he assured me no problems in having one to me in 2 or 3 weeks.. 2 weeks to the day I it arrived.. $750 total (didnt send him a core). So far very impressed with these guys and time will tell on their workmanship but tranny looks great.. If you have any tranny or transfer case needs ya might wanna get in touch with them

http://www.karking.com/

Array
    Status
    Phoenix Az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

km145 input shaft

I've had good luck with Merlin. You can contact him directly through his email mmerlinn@myway.com
    Attached Images