Array
    Status
    raleigh nc
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Manual Transmission Help

I have a 1992 Mighty Max 3.0V6 4X4. I was mudding and it got stuck. Tried to wrestle it out. Started smelling what I think was burnt rubber. Everything seemed fine until I was out for a little while. Clutch would go all the way to the floor with no resistance and was unable to shift into any gear. Not sure where to start. Fluids appear full. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    clutch cable ?

Array
    Status
    Lake Havasu City,AZ
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My bad you've got the hyd clutch

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Sounds like you smoked the clutch lol

Array
    Status
    raleigh nc
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    This is the first manual transmission I have ever had. I really like this little truck and want to get it up and going again. So you guys think I should just start with replacing the clutch? I bought the truck from a friend and he doesn't remember when the clutch was replaced. If so, what kind of a headache am I looking at to do it myself, and also price?

Array
    Status
    raleigh nc
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the input by the way. Being new I wasn't sure how much help I would get.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Pulling the clutch out of most cars is a PITA but you will get more out of it by tackling the job yourself. I'd be hunting down a clutch kit with a higher load rated pressure plate if you're going to be working your truck hard. You may need to have your flywheel machined too depending on what the truck has already been put through. I would take a stab at this by saying this is an 'engine out' job. I'd think it would be easier than dropping the 4x4 transmission out from underneath it (haven't done a 4x4 myself but there will be plenty on site that would know the best route to take on this)

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    2X on smoked the clutch, that smell was the clutch frying!

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Just had my 91 MM 4x4 clutch replaced, picked up the the Exedy clutch from Amazon for just under $200. but had a shop do the install as it needed some other work as well. Shop time by the book is about 8 hours so you can use that to figure cost in your area. My flywheel needed to be resurfaced which was about $80. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, I have been told it is much easier with a helper throughout. Good luck which ever way you go!
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Had mine in and out several times with a frame swap and then putting a rebuilt tranny in, no big deal just the trans is lopsided with the transfer case hanging off to the side. 1 guy and a jack to take it out and 2 guys to put it back in. Iwill never put a standard clutch kit back I as they slip too easy it seems, next time I will go heavy duty!

Array
    Status
    raleigh nc
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will be replacing a clutch, or attempting to.

Array
    Status
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Hi Blueline873, I have an '89 Ram 50 5 speed. One day at a stop sign I went to shift into first and there was nothing to the clutch...no resistance. I coasted out of the way and when I looked underneath I saw the arm that the clutch cable connects to had broken and was hanging there. The arm goes over the end of the shaft that the clutch fork is attached to. My truck is a 2WD 2.0 4 banger with a clutch cable but maybe your clutch fork arm is part of the issue. BTW...my local Dodge house showed NONE of those arms in stock anywhere in the USA so I had to weld the old one back together. That was 3 years ago and that's ONE thing that I haven't had any trouble out of.
    Good luck!