Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B

Low tech, D.I.Y. anti theft immobiliser

Anyone who has had the displeasure of finding their ride reduced to a vacant car park and wanted to make sure it wasn't happening again, but didn't have $500 for a remote immobiliser and alarm - I've got a low tech kill switch that will stop anyone from driving off to anywhere with your property again...(it should be noted that this immobiliser is designed for single coil pack ignition systems)

You will need a roll of black insulated electrical wire, a packet of crimp on ring/eyelet terminals, a soldering iron, a small toggle or push on/push off switch (the rating is irrelevant as this switch will not be bearing any current or voltage) and a roll of black electrical tape. Crimp on a ring/eyelet terminal onto one end of the wire and attach the ring/eyelet terminal to the negative terminal on the ignition coil . Run the wire with the rest of the ignition wiring loom back into the cabin and figure out where's a suitable location to conceal your 'kill' switch in the cabin.

Solder the wire you have laid from the coil to one terminal on the switch and then cut off another small length of wire and solder that to the other terminal on the switch to complete the switch as a circuit. Crimp one more eyelet to the short wire from the switch and screw it to a good point under the dash as an earth. Wind the electrical tape around the wire you ran with the existing factory wiring loom in the engine bay to conceal it. Secure the rest of the under dash wiring to prevent it from dropping out or making itself obvious and you're done. When the switch is activated it grounds out the ignition coil, preventing it from creating a spark and firing the engine. The engine will still turn over but won't start and it won't matter how many bypass wires are run, it will not start until the switch is deactivated. It works so well it will even stop you when you've forgotten that you've activated it! A rock solid engine immobilser for a few bucks and a half hour of your time (maybe more if you've stopped for beer o'clock)

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i ran the main fuel feed to a brass fuel switch (typically used to swop between fuel tanks on a boat ) located it under the driver seat (covered by a pair of gloves). my thought is the vehicle will be started without alot of thief damage & when it runs out of fuel (about 1 minute) the thief will abandon.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, that one works but they still get to drive it away. If the guy is a total a-hole he'll use a solid object to stop your truck rather than pulling over politely (more than likely your money and hard work is going for a one way joy ride anyway). I would be worried about the legality of having a fuel feed under the seat and also a potential safety risk if it leaked for some unfortunate reason (Mitsubishis don't have a reputation for spontaneously combusting - we'll leave that up to other manufacturers ) I ran this ignition kill switch and a disable switch to the electric fuel pump I was using, plus a steering wheel lock. The wheel lock slows them down, the kill switch works until they get lucky and find it but if they manage to get out of the driveway without taking a beating, they weren't going too far.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    if the vehicle is not "moved" then the law (typically) considers it vandalism only (had a friend with a honda civic & cuz they couldn't move it they took a sledge to the dash)....so my thought of allowing it to be moved is to create a "theft" situation which would carry a heftier crime....assuming they were cought.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    when its moved it is then grand theft auto - much higher crime. I have an old normark immobilizer that if turned on, lets it run for 15 seconds, then stalls, 2nd start 10 seconds, then it won't start at all. I never got around to installing it - still in package after 33 years.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980