Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hey! Check out this CamoRam.

IMG_20140724_165222483_HDR.jpgIMG_20140724_165236963.jpgIMG_20140724_165252740_HDR.jpgIMG_20140724_165302445.jpgIMG_20140724_165509507.jpgIMG_20140724_165208960.jpgHey How's it going? Thanks for having a forum like this. I've already found it to be a boatload of help and decided i should probably introduce myself since ill be using it more. I'm Matt 23, have had this truck about a year now and have had only minor problems with it, actually learned stick on it as well lol. but recently had a tranny problem, it got stuck in second and wouldn't shift out, figured it out after pulling the tranny it was just the little plastic cup at the bottom of the stick broke in half, and thanks to a helpful brad on here got the part number and am about to install it.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    should also mention am a total amateur mechanic and have only done basic stuff thus far. any advice or warnings are appreciated. also lol i bought atf+4 is this ok for my transmission? 3 quarts enough and do i just dump it in there and close it up or what? total noob here.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoRAM View Post
    atf+4 is this ok for my transmission? 3 quarts enough and do i just dump it in there and close it up or what? total noob here.
    Hey CamoRam...Virginians seem to out-number the other states, here.

If you mean "automatic transmission fluid +4" I don't advise it. The book calls for gear oil. What I did when I re-filled mine was to leave the fill plug out while adding gear oil from the gear shifter opening. It took almost two bottles (Lucas 85-95 weight) and I stopped adding when it came out the fill hole. This is AFTER the transmission is back in place and bolted to the frame.

Welcome to the forum, what took you so long to get here? Did you bring any donuts??

It's safe to assume from your photo that you have the 2.0 carborated engine. Check the I.D. plate on your firewall and it will tell you which engine it is...G63B or whatever. You'll find that helpful information.

Good luck with your spiffy truck! More photos!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi CamoRam, welcome to the forum. The camo paint job on your Ram is crazy! Did you get it looking like this or is it a D.I.Y? Looks like a lot of work went into it. Your question about the oil level in your transmission - there is a 'bolt' on the side of the gearbox housing. This is both the oil fill plug and the level check. With the transmission installed and the tailshaft yoke inserted into the rear of the extension housing (the truck being on level ground too!) fill the transmission with a sludge pump or something similar until the oil trickles back out of the filler hole (some bottles of transmission oil come with a tube that is almost useful lolol). It is an annoying job and can be messy if you try to rush it. The auto trans oil will be sufficient in your gearbox (I have heard of some guys using a heavier mineral oil and then discovering the transmission feels hard to shift during gear changes)

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I've come to highly respect Geezer101's insights and inputs on this forum. I'm not familiar with using ATF in these transmissions, though my F-150 uses it. If Geezer suggests it will do no harm, then the choice is up to you, CamoRam. Just a comment from experience: I've had no trouble with shifting since the transmission oil change. And now Geezer has me tempted to try the ATF. Anyone else got comments on the issue? It would be educational for all of us.

Since you will have the shifter opening accessible, I still suggest filling from the top will be easier than a pump. Geezer101 is quite correct about the fill plug: my own laziness prompted me to fill the oil before re-installing the shifter. It also assured fresh oil through the upper end of the transmission.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the kudos royster The (Australian) factory service manual for Mitsubishis fitted with BW manual transmissions actually specifies using ATF in them when performing any service or repairs. My local Mitsu fiend has used ATF in both BW and Japanese built manual transmissions and noted that he personally experienced the same 'shift load' in his 5 speed when he used a heavier gear oil as others had complained about.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    My only concern is for the regional differences, so it would be beneficial for some experts in the U.S. to offer their two cents. After all: you folks in Australia have "quarter windows" (we call them "wing windows" here) and those were never available on Ram 50's in the U.S.. So my concern is what specifications apply to this "market". Pennyman and the other "forum elders" probably can offer clues.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hmm. Well in my home city of awesome Adelaide we have temperatures that range from -6 to 46C (or 21.2F to 114.8F for all the guys who still insist on using old money...) As for the "quarter windows" thing on the Australian variant of the D-50, we are not amused. They pose as a gaping hole in being able to secure the cab, they rust and the general consensus is they are ugly. Most guys are looking for a way to fit full sliding glass into their L200's. They might have been the choice Mitsubishi made to cut costs as few L200's were fitted with air con and they were very much aware of what Australia's climate was like (ventilation of the cab and what-not...)

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    thanks for the input guys! i did not paint the truck but bought it like that. pretty sweet paint job though i love it. gonna go check out that gear oil now and talk to the guy at the autopart store. just had another question about my top fork being a little loose and if i should look in the upper housing or not. got a video will post in a min. also random gasket that came with this set, where should i be looking to find where it goes? dont have a manual or anything. IMG_20140725_155454083.jpgIMG_20140725_155501650.jpg

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    video: if I need to vid something else to help an informed audience just let me know. There's the link the only video on the profile.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    www.Dailymotion.com/CamoRAM profile, only vid on there

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    My guess is that the random bearing fell out of your speedometer cable junction when you removed the cable.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Will it still work without? And gotta get into the upper housing to put it back?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are a couple of ball bearings in the transmission and you really need to make sure they find their way home - one in the reversing switch (everyone has dropped that one) then there's the one in the right side of the gearbox extension housing that drops down into a gallery from under the top cover (it act as a locator for the shift rod) If you've removed the top cover on the extension housing this is more than likely the one you've dropped. It is held down in place by a spring that is pre-loaded by the top cover. Without it the shift will feel all out of whack.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Made another video! On the camo ram page ^^..how does the bearing sit for that spring? Just right underneath it? Hopefully bid helps. Or if you know a where I I should be looking for the diagram or manual that's has the shifter assembly. The mistsu manual I found on here only had the innards of the tranny.. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yep CamoRam, just drop the ball bearing into the gallery and sit the spring on top of it. The spring will protrude about 1/4" out of the gallery and when you replace the shifter mount/top cover it will compress the spring and load up the bearing.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Hmm this bearing is bigger then the hole..lol gonna have to take a look and see if this is another bearing?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    My guess is that the random bearing fell out of your speedometer cable junction when you removed the cable.
    This is seriously my bad: I meant the back-up light switch connection. As I recall there is a ball bearing in that switch: I had the same 'mystery bearing' appear when I removed my transmission some months ago. I finally figured out it goes in the back-up light switch.

Did you check to see if it fits in the reverse (back-up light) hole?

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    where is the reverse back up light switch located? want another pic or vid? thanks royster

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The back up/reversing switch is located about half way down on the right side of the extension housing - you can get to it from under the truck but the cross member will make it a challenge. It is kinda hard to get the bearing back in there once the transmission has been installed though...

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    What Geezer said...thing is, you had to disconnect it in order to drop the transmission, so it should be the only electrical connection you have there. I don't remember if it has a small spring or not, but this is what I think the "loose" bearing is from.

I'll look it up in my Hayne's book and see if there's info on it

EDIT:
    According to the manual, we're supposed to disconnect the back-up switch near the steering box.

I didn't.

I disconnected mine right at the transmission, and had to contend with a ball bearing.
    Last edited by royster; 07-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The ball bearing is held up into its seat by the back up/reversing switch actuator rod (the switch assembly has the mechanism built into it so at least there's one less thing to go missing). There are 2 bullet type connectors on the end of the switch assembly wiring.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    hey just wanted to say thank-you! was able to find the reverse light switch bearing placement and also got lucky enough to find a bearing that fit into that top load spring gallery. slapped it in yesterday and am happily on the road!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    We always enjoy success stories, CamoRam. Please keep us updated on how that all works out.