Array
    Status
    Roanoke
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

g54b balance shaft delete questions

Hey guess is there a how to some where that shows which oil passages I need to block. Is it like a 4g63 where I would only need to block the passages on one side? On the g54b, the two on the BS NOT running through the oil pump?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oooh, this is in relation to your other thread - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...haft-locked-up

Did you use the shaft bearing deletion 'rings' that came with the balance shaft delete kit or did you have the bearings knocked out and rotated to block off the oil galleries? It is crucial that the oil gallery feeds to the balance shafts are sealed off or you will experience severe oil pressure issues. Without those galleries blocked off there is nothing pressurising the oiling system - the oil will then flow through the path of least resistance which is straight out of those balance shaft oil galleries, leaving the rest of the engine starved of oil.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    awdjunki this may help you get an idea about the removal. The engine will have to be removed as well for the change. Be aware there are certain things that removal may effect, but it seems that more and more folks are crossing over to removal. I am one that has maintained the shafts in a recent rebuild, but it's all up to the owner as to what they decide.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Salutaions, AWDJUNKI, from a fellow Virginian in the Shenandoah Valley.

I have been observing the various pro's and con's of shaft removal, and from what i see, there has never been a good outcome from removing the balance shafts. They're there for a reason. A clue is the word "balance".

I'm strictly a sure-footed stock-design person. While you can modify these little trucks all day long, keeping them simple provides the least amount of future problems. In some respects, it is unfortuneate this forum "enables" so much competition to modify these trucks, but it depends on what each person's intention IS for their MM or Ram. My own view is that pouring hundreds, even thousands of dollars into a vehicle for "what others might think" in fleeting moments is not worth the time and energy. I find that the attention I get from my truck...when it occurs (I don't go looking for it)...is the appreciation of its original factory appointments. When I replaced the timing belt, i had the balance shafts out of alignment, so i know what the vibration feels like, and it isn't "cool".

To each, his own. What we all have most in common is that we are not interested in re-sale value from these trucks, though I wager that severely modified trucks don't bring a good market appreciation. This applies to insuring the vehicles, too...and the possible need to collect a settlement should you get t-boned.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The video that Brad put up isn't for the 4G54 (obviously) but it should be noted that, in that DSM graveyard 'tutorial' he uses a metal type freeze plug thing to seal off the upper balance shaft hole - this is really risky. They leave the cases open to cracking, leaking oil etc. Yes he does make a point of tapping it in gently and using an epoxy to glue it in (?) but if you use the right blanking seal it won't grief you at all.