Thread: New to me! 24 Hour Lemons racer!

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

New to me! 24 Hour Lemons racer!

So found a guy selling a d50 from a storage lot that had be a payment default.

The truck was in running condition then the clutch went out when he was using it to haul stuff around the property.

He ended up selling the motor out of it to some craigslist guy. But i have the rest of the truck.

I signed up here to see if anyone had done a sr20 swap into the d50 (manual 5 speed).

The goal is to turn this into a 24 hour lemons racer!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The SR20 swap has been done plenty of times - but why use one of those awful tractor engines when a G63B twin cam is a far better engine? It will also skip the headache of bolting it to a transmission and then playing with a custom tailshaft and engine/gearbox mounts. Mitsubishi's are awesome when it comes to parts adaptability. Plus this forum will be more than helpful if you're after info on how to do it right

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The SR20 swap has been done plenty of times - but why use one of those awful tractor engines when a G63B twin cam is a far better engine? It will also skip the headache of bolting it to a transmission and then playing with a custom tailshaft and engine/gearbox mounts. Mitsubishi's are awesome when it comes to parts adaptability. Plus this forum will be more than helpful if you're after info on how to do it right
    Why the sr20, cause they are cheap... And I happen to know them very well and have a ton of spare parts just laying around.
    And for a 24 lemons car having the spare parts is nice.

That being said, I only said sr20 since I know that engine and what it can do and im open to other suggestions. My budget is $500 and the truck/tranny (I think its the KM132) were $200 of that. So I have $300 for an engine.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    G63B could be called a forklift engine.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Could be noah! But when you compare the SR20 vs the 4G63 DOHC turbo, the Mitsu boat anchor is Boss. Stronger bottom end, better valve train, 20 kW more than the SR20 straight out of the box. Even the Nissan guys admit the SR20 isn't as durable as the 4G63 (the ones that aren't in denial anyway...) O.k. I think we're done flaming the SR20 swap tkensiski - you have one lying around that you're thinking of using? And what is the 24 Hour Lemons Race? It sounds like fun (track racing a D-50 with double the HP? )

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I have heard of an Orchard Racer before, race through the orchards until the farmer sees you and takes a couple shots at you with his salt rifle.

Welcome to the forum tkensiski.

We have not yet seen that swap before and if your willing to do it, we will watch. Seems that every time I see some type of swap it is always different from the rest. Don't let these guys discourage you, they are just looking out for your interest and hope to help you make the best decision. We are all Mitsubishi minded since they are good engines to go crazy with.
    Anyway, whatever swap you decide be sure to start a build thread and always keep it posted with your latest pics and progress. We all will be here if you get into a snag.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Doesn't really matter what the best engine swap would be since its a lemons racer. I thought the whole object of the race was to build cheap on a budget. That being said.....the transplant is delegated by what can be acquired cheaply.

Anyhow.....have fun with it and good luck with the swap