Array
    Status
    Roanoke
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

new guy need help. no oil pressure after balance shaft locked up

Hey guys new to the mighty Max. I purchased my 88 4x4 2.6 a few months ago and since then all I've had is trouble. Leaving work one day I noticed a strange noise when I started the truck up (idle sounded wrong) and the oil light was on. Long story short towed it home, found the left balance shaft had Locked up and broke the secondary chain and took some teeth off the outer crank gear.
    What I've done. I removed the balance shafts with an elimination kit and put on a new outer crank gear. I started the truck yesterday and the oil light stayed on. Checked the new oil filter and no oil is moving. Pulled the plugs and ignition coil and cracked it over, I did this multi times and nothing. The longest I held key at once was 30 seconds, I would think that would be long enough? Still no oil moving.
    I know I should have replaced the oil pump but it seemed to spin freely when I was removing the balance shaft. Now it seems like I'll have too.
    My questions. What else should I be looking for? What else should I replace?. I was told the timing chain was just replaced and seemed new when I was in there, no damage to either gear or the chain .ALSO, when the motor stared up it sounded right but when I was turning the motor trying to make the oil pump pickup oil with the plugs out I noticed a bit of a screaching noise when it would slow down after I let off the key. Could this be lack of oil? And is there any other way of priming the oil pump?
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    This may help. Or not.
    It's kind of the same thing just a belt. Did you put in an elimination kit? I would. It's just the easy way out.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/2325-Counter-Shaft-Elimination-2-0-L
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was wondering what elimination kit did you use AWDJUNKi? It normally doesn't affect start up oil pressure but there are some nasty cheap kits that don't have the oiling groove in the stubby oil pump shaft - these garbage kits cause excessive wear in the oil pump shaft journal and lead to failure. To get oil into the pump I have heard of the pump gear housing being packed in light grease to help the pump pull oil up from the sump. You can also manually fill the oil filter before screwing in onto the filter mount. You can try to pre-prime the block by getting an oil squirter type oil can and remove the oil pressure switch, then give it a couple of blasts of oil in there to get some oil into it. In that first few minutes in the start up of a fresh engine it's critical that you get oil flowing through it or it will quickly shred all your hard work and cash along with it.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If you have replaced your belts and stuff, be sure you didn't spin a main or rod bearing to the point it's blocking an oil port. If it possibly did, probably the #1 rod will tell you. No oil pressure in my case, removed the outer coating on a bearing in about 15 seconds at 25mph and ended up filling and sealing off the #1 rod oiler with the melted bearing coating. The holes are so tiny it is pretty easy to have happen. It was semi locked up, but I'm sure if I forced it to turn over it would have.

No oil pressure means blockage of some sort.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If he did not rotate in the new bearings so the oil hole is covered he won't have any oil pressure.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The problem sounds more like the pump itself. If the oil filter is dry, that means it's not being pumped since that's the first stop post pump.

You either have a clogged pick-up tube, a sheared pump gear (internal), lost the key way for the gear, or the relief valve is stuck open/broken spring.

These are the most probable aside from not putting oil in it at all to begin with.

The good news is all of these can be diagnosed easily. The bad news is you have to dismantle it again.

If the balance shaft locked up, it probably sheared the key off since it is gear driven. That's where I would look first. Until you find the problem, don't start the engine again.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I should've read the initial post more carefully. If there isn't any oil in the filter at all then something has definitely gone wrong with either the pick up assembly or the pump...