Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

shifter issue

So when I put my transmission into gear, I have a lot of play. Feels like neutral. What could be causing this?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Here's a place to start looking - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hifter-bushing

There isn't a lot that can go wrong with the shifter forks and rods. There are a couple of springs and retainers in the extension housing that 'could' break (but highly unlikely of) - that could make the shifter lever feel sloppy. The bolts holding in the top shifter plate can also come undone (lotsa fun when they pull out completely...)

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    That pretty much covers it ^^^

I'd say either the bushing bit the dust, or the bolts came out. I ended up having to drill and tap my shifter bolts larger to get everything to actually stay.

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm leaning toward Merrills post, I just had a shifter issue and it was the nylon bushing at the end of the shifter in the transmission...my temporary fix is...I used a 1/2 inch copper cap, the type used to cap off a soldered copper water line, the OD is a perfect fit for the recess in the transmission and 3 wraps of electricians tape on the shifter ball that goes into the nylon bushing into the transmission....BTW...normally I would use the correct part but it was a Sunday and no parts stores had the part and I needed to go to the dealer who was closed.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Those nylon bushings are available in a ton of Mitsubishi cars. 1g/2g Eclipse, 3g/4G Mirage, Dodge Colt, Montero Sport (manual trans), the Mighty Max (of course), Eagle Talon, Eagle Summit, that silly looking FWD van thing, Conquest, Starion..... and a bunch more.

I guarantee just about any junk yard would have one. If you are honest and try to pay, I bet they wouldn't even charge for it.

Array
    Status
    Kuna, ID
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I checked the bushing. It's still in tact. But I also looked at another 4wd and it has the same about of play?