Thread: Any pictures of a rear sway bar set ups for 2nd gen?

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Any pictures of a rear sway bar set ups for 2nd gen?

Hey there, I'm wanting to do a rear sway bar set up on my 88 mighty max but would love to see some pictures first! I know all kits are a "bolt on" aftermarket kit and I've been looking pretty hard at the belltech rear sway kit but it always says "picture may not be actual product" so I have no clue what I'm buying. Anyone else running a rear sway bar?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I don't have mine on yet, but I'm using a Montero Sport rear bar. It's not a bolt-on, but it will do the job and is cheap. Pretty sure it's a 26mm.

I don't know when I'll be tossing it on, but at some point I'll get to it.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    how does that hook up?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Using one or two sway bars, front or back, and what do they do for you.

Stabilizer bars are part of a car's suspension system. They are sometimes also called anti-sway bars or anti-roll bars. Their purpose in life is to try to keep the car's body from "rolling" in a sharp turn.

Think about what happens to a car in a sharp turn. If you are inside the car, you know that your body gets pulled toward the outside of the turn. The same thing is happening to all the parts of the car. So the part of the car on the outside of the turn gets pushed down toward the road and the part of the car on the inside of the turn rises up. In other words, the body of the car "rolls" 10 or 20 or 30 degrees toward the outside of the turn. If you take a turn fast enough, the tires on the inside of the turn actually rise off the road and the car flips over.

Roll is bad. It tends to put more weight on the outside tires and less weigh on the inside tires, reducing traction. It also messes up steering. What you would like is for the body of the car to remain flat through a turn so that the weight stays distributed evenly on all four tires.

A stabilizer bar tries to keep the car's body flat by moving force from one side of the body to another. To picture how a stabilizer bar works, imagine a metal rod that is an inch or two (2 to 5 cm) in diameter. If your front tires are 5 feet (1.6 meters) apart, make the rod about 4 feet long. Attach the rod to the frame of the car in front of the front tires, but attach it with bushings in such a way that it can rotate. Now attach arms from the rod to the front suspension member on both sides.

When you go into a turn now, the front suspension member of the outside of the turn gets pushed upward. The arm of the sway bar gets pushed upward, and this applies torsion to the rod. The torsion them moves the arm at the other end of the rod, and this causes the suspension on the other side of the car to compress as well. The car's body tends to stay flat in the turn.

If you don't have a stabilizer bar, you tend to have a lot of trouble with body roll in a turn. If you have too much stabilizer bar, you tend to lose independence between the suspension members on both sides of the car. When one wheel hits a bump, the stabilizer bar transmits the bump to the other side of the car as well, which is not what you want. The ideal is to find a setting that reduces body roll but does not hurt the independence of the tires.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Dude I know how a sway bar works. What I want to know is how the montero bar hooks up in the rear compaired to a aftermarket bolt on kit. But thanks for the post

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    It's welded on. It mounts to the front side of the diff and has tabs on the frame for the links. If you can't weld/fab, you may as well just spend lots of money on a bolt-on bar.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i can and do, i found this in the archives.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=13114 from the looks of it he's using a older Ford F-150 swaybar with some welded tabs. gonna go junk yard shopping next week!

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    There you go.... you can install any bar you want. Personally I dig the MS bar because of how it routes and installs (cleanly). I swapped to a narrowed 8.8 on my truck which has its own sway bar option as well. I just didn't want to use that one.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well i just got back from junk yard scouting and found the rear bar i need on a 1987 Ford F-150 so i'm going to nab it monday.
    But while i was there i ran across a 1988 Isuzu Pickup with a solid axle rear end with disk brakes, looked almost like the MM rear end but with disks. i saw that they also have 4:10 or 4:30's in them. has anyone does this rear end swap into a MM?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Year: 1988 Isuzu ISUZU PUP (PICKUP) Rear Axle

disc brakes 4x4 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
    disc brakes 4x4 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6Z)
    drum brakes (4.10 ratio, 41/10 teeth, GT5)
    disc brakes 4x2 4 leaf springs (4.10 ratio, 41/10 teeth, GT5)
    disc brakes 4x2 5 leaf springs (4.30 ratio, 43/10 teeth, S7C)

Array
    Status
    Nelson,New Zealand
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    I have played with sway bars,I am running 27mm on the front (stdwas25mm) I had a 19mm after market sway bar on the rear(bolt on) ,
    The reason I changed sway bars was to make my 96 series 2 double cab handle, I have since removed the rear sway bar as it was a total waste of time an money,on corners at speed I can get oversteer which I am trying to get rid of.
    To get rid of oversteer which all these trucks suffer from you need big front sway bars,an no rear sway bar.
    You can find that info anywhere on the net.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    S10 and Sonoma chassis have a bunch of different sway bar sizes for the front and they are extremely close to the same dimensions as the MM. I have a 33mm front bar for mine, but it will take a lot of cutting to get it in there. You could easily and inexpensively fit a smaller one to the MM. The smaller ones will only take a bit of trimming to install, but will still be an upgrade to the MM as long as they are bigger.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i just got done installing one on my 89' Mighty Max and it went pretty painless so far with the right parts. i still have to weld some tabs to the frame for endlinks but that will be after i get it back down on the ground.

Ford F250 Rear Sway Bar (3/4 inch thick) and bushing hold-down straps + Ford Ranger Rear Swar Bar Mounts and u-bolts (2 driver side mounts from two different trucks) + Energy Suspension Bushings = HAPPY STIFF REAREND

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Most Excellent Sir...

Kudos and accolades.!!!!

Admin, we need an thanks button

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Pardon me, Mr. Claych, sir: there IS a thank you button...a little star, lower left-hand side of each post...next to the triangle. (On the black line that says "blog this post").

I presume this information will be of nobel importance for a gentleman such as yourself.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Pardon me, Mr. Claych, sir: there IS a thank you button...a little star, lower left-hand side of each post...next to the triangle. (On the black line that says "blog this post").
    Well Then...
    As I have not seen the above on any of My posts, I humbly thank You sir, --- the magic of 'Mouse Over' --- does indeed show
    the star ( add rep ) and the dreaded triangle (report post ). its just hidden.

P.s,
    Royster if You 'Mouse Over' Your user title a tiny ribbon is displayed at the lower left corner of your screen with member #.
    Mr Member # 1334.
    I, As member # 1855 do indeed have a lot to learn.

Array
    Status
    abbotsford,B.C.
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    i am in the same boat, what size are stock front sway bars on a '90 2 wheel 2.4?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sway bars all size and types. With some fab work they will fit.
    http://1speedway.com/index.php?route...tegory&path=76
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Are there bolt on, front upgrading sway bar. And Where can I find one for my 93 mighty max?