Status
    Telford, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

89 Ram 50 rod question

Hello,

I just bought my daughter a ram 50 with the motor locked up. I am coming from a 2G talon background but the info i have been reading is saying that the rods are the same between a 89 G63B and the 4G63. Correct me if i am wrong but I was under the understanding that rods were not the same across the board. In this case I am hoping that is not true because I have found some nice prices on eBay on a rod and a few tidbits.

Thanks for any verification ahead of time,
    Chuck

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    1G rods are thicker than the 2G rods and are less prone to failure (really only relates to turbocharging). You can't use the 2G rods anyway as a result of excessive side play in the crank journals. Only way to be 100% sure on where you're at is pull out one of the rods and put a micrometer over it and compare dimensions. Let me guess - damage is in #1/#2 main journal?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Telford, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    No cap on #3 came off and scored rod journal. I dropped off crank at machine shop to have rod journals cut and polished as well as having the crank balanced. I will Ballance the rods and pistons my self. I'm deleting the balance shafts and want to make sure the rotating assembly is balanced and good to go.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The factory rods are pretty close in weight to each other (like a few grams difference) which I found surprising. Killing off the balance shafts takes a lot of weight off the driven rotating masses and improves oil pressure so that is a good move. When you go for a shaft delete on the oil pump driven shaft, use a factory stub shaft - it has both an oil journal groove and a gallery drilled through it. This will save the white metal on the pump gear cover from not being adequately lubed (the aftermarket shafts have been known to cause damage)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function